Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 58 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #856
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

i dont wanna jinx myself but i think ive made some strong headway with my linkage fiasco.

ive been having the problem of needing about 1/2" more play to fully engage either 4Lo or 2wd depending on how my cable is adjusted. so what i did was pull the center console off and remove the slide bracket that the T-case shifter slides in when shifting. with that out of the way i am able to engage all gears.

so now (after destroying the bracket trying to cut the slot longer) i am going to the JY to find another that i can modify. i could just leave it out and pull the spring off the shifter but i would like it to have something to follow rather than scraping my console up.

also, i feel pretty dumb about this, but i noticed that in order to smoothly engage 4lo (or 2wd after being in any 4wd position) you need to be moving and in neutral. again, i feel kinda dumb about it, but i dont remember my 231 in my TJ ever needing to be in motion.

anyway im going to try and finish this up this weekend.

[SIZE="1"][B]'95 ZJ:[/B] 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump[/SIZE]

[B][I]It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.[/I][/B]

[size="1"][I]R.I.P. 2000 TJ[/I][/size]
[size="1"][I]R.I.P. '95 YJ[/I][/size]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="3"][FONT="IMPACT"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sskillas-build-thread-1408321"][COLOR="Black"]Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #857
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

Hey Jr,

I'm using the short transfer case shift lever for the 242.

I thought about using the longer one from the 249, maybe it would give me the extra length needed to use the short shift lever rod, but I left it at the farm with the rest of the 249.

Right now I'm using the torque shaft (same angles, and arm lengths as the 249) and the selector rod (same length as 249) from the 242. Right now the only 249 parts in the linkage are the shifter assembly and shift lever rod.
Mediokrates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #858
wildman90
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ok,

i got 231 with 23 splines and an external slip yoke. the drive shaft was not immediately available. could someone with an external slip yoke PLEASE measure the length of the rear drive shaft? from u-joint center to u-joint center would be great.

if i plan to install a 2" budget boost, would that affect the driveshaft length requirements?

TIA- chuck

the only thing you cannot do, is that which you have already accepted defeat!

many people search for god in the eleventh hour, only to die at 10:30
wildman90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #859
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

you wont need to worry about the drive shaft at 2"
[SIZE="1"][B]'95 ZJ:[/B] 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump[/SIZE]

[B][I]It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.[/I][/B]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="3"][FONT="IMPACT"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sskillas-build-thread-1408321"][COLOR="Black"]Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 10-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #860
wildman90
1993 YJ Wrangler 

anyone got a line on the slip yoke boot? i looked at rockauto in the 2000 and 2001 cherokee sections and cannot locate it.

Unread 10-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #861
onevision
1998 ZJ 

Das Boot

Boot? No boot on the slip yoke. With a 2" lift, you should be just fine using the same drive shaft. I flexed mine out about as far as was possible with my 3" budget boost, and still had length (although not much). I wouldn't waste money getting a new one that will only be like 1/4" or 3/8" longer. Wait until you get a suspension lift or do the short shaft kit on your transfer case. 8-)
onevision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #862
89xj_hines
1998 ZJ 

installed the 242 yesterday! everything was easy up until linkage. my 5.9 has the transfer case drop bracket so the angle for the linkage is off and then asking it to go threw the added movement it just wants to pop out. so im fabbing new brackets up today!
89xj_hines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #863
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

good luck 89xj, i just got mine all together and the console put back in. so far lookin good.

Unread 10-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #864
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

In the middle of the swap, and getting ready to swap sensors into the 242.

Now I can leave the front sensor that came in the 242 in place, correct? It has the same 4 prong connector as the one in my 249.

Now the sensor close to the rear output, I have to swap that one correct? Now do I just swap the (white) sensor part, or do I need to unbolt the locking tab and switch the whole (black part) assembly?

And if so, how do I get it out?

Thanks!

EDIT: Figured it out. I just kept wiggling the sensor until it staetred to move, then I was able to stick a flathead screwdriver under it and pry it out.

Sawp is done, all I need to do is connect and adjust the linkage. I'll save that for another day, I'm sick of wrenching for today.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #865
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

Has anyone put a .750 input in place of a .840 input?
stormer1092 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 03:24 AM   #866
MeloD
1995 ZJ 

Is there any chance to wire the 2 prong 242 shift sensor plug to the 4 prong 249 plug? To show Full Time, Part Time on the VIC. Which colours should be connected?
MeloD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 06:12 AM   #867
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

For connecting a two prong switch to a four prong connector, refer to this link:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...l#post12051870

I don't remember having to do this on my swap
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #868
wildman90
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ok,

i have the 231 with external slip yoke. how do i get the rear tail cone off. there is a "seal protector" on the rear shaft. how does this come off?

TIA- chuck

Unread 11-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #869
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89xj_hines View Post
installed the 242 yesterday! everything was easy up until linkage. my 5.9 has the transfer case drop bracket so the angle for the linkage is off and then asking it to go threw the added movement it just wants to pop out. so im fabbing new brackets up today!
What about stacking washers under the bracket on the trans side
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #870
Bert49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert49 View Post
Hey all
I just finished up a 249-242 swap on a 97 zj v8 ltd. I found a 242 off of a 98 Laredo 6 cyl and I also picked up the rear drive shaft since the output on the 98 was external. everything swapped right in no problem but I think the drive shaft from the 6 cyl. downer is too short and the original is too long. Is it ok to only have 2 1/2 inches of slip yolk on the output shaft ? seems to drive fine and I do not have a lift.
Update
Got a few hundred miles on her including some snow time in 4wd full time and everything is working good. I did jack up the rear to full extension and the drive shaft didn't fall out Looks like its only moving about an inch so I think I'm not going to worry about it.
Bert49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.