Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 48 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #706
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

Great work sskilla!

Got any pics... b4, during, after?

How much RTV did you use? Would the 80ml be enough or should I go big and get the 300?

Hope your around when I do mine in a couple weeks.

Mediokrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #707
Darman
1995 ZJ 

i have a 95 v8 zj with a 249 external slip yoke. if i put a 242 with external slip yoke will my front and rear drive shafts work?
Darman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #708
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darman View Post
i have a 95 v8 zj with a 249 external slip yoke. if i put a 242 with external slip yoke will my front and rear drive shafts work?
yes, but you will more than likely need to swap the input from your 249 into the 242
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #709
Darman
1995 ZJ 

ok, thats what i figured since i have the long input shaft. just aslong and when im done its not like "crap my drive shafts are to short/ to long".
also would the TC be closer to the front of the vehicle or sit in the same place?
Darman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #710
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

here's a question:

can the t/c be painted with engine paint?

Edit: probably ain't gonna happen. I don't think i'll be able to get it clean enough. Nice thought though.
Unread 09-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #711
sskilla

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darman View Post
ok, thats what i figured since i have the long input shaft. just aslong and when im done its not like "crap my drive shafts are to short/ to long".
also would the TC be closer to the front of the vehicle or sit in the same place?
same place. it almost looks identical to the 249
'95 ZJ: 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump

It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.

R.I.P. 2000 TJ
R.I.P. '95 YJ

sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #712
sskilla

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediokrates View Post
Great work sskilla!

Got any pics... b4, during, after?

How much RTV did you use? Would the 80ml be enough or should I go big and get the 300?

Hope your around when I do mine in a couple weeks.
thanks! we'll see how great it is once i get it back in and it doesnt explode lol. i just managed to ruin my new tranny output seal trying to install it so im about to head to the parts store and see if they have one. hoping to get this thing in tonight.

i just used a little tube of ultra black.. actually dont think im gonna even use the whole tube.

i by no means a pro at this lol, but i am on the forum everyday so ill offer up anything i can to help smooth your project
'95 ZJ: 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump

It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.

R.I.P. 2000 TJ
R.I.P. '95 YJ

Unread 09-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #713
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

How'd ya ruin the trans output seal?

I think someone posted using a 2" pvc pipe and mallet to tap it in. I might be thinking about another seal though.
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #714
zonecone
1995 ZJ 

231 swap

ok i just got 231 j from a buddy for free. the input shaft measrues the same as my 249, 23 splines so this should be direct bolt up right. no need to swap out any other things right. its going into my 1995 zj with 5.2 awd
zonecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #715
sskilla

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediokrates View Post
How'd ya ruin the trans output seal?

I think someone posted using a 2" pvc pipe and mallet to tap it in. I might be thinking about another seal though.
banged it like a dummy and got half of it stuck too far in there.. ruined it tryin to pry it out.

R.I.P. 2000 TJ
R.I.P. '95 YJ

Unread 09-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #716
sskilla

1995 ZJ 

ok so i got it back in the jeep, i even fired it up and rolled around the block. no explosion so thats good, however i cant find 2wd. i had the shifter on what i believe to be upside down and i had 4 full time, neutral and 4 part time. flipped the shifter linkage to the top side ( i think thats the way it goes lol) and now i got 4 part time and neutral.

ive tried moving the lever and adjusting the linkage both ways and cant seem to find 2wd... you think i messed somethin up in the case?? i tested all positions before sealing it up and it seemed to be workin fine.

ideas?

edit: I think i need the shift linkage from a 242.. i was underneath playin with it and it seems that the 249 linkage hits the case before allowing it into the 2wd position. crossing fingers lol

R.I.P. 2000 TJ
R.I.P. '95 YJ

Unread 09-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #717
sskilla

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonecone View Post
ok i just got 231 j from a buddy for free. the input shaft measrues the same as my 249, 23 splines so this should be direct bolt up right. no need to swap out any other things right. its going into my 1995 zj with 5.2 awd
sounds good to go my man. both external slip yoke?

R.I.P. 2000 TJ
R.I.P. '95 YJ

Unread 09-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #718
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

I think that's it exactly sskilla. From what I've read, the 249 transfer case shift lever will not work on the 242:

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/tcase.html

At the bottom of the page, you can see a picture of the 2 levers. The 249 is twice as long as the 242.

I've tried to replicate what you're reporting, and I think I can explain.
First, I believe your initial installation had the correct configuration (if not parts). But because the tc shift lever is so long, you are unable to shift into the extreme ends of the gear range (2WD & 4Lo). 4Lo is prevented, as the tc shift lever is probably in contact with the tc front case at this point; whereas, 2WD cannot be entered because the tc shift lever cannot be pulled forward far enough into the proper position.

This is the part you're looking for:

I'm pretty sure this is how it attaches. After going through the FSM, and looking at how the entire shift linkage assembly goes together and functions, the shift lever rod enters the transfer case shift lever from the side closest to the tc front input. The rectangular slot on the tc shift lever should be straight up and down, with the tc shift lever itself approximately at 45 degrees sloping downward towards the front. This is 2WD. I know the pic is a little blurry, but I just crawled out on my balcony (it's past midnight) to snap it.

When you pull the shifter backwards, going from 2WD to 4Lo, the shift lever rod will swing the tc shift lever backwards as well, thus cycling through the gears.

Sorry to hear about it, but atleast your jeep will drive, and it's just a quick fix once you've got the part.

Good Luck!

What method did you use to install the trans output seal? and did you have any issues installing the input and output seals on the tc?
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #719
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

OK,

Just finished the first phase of the swap... The Cleaning! Can't do the swap for another week, but I may start taking things apart (or trying to!) in the mean time to get a looksee.

Before:

After:

I was up to my elbows in grease... good thing too... since I needed so much of it
Unread 09-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #720
sskilla

1995 ZJ 

yes, that shorter linkage is exactly what i need! damn my dummy @$$ or not gettin it all at one time. oh well i still need to go back for the shift gate bezel also.

as far as the tranny output seal i just placed it in with my hands and lightly tapped it all around the edge until it seated flush. i literally took about 5 minutes lightly tapping so i wouldnt have to go into a hulk rage again after ruining a second seal lol.

thats one hell of a clean up job my man. i didnt think to buy some solvant and a wire wheel for my drill until i had the case back together already. doh!

R.I.P. 2000 TJ
R.I.P. '95 YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.