Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 90 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 11-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #1336
mangle
1996 ZJ 

Anyone know what size nuts are used to secure the TC to the trans?

This site lists the studs as M10x1.5 and the nuts as M8x1 (one, M8x1 is weird... two, they should obviously be the same thread).
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...category=20586

Have a better answer?

*edit* Looks like they're M10x1. Weird. Another post on this site mentions 3/8"-24.

mangle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #1337
Proph2010
1994 ZJ 

Im pretty sure they were all the same bolts and it was 9/16.
Proph2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #1338
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Has anyone here managed to take a WJ 242 that has the speedo sensor provision and just cut the hole out to use the ZJ speedo sensor? I was looking at a WJ 242J in the yard and it has the hole in the rear tail shaft housing but its got a small cast in section blocking the actual hole, the small retainer hole is even there just no actual speedo sensor hole.
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #1339
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
Has anyone here managed to take a WJ 242 that has the speedo sensor provision and just cut the hole out to use the ZJ speedo sensor? I was looking at a WJ 242J in the yard and it has the hole in the rear tail shaft housing but its got a small cast in section blocking the actual hole, the small retainer hole is even there just no actual speedo sensor hole.
less work just to find a ZJ or XJ case
dnuccio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #1340
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
less work just to find a ZJ or XJ case
Trust me I'd rather find a case that I can just swap in like an XJ/ZJ case but the thing is around here newer jeeps never hit our U-Pull-It yards, they get cherry picked by the wreckers who extort an enormous amount of money for used Jeep parts. I called around my local wreckers and the best I could find was a 96 ZJ 242 case with 200k on it for $250! To get a nice 97 XJ case w/ 100k they want almost $400. Its either Craigslist, which again has nothing in terms of 96+ vehicles or making something else work.

If all it takes to make the newer 242 a bolt in swap is to remove the tailshaft housing, take a hole saw to the speedo sensor hole and tapping threads for the hold down bolt I'm all over it, it'll save me $300 since I can get the case for $100 and maybe 45 min worth of work

This is the 242 case I'm looking at;
Unread 11-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #1341
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

I don't think it's that simple. The Speedo gear is driven by a set of "splines" on the mainshaft. If the wj case doesn't have the provision for the sensor, it most likely doesn't have the required splines to turn the sensor. Sure you could swap the mainshaft, but by the time you buy a new shaft, its cheaper and less work to buy a whole zj or xj tcase and be done with it
Unread 11-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #1342
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I don't think it's that simple. The Speedo gear is driven by a set of "splines" on the mainshaft. If the wj case doesn't have the provision for the sensor, it most likely doesn't have the required splines to turn the sensor. Sure you could swap the mainshaft, but by the time you buy a new shaft, its cheaper and less work to buy a whole 242 tcase and be done with it
After looking at exploded diagrams and parts lists it appears that 4.0 WJ 242 cases do in fact have the speedo drive splines on the main shaft whereas 4.7 V8 242's do not, the 242 in the 4.7 uses a completely different mainshaft, tailshaft housing etc. I just sent emails off to a couple NP/NV parts suppliers to double check their listings of the mainshaft part number interchanges so I'll know for sure in a few days.
Unread 11-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #1343
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
After looking at exploded diagrams and parts lists it appears that 4.0 WJ 242 cases do in fact have the speedo drive splines on the main shaft .
huh. I never would've guessed. Interesting
Unread 11-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #1344
JakeC132
1995 ZJ 

I have a 95 zj 5.2 with a late 95 np249. just pulled it out this week to swap in a np231 from a 96 xj. they are apart right now and the gear cut is in fact the same. Do i have to also swap the input bearings or should they be the same?
JakeC132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #1345
Georelle
1993 ZJ 

I have been reading through this to get ready to swap out the 249 in my '93 5.2 ZJ. After reading through many many pages I think I have it mostly figured out. I am looking at a 231 out of a 93 XJ not far away that I will swap in then do the input shaft swap.

I must throw my humble opinion out here on the sensor and switch for the VIC indicator. There seems to be a lot of concern and time spent on this. Mine was beeping at me every 5 minutes with a "Service 4wd Switch" warning when I bought the Jeep a year ago. So I basically defeated it. Took about 15 - 20 minutes. I figured that if I need the VIC to tell me where I have the transfer case shifted I am in deep trouble anyway.

So here is a simple option to defeat the TC sensor at the VIC so you don't have to worry about what is going on at the TC sensor. The VIC just shows all four wheels lit up for me now. This diagram is if the VIC is already wired up for your 249. Be sure to tape off the end of the cut wires that will not be reconnected. And the one that is connected to ground can be cut long enough to put a wire lug on the end to screw to the metal behind the VIC, there was already a hole there for a metal screw on mine.
defeat_fwd_switch.jpg  

Last edited by Georelle; 11-12-2012 at 09:14 PM..
Georelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #1346
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georelle View Post
I have been reading through this to get ready to swap out the 249 in my '93 5.2 ZJ. After reading through many many pages I think I have it mostly figured out. I am looking at a 231 out of a 93 XJ not far away that I will swap in then do the input shaft swap.

I must throw my humble opinion out here on the sensor and switch for the VIC indicator. There seems to be a lot of concern and time spent on this. Mine was beeping at me every 5 minutes with a "Service 4wd Switch" warning when I bought the Jeep a year ago. So I basically defeated it. Took about 15 - 20 minutes. I figured that if I need the VIC to tell me where I have the transfer case shifted I am in deep trouble anyway.

So here is a simple option to defeat the TC sensor at the VIC so you don't have to worry about what is going on at the TC sensor. The VIC just shows all four wheels lit up for me now. This diagram is if the VIC is already wired up for your 249.
easier to just disconnect the plug from the sensor, thats what i did
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #1347
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC132 View Post
I have a 95 zj 5.2 with a late 95 np249. just pulled it out this week to swap in a np231 from a 96 xj. they are apart right now and the gear cut is in fact the same. Do i have to also swap the input bearings or should they be the same?
input bearings will be the same
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #1348
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
is it just me, or does the tag say 242 WJ? i always thought they just said 242 J for jeep
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #1349
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
is it just me, or does the tag say 242 WJ? i always thought they just said 242 J for jeep
I dont have a picture of the one I'm thinking of buying but here's one just like it.

I honestly dunno what the difference is I because I've seen WJ's that say both 242J and 242WJ, both 6 cylinder Laredo models 1 model year apart, 2001 & 2002.
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #1350
Wulff

Quote:

If all it takes to make the newer 242 a bolt in swap is to remove the tailshaft housing, take a hole saw to the speedo sensor hole and tapping threads for the hold down bolt I'm all over it, it'll save me $300 since I can get the case for $100 and maybe 45 min worth of work

This is not as easy as it seems, I am a Journeyman toolmaker and this casting would need more than a simple hole saw, it would have to be set up in a vertical mill and using a boring head machined out. The tricky part would be trying to find out the exact location so the gears mesh properly. Second the sealing wouldn't be there and it would leak oil like crazy.
Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.