Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 59 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #871
onevision
1998 ZJ 

The long cone on the output of the transfer case is to accommodate the slip yoke that is used stock. At the end of the cone is a rubber seal, which can be pulled and replaced without disassembly. It's like a $8 part, and you want to make sure it isn't cracked and has a good seal all the way around drive shaft.

Of course, as a general rule, keeping the slip yoke isn't really the desired setup. Using a slip yoke takes up a longer distance, which increases your drive shaft angle and puts more stress on the joints. It also can completely have the drive shaft slip out and become disconnected if your suspension flexes enough. It best to get a short shaft kit with a fixed yoke, which is a pretty easy upgrade, but it also requires a new drive shaft. It is also possible to just modify your shaft, although it doesn't work quite as well and can cause vibration and/or low humming sounds.

Also while stacking washers may get you home in a bind, it's not a good long term solution, as it provides no real support.

onevision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #872
dballer28

Jrmechanic, I tried to pm u an ur box is full. I need a 231 with the sye for my 95 5.2 zj. U still building these?
dballer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #873
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

Hey sskilla,

How are you making out on the linkage issues?
I don't recall the user's manual indicating that the jeep would need to be in neutral and/or in motion to shift properly. From what I recall it only said shifting could be done at any "legal" speed. I'll have to look it up again, but worth giving a try.
Does putting the trans into neutral fix the issue with fully engaging 2wd?
I wonder if I can get into neutral & 4lo with this.

I think we're having the exact same issue. Currently in the linkage, I'm using the 249 shifter, the 242 trunnion rod, the 242 torque shaft, the 249 selector rod, and the 242 tc shift lever.

As I mentioned earlier, the torque shaft looks like it's near the end of its travel when going into 2wd (but still travel left for N & 4lo, so what's up with that?). I tried to remedy this by using the 242 selector rod, which is about 2" shorter, but both trunnion rods ended up being about 1/4" too short.

Maybe I'll pull back on the shifter to see if I can make this distance up.

I haven't tried anything since I last crawled under and put the jeep into 2wd again (not fully engaging), but the last time I tried, I wasn't able to get into neutral or 4lo. I couldn't see anything binding from underneath, I just couldn't get the shifter to go into neutral. I could do this manually from underneath, and I have managed it on occasion with the shifter. I wonder if maybe I had the trans in neutral on those occasions?

Additionally, I'm having the same issue with 2wd not fully engaging after going into any 4wd position.
I might get away with it once or twice, but eventually, it doesn't fully engage, usually displaying the symptoms of not turning smoothly, and sounding rough in the tc. At which point I usually crawl under, detach the trunnion rod, and manually pull the tc shift lever fully into 2wd.

EDIT: OK, the manual does say put trans in neutral to get into 4lo. Tried that and got 4lo!
I actually managed to get the shorter 242 selector rod to fit, by pulling back a bit on the shifter handle (it was halfway to 4pt) when I tried this. But still having troubles re-engaging 2wd (in park, idle, slow speed, or neutral). Changed back to the 249 selector rod, and manually shifted into 4pt and back a few times (which I normally have to do), re-attached the linkage and got it back into 2wd. But feels a little off. I'll have to try again.
As a note: I did swap the selector rods from the 2wd position, not neutral as the FSM indicates, which may have caused some issues.
Mediokrates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #874
onevision
1998 ZJ 

The stock shift linkage from the 249 won't work for the 231, or at least I couldn't ever get it to work. I jumped on AutoCAD and figured out what will work, but it takes a little fabricating. I'll find my diagram and post it later, plus I have some pics that may help the process for you
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #875
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

i think i finally got my cable shifter all dialed in medio (crossing fingers), but she still seems to have a hard time going in and coming out of 4lo sometimes.

i had to pull the center console off and make cuts into the slide bracket that the t-case shift lever runs in to have enough throw to fully engage all gears. which of course meant i had to make a cut in the bezel as well. im looking for a leather boot that will fit in place of the bezel to clean up the look of it.

as far as getting into 4lo and back into 2wd, yeah i have to be in neutral and moving at a slow speed to make it happen (even then i seem to have more grinding issues then im comfortable with, but i it goes in and comes out)

im starting to think i might try and find a 231 since its what i wanted originally anyway and see if it has the same issues.

i have some pics of how i rigged up the novak cable shifter, but was gonna wait until i found the leather boot and had the project 100% finished before posting any of it.
[SIZE="1"][B]'95 ZJ:[/B] 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump[/SIZE]

[B][I]It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.[/I][/B]

