Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 49 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 09-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #721
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

Did that by hand with a wire brush.
I was thinking of painting it, with engine paint or something, but I don't think I'm gonna bother getting it clean enough.
There's still some spots that need cleaning, like around the speedosensor. I didn't want to pull the sensor and risk getting gunk in the hole. I'll clean that up once the rear housing is off.
Now I'm thinking I should do the front casing around the front bearing retainer (to help keep the inside clean), and the yoke.

Mediokrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #722
ny_driver
1993 ZJ 

Who's looking to see how clean and pretty the 4WD unit is?
I considered cleaning everything in my 93'/94'-4.0/AW4/231 build, but I decided that's not what matters.
ny_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #723
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

What's that Plug?

OK, I've been rereading Jr's OP, and have a few more questions:

1. I'm going to toss the speedosensor for the 242 (black plug on the rear extension housing) and use the one from the 249? but keep the shift indicator from the 242 (black plug on the front case?)?

2. In the section Removal & Installation, Jr says:

"Remove the shift linkage from the Tcase, along with the speed sensor and shift indicator connectors."

"Remove the shift linkage from the transmission by placing a pry bar between the linkage and the mount."

First, is he referring to the Torque Shaft, which the FSM diagram shows plugging into the trans? If so, wouldn't that necessitate disconnecting the bracket from its mount?

Torque Shaft

Why are we removing the torque shaft and shift linkage assembly from the transmission? Shouldn't we just be able to switch out the tc shift levers and reattach it to the shift lever rod.

Ughhh. I think I've learned just enough to get myself confused.
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #724
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

When i pulled the tc from the jy you cant get the nut off the tc without removing the bracket from the auto trans
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #725
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

@ squazz,

The shift lever nut? Or does the shift lever not clear the bolt unless you remove the torque shaft and bracket? I'm not really following you.

@ ny_driver

Spoken just like someone who does everything they have to do.

I, on the other hand, try to do everything that can be done
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #726
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

One of the 6 nutz that hold the tc to the trans cant be removed without removing the other side of torque shaft bracket located horizonal on the trans (the bracket is verticaly mounted on the 5speed) it is not pictured in the photo you posted im not sure how the person that took that pic got the mount off the unibody side
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #727
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Part # 20
Unread 09-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #728
ny_driver
1993 ZJ 

Weird, when I pulled the 231 from the 95ZJ it was 6 simple nuts that were easy to reach after unbolting the crossmember.
ny_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #729
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_driver View Post
Weird, when I pulled the 231 from the 95ZJ it was 6 simple nuts that were easy to reach after unbolting the crossmember.
I dont find that hard to believe after pulling axel shafts and finding jeep changed from 10mm caliper bolts to 8mm at some time between 93&98. No standard when it comes to theise Zj's
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #730
Bert49

Hey all
I just finished up a 249-242 swap on a 97 zj v8 ltd. I found a 242 off of a 98 Laredo 6 cyl and I also picked up the rear drive shaft since the output on the 98 was external. everything swapped right in no problem but I think the drive shaft from the 6 cyl. downer is too short and the original is too long. Is it ok to only have 2 1/2 inches of slip yolk on the output shaft ? seems to drive fine and I do not have a lift.
Bert49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #731
Darman
1995 ZJ 

ok so im looking to pick one up. i have a v8 95 249 so im going to have to use my input shaft. does it matter what spline count it is? or if they are different ill just have to use my planetary gears instead correct? also my 249 is external slip yoke., if i get a 242 with a internal slip yoke will my rear drive shaft still work with it or will it be to short
Darman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #732
sskilla

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darman View Post
ok so im looking to pick one up. i have a v8 95 249 so im going to have to use my input shaft. does it matter what spline count it is? or if they are different ill just have to use my planetary gears instead correct? also my 249 is external slip yoke., if i get a 242 with a internal slip yoke will my rear drive shaft still work with it or will it be to short
if you get one that is 23 spline then it is a direct swap. if you have an internal slip yoke 249 and swap to an external slip yoke 242 you will need the rear drive shaft from the donor vehicle as well.

if you get a 21 spline 242, yes you will need to do a front case swap and use your input gear and the front half of your 249 case.
'95 ZJ: 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump

It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.

R.I.P. 2000 TJ
R.I.P. '95 YJ

sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #733
sskilla

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert49 View Post
Hey all
I just finished up a 249-242 swap on a 97 zj v8 ltd. I found a 242 off of a 98 Laredo 6 cyl and I also picked up the rear drive shaft since the output on the 98 was external. everything swapped right in no problem but I think the drive shaft from the 6 cyl. downer is too short and the original is too long. Is it ok to only have 2 1/2 inches of slip yolk on the output shaft ? seems to drive fine and I do not have a lift.
im sure someone has a better answer than me, but i would say that you need the correct length drive shaft.

i guess you could try jacking up the rear of the jeep until the rear axle is fully drooped and see if your yoke slips off.
'95 ZJ: 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump

It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.

R.I.P. 2000 TJ
R.I.P. '95 YJ

sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #734
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

All this talk about drive shafts and ISYs & ESYs, I thought I'd confirm something in Jr's OP:

"Drive shafts: While there are several different length drive shafts used though the years, the physical dimensions of the 231, 242, and 249 are very similar. The overall length of each case is within + or - 1/4" of each other, per slip yoke configuration. "

My current tc, a March 93 249, has the ISY configuration, using a single piece rear retainer assembly, which measures 7 3/4".

My replacement tc, a Jan 91 242, also has the ISY configuration, using a combination of rear bearing retainer and extension housing, which together measure 7 1/2".
Unread 10-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #735
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

Room for the speed sensor?

I'm wondering whether anyone who's done the swap has seen this, and whether it may pose a problem.

Looking at the current config of the 249 that's in place, I notice that the speed sensor slot is about 3" to 4" farther back than that on the 242.

The 249 sensor socket is about 4" from the rear case.

The 242 sensor socket is about 1" from the rear case.

My assumption is that the wiring for the sensor will have enough play (having said that... I HATE assumptions).

Additionally, it appears that the 242 socket, once installed will be placed btw those 2 lines in the upper left. I'm curious as to whether there will be enough room for the speedsensor, without moving them.

Any ideas?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.