Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-18-2010, 02:16 AM   #91
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Ok, lets see if I've got this correct.....

Based on what I've read here, my 1993 5.2 GC has a 46RH transmission and a 249 transfer case. I think I'd like to find a good 231 transfer case, because I like the simplicity of the 231's 4x4 options and I really have no use in my area of California for any full-time 4x4. 2wd, 4HI, and 4LO...... I like it. So, since I have a 1993 GC 5.2, there is no direct swap transfer case available, correct? I'll have to find a pre-94.5 231, because the gear cut on the post-94.5 is different than mine. I'll also need to change the input, right?

Heres my questions:

What exactly should I be looking for in a 231? What year range will work?

My input (according to this write-up) is a long 1.55", 23 spline. So will the input from my 249 work to swap into the 231?

Will I need to change/lengthen/shorten the driveshaft?

Will I need different shift linkage?

ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #92
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

You want a 231 from a 94 or older XJ or ZJ with a build date of pre 94.5. Yes you need the input from the 249. You should not need to modify either drive shaft, and your shift linkage will work.
Unread 05-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #93
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

What was the first year for the 231?
Unread 05-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #94
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

10char
Unread 05-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #95
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Thanks Jr., your posts have been a huge help and resource for information. I think I may have already located a 1989 231.
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #96
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

Awesome write up Jr. You seem to have straight to the point answers and have me wanting to do a 249>231 swap.

My question for you, if you know. I believe I have located a 1989 AW-4 trans with a 231 t-case(I still have to run the numbers). In which I have an 93 that I was told by a trans shop when I had it rebuilt. That my transmission is a 44rh transmission. I read your write and am under the assumption that all I need to swap is the input shaft or is the aw-4 and 44rh the same shafts? Just from looking at the t-case it states both are a 282 or 272 ratio(can't remember off the top of my head, but both t-case are same and are 249/231'J's)

So to conclude. I just wanted to confirm that all that is needed to swap is the input?
Unread 06-02-2010, 04:20 AM   #97
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

'Nuther question---

In the OP's write-up, he mentions that the 249's shift indicator sensor WILL NOT work in a 231 T-case. Ok, but what is a shift indicator sensor and what does it do? If its what I think it is, then I guess I don't need to bother with pulling out the VIC and switching the red and black plugs, because I won't have a sensor anyhow. Is this correct?

I bought a 93 ZJ donor and it has a 231, so I'm trying to collect as much information as I can before I do the swap.
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #98
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Bump for the question above.....
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #99
bstewart91yj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great write up with lots of info.

I want to ditch the NP242 in a 2002 WJ and swap in an NP231. I'm putting on a 4.5" RockKrawler X-Factor long arm lift and need an SYE. SYE options for the 242 are limited and the 231 is a better case IMO. Does anyone have any information on this swap? It looks like everything should work just fine I'm just not sure about the shifter linkage. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bstewart91yj; 06-05-2010 at 08:42 PM..
bstewart91yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2010, 12:14 AM   #100
li'l jeep
Always a Pirate

1997 ZJ 

silly question...i got a 97 ZJ w/5.2 and a 249 t/c. if i found a 96-98 ZJ with a 242 would i have to change anything? to expand, if i found one off an earlier ZJ would i have to change anything? or is it really all off the t/c mfg date?
GOD BLESS AMERICA!
li'l jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 03:38 AM   #101
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTheRad View Post
'Nuther question---

In the OP's write-up, he mentions that the 249's shift indicator sensor WILL NOT work in a 231 T-case. Ok, but what is a shift indicator sensor and what does it do? If its what I think it is, then I guess I don't need to bother with pulling out the VIC and switching the red and black plugs, because I won't have a sensor anyhow. Is this correct?

I bought a 93 ZJ donor and it has a 231, so I'm trying to collect as much information as I can before I do the swap.
Still hoping for an answer to this...... JrMechanic, where art thou?
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #102
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

The shift indicator sensor tells the VIC what gear position the transfer case is in. If your donor is from a 93 ZJ, the sensor on it should plug into your wiring harness, so yes you would want to switch plugs behind the VIC. If the sensor isn't on the donor case, you can either get one from the dealer or just use something to plug the hole. It's not a big deal if the VIC doesn't function properly.

