Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #121
EBT531
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
I don't have any experience wiring a two prong plug into a 4 wire switch. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult, I'll have to find a wiring schematic for each to find out though.

Is it really a big deal though? You already have the shift lever telling you what gear you're in.
Will be easier once I change the shift lever labeling. Right now its still factory 4-N-4L so I am going by feel what gear I'm in.

Unread 08-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #122
NickkciN
1995 ZJ 

I finished my swap last week. I have never done anything like taking a TC apart, but it was very interesting. Once i got it in, the old 249 shift linkage was definitely too long, so we are using shorter 231 tab like JrMechanic said.

As for the shift indicator sensor, I didn't bother plugging it in. I don't think I need it.

1995 ZJ Limited
IRO 5.5" Critical Path Long Arms
Armored and Aussie locked
NickkciN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #123
outlawjeep
1997 XJ Cherokee 

It's the wife's ride and she can be perticular about that stuff. I guess I didn't explain my question well enough...

I have the switch and plug from the XJ I pulled the 231 from. It has 4 wires just like the ZJ plug. Will this switch work with the ZJ if I cut and splice the wires from the XJ to the ZJ? Just wondering if anyone had tried that approach yet. I mean is there really a difference between the XJ switch and the ZJ switch?

If not I may play around with this and see if it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickkciN View Post
I finished my swap last week. I have never done anything like taking a TC apart, but it was very interesting. Once i got it in, the old 249 shift linkage was definitely too long, so we are using shorter 231 tab like JrMechanic said.
As for the shift indicator sensor, I didn't bother plugging it in. I don't think I need it.
Do you have any pics of the parts? There is a donor XJ in the yard but most of the linkage was gone and I want to make sure I find the right part.

Ray
outlawjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 03:38 AM   #124
NickkciN
1995 ZJ 

This is what you want from the 231 since it is shorter than a 249 shift tab.

1995 ZJ Limited
Unread 08-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #125
outlawjeep
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome that was still on the case when I bought it. Looks like I don't need to go back the the yard after all.

Ray
Unread 08-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #126
NickkciN
1995 ZJ 

After Installed my lift I sent my jeep to a friends shop and had him do some axle work, and while it was there I had him set up the linkage for me. Instead of using the 231 linkage I gave him, he cut and welded my old 249 linkage. IT DOESNT WORK DONT DO IT. I can't shift into 4lo now and the case slips out of gear every now and then.

1995 ZJ Limited
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #127
GoshenTop
1994 ZJ 

how much atf is too much??

I'm swapping out this weekend for a 242. When removing the 249, I noticed that my tranny-to-tc seal was fully coated w/ rtv. I was kinda surprised to see that much rtv oozing out. Anyway, as I was separating, I was prepared for some tranny fluid to leak out. What I wasn't prep'd for was the volume!! I would say that the entire area between the tranny and tc was filled with atf. I would hate to guess how much leaked out.

I'm guessing this is why it's recommend to replace the rear tranny seal (and why I picked one up yesterday). Or, is this the normal amount?

Also, do I need to use rtv when reassembling? I don't think I've read that that is required.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
GoshenTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #128
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshenTop View Post
I'm swapping out this weekend for a 242. When removing the 249, I noticed that my tranny-to-tc seal was fully coated w/ rtv. I was kinda surprised to see that much rtv oozing out. Anyway, as I was separating, I was prepared for some tranny fluid to leak out. What I wasn't prep'd for was the volume!! I would say that the entire area between the tranny and tc was filled with atf. I would hate to guess how much leaked out.

I'm guessing this is why it's recommend to replace the rear tranny seal (and why I picked one up yesterday). Or, is this the normal amount?

Also, do I need to use rtv when reassembling? I don't think I've read that that is required.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sounds like someone used RTV to mask a leak between the transmission and transfer case. The only place you may want to use RTV is a light film around the outer circumference seals before you install them.
Unread 08-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #129
outlawjeep
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, finished the swap yesterday. Man that was a breeze. Really didn't take anytime at all and I was able to re-use the stock drive shaft. The XJ one was too short. I do have to say though I didn't realize how much heavier the 249 was compared to the 231.

Thanks again everyone for the info.

On a side note I think I know how to get the 4wd indicator lights working w/ the 231 2 wire plug just need to find a ZJ wiring diagram for a '96. Anyone got one?

Ray
Unread 08-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #130
GoshenTop
1994 ZJ 

Bye Bye VC!!

The swap is complete. The 249 is ready for the scrap heap while the 242 is born again. Even did the VIC switch.

I'm glad I had the new rear tranny seal, as it was nice to replace while I was there.

All in all, not a bad job. I had the help of my 2 sons (12 and 10 year olds) to do the job over two days. Once I got the nut from he11 loose, it was smooth sailing.

I couldn't have done it without the wealth of information on this site.
GoshenTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #131
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshenTop View Post
The swap is complete. The 249 is ready for the scrap heap while the 242 is born again. Even did the VIC switch.

I'm glad I had the new rear tranny seal, as it was nice to replace while I was there.

All in all, not a bad job. I had the help of my 2 sons (12 and 10 year olds) to do the job over two days. Once I got the nut from he11 loose, it was smooth sailing.

