Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 50 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 10-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #736
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediokrates View Post
I'm wondering whether anyone who's done the swap has seen this, and whether it may pose a problem.

Looking at the current config of the 249 that's in place, I notice that the speed sensor slot is about 3" to 4" farther back than that on the 242.

The 249 sensor socket is about 4" from the rear case.

The 242 sensor socket is about 1" from the rear case.

My assumption is that the wiring for the sensor will have enough play (having said that... I HATE assumptions).

Additionally, it appears that the 242 socket, once installed will be placed btw those 2 lines in the upper left. I'm curious as to whether there will be enough room for the speedsensor, without moving them.

Any ideas?
i didnt have any issue with it.

[SIZE="1"][B]'95 ZJ:[/B] 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump[/SIZE]

[B][I]It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.[/I][/B]

[size="1"][I]R.I.P. 2000 TJ[/I][/size]
[size="1"][I]R.I.P. '95 YJ[/I][/size]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="3"][FONT="IMPACT"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sskillas-build-thread-1408321"][COLOR="Black"]Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #737
tinow
1995 ZJ 

The wiring worked on my swap just fine on the speedometer wire. The Transfer Case indicator wire just barely made it on my swap but you should be just fine.
tinow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #738
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

ive read that the 231 shift linkage, or at least the tab is about the same length as the 242 and will work in its place. is this true?

there are a ton of older 231's at the pick'n pulls in my area and the only jeep yard that says they might have one for the 242 wants $100 for the whole assembly.

just wanted some verification before i go pull one.
[SIZE="1"][B]'95 ZJ:[/B] 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump[/SIZE]

[B][I]It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.[/I][/B]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="3"][FONT="IMPACT"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sskillas-build-thread-1408321"][COLOR="Black"]Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #739
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

Hey sskilla,

I've got no idea whether the 231 tc shift lever will work or not. I found an image online:

http://image.jpmagazine.com/f/367857...ansfercase.jpg

and I think it looks a little long.

The 242 shift lever is 3". I'm guessing the 231 is about 4".

Though I wonder if it might be possible to get it to work, maybe if you adjusted the placement of the trunnion on the selector rod.
Mediokrates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #740
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

ok i went to the pick'n pull and found a 90 cherokee with the 231 in it.

i pulled the tab and the bar attached to it, but the bar appears to be too short after installing it. i dont have a full range of motion with the handle in the cab.

do you think i can use just the tab with my 249 rod? if so, anyone know a good way to get the tab off without breaking that plastic fitting?

Unread 10-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #741
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

Hey sskilla,

Do you mean the grommet in the shift lever?

I've been told that all you need to do is pry it out with a wide flat screwdriver or pry-bar. I would assume you would then pop it onto the 249 shift lever rod (which I assume is still in your truck), probably with some sort of vice grips or something (let me know how you do it).

My understanding has always been that the shift lever rod was the point at which things did not need to be switched out. If that's correct, then you should be able to use the 231 shift lever with the 249 shift lever rod and get full range on a 231 (but you're putting in a 242, right? so I don't know).

Good luck and let me know how it went.
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #742
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

yeah thats it.

i managed to pry it off the 249 bar with my bare hands and some leverage.

the 231's little post that goes through that grommet is a little longer so i had to step on it and pry it with my hands while wedging a screw driver in there to get it to come off.

of course now i cant get the other side with the rubber grommet back into the linkage

good news is i got 2wd to work so now i know all positions function. if i dont find a way to get this linkage back together soon i think im gonna spring for the novak cable shifter.

thanks for the help and info everyone, while not 100% im calling this project a success lol

Unread 10-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #743
Darman
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskilla View Post
if you get one that is 23 spline then it is a direct swap. if you have an internal slip yoke 249 and swap to an external slip yoke 242 you will need the rear drive shaft from the donor vehicle as well.

if you get a 21 spline 242, yes you will need to do a front case swap and use your input gear and the front half of your 249 case.

so my 249 is 23 spline external slip yoke?
if i find a 242 with 23spline and ESY but the wrong input shaft length then id just need to use my input shaft right? not the whole planetary gear set?
Darman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #744
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

I just pulled my shift lever off the rod, using 2 flatheads and my boot.

I think perhaps a good vice grip or even a small vice might come in handy when putting it on the 249 shift lever rod.

It might be a tight squeeze, but the thought occurs to me that's what a little lube and a shoe-horn were made for
Unread 10-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #745
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

@ Darman

Sounds right to me. I was planning on using whatever planetary appeared to be in the best condition, since they're interchangeable.
Unread 10-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #746
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darman View Post
so my 249 is 23 spline external slip yoke?
if i find a 242 with 23spline and ESY but the wrong input shaft length then id just need to use my input shaft right? not the whole planetary gear set?
i forget what year your donor is, but if they are of the same gear cut (95 or later it sounds like) then yes you can just use the input shaft. if they are not then you will use the front half of your 249.

Unread 10-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #747
Darman
1995 ZJ 

its an 02 np242.
i believe my 249 was made dec 94
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #748
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darman View Post
its an 02 np242.
i believe my 249 was made dec 94
wow how the heck did you find such a new 242... i think i found one of the only 2 242's in my area and they are both 93's.

for some reason i thought the gear cut change occured in mid 95?? but ive seen a lot of people say mid 94, so make sure you are good on that.

if you are then yeah its just the input shaft length you gotta worry about

Unread 10-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #749
Darman
1995 ZJ 

im not sure on my gear cut. i think its new but not 100%. if its the old one then i just have to put my old panetary gears in the 242 correct?
Unread 10-03-2011, 06:01 AM   #750
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

I'm pretty sure you can use the planetary gears even if it is the same gear cut, but you must use them if the gear cut is different, plus you'd have to do a front case swap, which aside from some drilling doesn't sound too difficult.

Edit:
JrMechanic Wrote:

"If you're swapping a 242, you can do what is referred to as a front case swap if you're in a bind with two different gear cuts (no pun intended.) The 242 and 249 both share the same front case half, meaning you use all the parts from the 242, with the exception of the 249 input, 249 planetary set, and 249 front case half."

JrMechanic Wrote, regarding planetary sets and similar gear cuts:

"You can either use the entire planetary set and input from the 249 (what I opted to do) or you can use the 249 input in the 242 planetary."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.