Quote:
Great write up with lots of info.

I want to ditch the NP242 in a 2002 WJ and swap in an NP231. I'm putting on a 4.5" RockKrawler X-Factor long arm lift and need an SYE. SYE options for the 242 are limited and the 231 is a better case IMO. Does anyone have any information on this swap? It looks like everything should work just fine I'm just not sure about the shifter linkage. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not very familiar with WJ's, but I do know it's been done. I'd suggest talking to ezflip.

Quote:
silly question...i got a 97 ZJ w/5.2 and a 249 t/c. if i found a 96-98 ZJ with a 242 would i have to change anything? to expand, if i found one off an earlier ZJ would i have to change anything? or is it really all off the t/c mfg date?
Any 242 from a 96-98 ZJ will have the .840" input and bolt right in. The only catch is you may need the drive shaft from the donor vehicle if your 249 has an internal slip yoke and the 242 does not. The problem with using an earlier 242 is that they are hard to come by in ZJ's, and if you get one from an XJ it will most likely have the .740" input, and if it's early enough, a 21 spline input as well.

Quote:
Awesome write up Jr. You seem to have straight to the point answers and have me wanting to do a 249>231 swap.

My question for you, if you know. I believe I have located a 1989 AW-4 trans with a 231 t-case(I still have to run the numbers). In which I have an 93 that I was told by a trans shop when I had it rebuilt. That my transmission is a 44rh transmission. I read your write and am under the assumption that all I need to swap is the input shaft or is the aw-4 and 44rh the same shafts? Just from looking at the t-case it states both are a 282 or 272 ratio(can't remember off the top of my head, but both t-case are same and are 249/231'J's)

So to conclude. I just wanted to confirm that all that is needed to swap is the input?
The trans shop doesn't know what they are talking about. The 44RH was never used in anything Jeep, and I really don't think they were ever manufactured with the correct bell housing for the 4.0. You either have a 42RE or an AW4. You need to figure out which transmission you have before we can determine if an input swap is required.
Unread 06-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #103
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
The shift indicator sensor tells the VIC what gear position the transfer case is in. If your donor is from a 93 ZJ, the sensor on it should plug into your wiring harness, so yes you would want to switch plugs behind the VIC. If the sensor isn't on the donor case, you can either get one from the dealer or just use something to plug the hole. It's not a big deal if the VIC doesn't function properly.
Yes, my donor is from a 93 ZJ, but the donor vehicle has a 4.0 and a 42RE trans and my driver Jeep (also a 93 ZJ) has a 5.2 and a 46RH. Will that make any difference as far as the shift indicator sensor and plugs?
Unread 06-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #104
li'l jeep
Always a Pirate

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
Any 242 from a 96-98 ZJ will have the .840" input and bolt right in. The only catch is you may need the drive shaft from the donor vehicle if your 249 has an internal slip yoke and the 242 does not. The problem with using an earlier 242 is that they are hard to come by in ZJ's, and if you get one from an XJ it will most likely have the .740" input, and if it's early enough, a 21 spline input as well.
icic, but then can I change the rear half of the case? or would that just be pointless? (i have a feeling i know the answer to that) if i cannot fint the d-shaft i could have one made up or mine cut?

so really i only have to change the front half of the case if the splines are different?
GOD BLESS AMERICA!
li'l jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #105
bstewart91yj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

NP242 to NP232 swap

I just completed the 242-231 swap in the 02 WJ Laredo. I got the 231 out of a 1997 XJ with an auto. The input gear and bolt up were exactly the same as the 242 so it bolted right up with no modification. The XJ's shifter bracket faced down instead of up but the size and shape of the hole in the bracket was exactly the same. I removed the shifter bracket from the 242 and it worked on the 231 perfectly (sticking up instead of down). There was no modification needed for this swap other than I need new driveshafts. It looks like an XJ front shaft would work just fine on the front with a mild lift. I'm doing a 4.5" RockKrawler X-Factor long arm and the XJ shaft is going to be a little short at full droop. If anyone would like pics of anything let me know and I'll post some up.
bstewart91yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.