I couldn't have done it without the wealth of information on this site.
I'm always happy to hear good feed back! So far there's been hundreds of questions answered in this thread and through PM's about my write up. I know these cases like the back of my hand, but there was a time when I didn't and finding good information was daunting, which is why I took my time to compile this thread for those who need it
Unread 09-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #132
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Dont think this has been posted in this thread, but its a nice way to compare your input shaft length to potential donor vehicles

Transfer Case Jeep, Quality Factory Remanufactured-Rebuilt Transfer Cases, Save Money! - Drivetrain.com
Unread 09-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #133
EBT531
1998 ZJ 

Anyone know if the rear trans seal is the same for the 5.9 as 5.2? I know its a different trans but wasnt sure if the seal is the same one
Unread 10-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #134
Oli
1994 ZJ 

Hello,

Sorry if this has been discussed a lot, but I still dont know what to get after readind every post I could about this subject...

I would like to do this swap (np231 or preferably np242) to get the locked front/rear in 4lo, but the more I read, the more I get confused about wich transfer case I should get. I have a 94 V8 with the 46RH trans, so I probably have the 1.55" 23 spline input shaft. I know that I will have to swap the input shaft, wich is fin with me. What is confusing me is the Annulus gear change that occured in 94.5. What happen if you get a transfer case with a different gear? Can you simply use the cover of the 249 on the 231/242?

I cannot tell you if my 249 is pre 94.5 or post 94.5 as my jeep is far right now, but I would really appreciate if someone could clarify this for both cases : from wich jeep can I get a np242 or np231 at the junkyard? My only criteria is to get one that wont necessitate me to get to the dealership to buy new parts... I would like everything such as the driveshafts, shifter linkage and 4wd switch to plug back without issues.

Thanks a lot !

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #135
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Hello,

Sorry if this has been discussed a lot, but I still dont know what to get after readind every post I could about this subject...

I would like to do this swap (np231 or preferably np242) to get the locked front/rear in 4lo, but the more I read, the more I get confused about wich transfer case I should get. I have a 94 V8 with the 46RH trans, so I probably have the 1.55" 23 spline input shaft. I know that I will have to swap the input shaft, wich is fin with me. What is confusing me is the Annulus gear change that occured in 94.5. What happen if you get a transfer case with a different gear? Can you simply use the cover of the 249 on the 231/242?

I cannot tell you if my 249 is pre 94.5 or post 94.5 as my jeep is far right now, but I would really appreciate if someone could clarify this for both cases : from wich jeep can I get a np242 or np231 at the junkyard? My only criteria is to get one that wont necessitate me to get to the dealership to buy new parts... I would like everything such as the driveshafts, shifter linkage and 4wd switch to plug back without issues.

Thanks a lot !

Oli
Taken from the first post of this thread

Quote:
The NP242 recipient is my buddy's 93 ZJ with the 5.2/46RH/249 with the long input shaft. The 242 donor was from a 92 XJ with the short style input shaft, meaning it was required for me to swap input shafts.

Parts Required:

NP231 or NP242 from an XJ or ZJ.

NP231: Part time transfer case used commonly in XJ's, YJ's, TJ's, ZJ's, etc. It offers 2wd, 4 part time, and 4 low.
NP242: Full Time transfer case used in XJ's and ZJ's. 2wd, 4 part time, 4 full time, and 4 low. The 4 full time feature is unique from the NP249 as it does not use a vicious coupler (what goes bad in the 249), but instead a mechanism similar to an open differential.

There are 3 different input shafts, .750", .840", and 1.55", as well as both 21 and 23 spline shafts. All ZJ transfer cases have a 23 spline input shaft, and all 92-01 XJ's have a 23 spline input shaft. 91 and older XJ's have the 21 spline input.

Your best bet is to find a transfer case with the same input shaft. If not, you can swap input shafts, but be aware of the annulus gear cut change that occurred in mid 94.

It's best to go by the build date on the transfer case, not the year of the Jeep when determining the gear pitch. Rule of thumb is cases with a build date of pre 94.5 will have the old style gear cut, and cases with a build date of post 94.5 will have the new style gear cut.

My personal experience is that a 249 with a build date of 3/94 still used the old style gear cut.

If you're swapping a 242, you can do what is referred to as a front case swap if you're in a bind with two different gear cuts (no pun intended.) The 242 and 249 both share the same front case half, meaning you use all the parts from the 242, with the exception of the 249 input, 249 planetary set, and 249 front case half.

Here's a general rule of thumb when determining your input shaft length. This is not always 100% accurate, so make sure you know what you have before buying a transfer case.

93-95 V8 ZJ's: 46RH transmission, 1.55" 23 spline input shaft
93-95 I6 ZJ's: Used both the .750" and .840" 23 spline input with the 42RE and AX15.
93 I6 ZJ's with the AW4: .750" 23 spline input
All 96-98 ZJ's: .840" 23 spline input

Drive shafts: While there are several different length drive shafts used though the years, the physical dimensions of the 231, 242, and 249 are very similar. The overall length of each case is within + or - 1/4" of each other, per slip yoke configuration. There are two different slip yoke styles used for the rear drive shaft: Internal and external slip yokes. They are easy to decipher from one another as, well, one has an internal shaft with a tail cone and the other has an external shaft with a dust boot. The external slip yoke is generally found in 96 or newer Jeeps while the internal slip yoke is found in older Jeeps. There is really no huge advantage to either style, however I like how the drive shaft splines are always submerged in ATF in the internal slip yoke case.

The biggest difference between the two is that the external slip yoke case is about 1.5" longer than an ISY case, meaning if you replace your ISY 249 with an ESY 242 for example, you will have to cut and balance your rear drive shaft or have the drive shaft from the donor Jeep on hand.
EDIT: Check out the link in my post above yours to see what vehicles possible have the same input shaft length, but off the top of my head I think in your case you HAVE to swap the input shaft

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.