[size="1"][I]R.I.P. 2000 TJ[/I][/size]
[size="1"][I]R.I.P. '95 YJ[/I][/size]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="3"][FONT="IMPACT"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sskillas-build-thread-1408321"][COLOR="Black"]Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #876
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

I need some help guys. I have a 94 249 tc with the old gear cut. I was going to swap it for a 95 xj 231. What would I need to do? I'm hoping it has the same input shaft but I highly doubt it. So could I just put a .750 input in place of a .840? What would you guys recommend?
stormer1092 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #877
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

I've already responded to one of the multiple places you've asked this question.
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #878
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
I've already responded to one of the multiple places you've asked this question.
I posted it once before and I never got a response.
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #879
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...stion-1283627/

The answer is also on the original post of this thread.
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #880
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...stion-1283627/

The answer is also on the original post of this thread.
ok my bad I must have not seen your response. My apologies
Unread 11-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #881
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

@ sskilla,

Sounds good! I would like to see those pics.

Now that you mention the 231, it might be something to consider in the spring. I don't plan on using 4pt... unless we get some crazy snow on the roads which doesn't get plowed. I wouldn't plan going out in that unless in an emergency. I don't do much off-roading, just the trail at the farm to the back of the property. It's kinda narrow, winding, and rides the edge of a small ravine, so not the best place to drive if it's icy... we just walk to the back then.
I also never use 4lo, since I'm never pulling anything or doing serious off-roading.
What interests me is 4hi, neutral, and 2wd. 2wd for the smoothness of the ride and mileage, 4hi for extra control on wet and snowy roads, and neutral for getting towed!

This 242 was the only one for sale at the time, but I see a couple 231s on sale for about $100 right now.

As for this 242, I was kinda worried that it was binding or that the selector fork was going, but I don't have any real problem manually changing gears on the tc.

I might try the shorter shift lever rod from the 242 again, and try going into 2wd with greater authority and/or while in neutral, and see if that resolves the issue.

As I mentioned earlier, I had to pull the shifter handle partway into 4pt to make up the 1/4" needed to use this method... and if I lose the ability to get 4lo, well like I said, didn't plan on using it anyway.

Otherwise I'll see if I can find/make something that will work.

I'll probably drain the tc in the next month, and refill it with some better fluid too.

I started all this to get rid of the binding on tight turns that the 249 was causing. I love the smoothness of the 2wd, but don't want to give up my 4hi. Love that too.
Mediokrates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #882
onevision
1998 ZJ 

You know, for the application that your talking about, I don't think you can get much of a better bolt on solution than the 249 NV transfer case. It handles miles better on the road than the 231 or the 242. I've driven mine going up the canyon doing 70 with 14" of snow, with people in my vehicle all freaking out, which I was then inclined to demonstrate that you literally can't make it slide - as a jerked the wheel left and right. I'd never put anyone else at risk - it's one thing to get crazy by yourself, but not with others in the vehicle with you. 8-)

The 249 uses Quadratrac, which is full-time all wheel drive, and like I said, great for the road. Sucks for 4-wheeling since it doesn't do a 50/50 split front to rear, instead it uses a dynamic system. So on the freeway, you'd be something like 90% rear and 10% front. While I like having the option of 2 wheel drive, like the 231 case has, it doesn't change anything as far as gas mileage or wear and tear on parts. Unless you have locking/unlocking hubs, everything is going to turn whether it's engaged or not, so you may as well have it engaged - since you never know when your going to need to swerve. 8-) You know, I use to swap out my 231 to my 249 every winter, just because it performs so much better and I usually don't do much wheeling in the winter.

If your 249 was binding when your turning, then you need to look at your Trac-loc in the rear differential, since the transfer case won't cause that. Chances are you've busted a retainer clip on your rear diff clutch pack, which will bind when under stress then. I'd almost guarantee that is the cause of the problem your describing.
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #883
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

^ Uh, sorry, but all 249s bind eventually when the viscous coupler fails. If you think otherwise, then you have a lot to learn.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #884
4xclimb
1994 ZJ 

additional question???

So is the bottom line that if you do little to mild trail wheeling, the 249 is fine and if you want to get crazy and go places you shouldn't do the conversion? I have other concerns like a week rear 35 axle and I'm trying to figure out best where to spend my funds. Any input is ALWAYS considered. Thanks.
4xclimb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #885
SMGORDON1259
1995 ZJ 

Tons of reading here whew! I have a 95 JGC laredo 5.2v8, 46rh trans, and a 249 j t/c 2 1 95 2 . I want to know is there any direct swaps of a 242 without mods?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.