Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 47 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 09-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #691
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

@ sskilla,

That's crappy!

I was gonna suggest using the original 249 case half, thinking you'd broken the part in the 242, but I guess you're already using the 249 half doing a front case swap.

I always get nervous when someone tells me to just pry things apart. Perhaps, I'll just remove the part when my turn comes.

Mediokrates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #692
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

I'm wondering whether anyone else has had problems with this rollpin? Or what others did to remove it?

I found another breakdown, which is fairly involved, here: http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/techart...20SOLITUDE.htm

"Now to remove the shifter assembly (Inside the case). By the shifter there is a small rubber plug. Remove this plug and use a #1 screw type extractor to remove the low range shift fork rollpin. Tap the extractor into the end of the rollpin, and with vice grips on the extractor pull and twist in a counterclockwise direction to remove the rollpin. It may take 2 or three tries to remove the rollpin. If you cannot get the screw extractor to “bite”, I had to drill out the rollpin, essentially shredding the rollpin inside the shaft. Then I punched what was left of it through with the 5/32 punch. You’re going to have to go pick up another rollpin if you go this route. Pay special attention to the flats on the shaft when you remove it so you get it back in the same way. When you put this back together you’ll need to reinstall this rollpin."

This gentleman suggested using a screw extractor, but himself drilled it out and replaced it.

I'm starting to gather the tools and parts I'll need, and I'm curious whether this pin can be tapped out with a hammer and narrow tool. The FSM only says to slide it out!
Unread 09-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #693
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

I used a screw extractor on mine and had it out in 4 seconds...
Just tap it in lightly with a hammer and give it a turn and its set.

Just make sure its through the fork as well as the rail when you put it back in
Unread 09-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #694
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

when i did mine, i was able to get it out without removing the pin. pried it out using 2 big screw drivers, and save to get it in. it was a little tricky and took a few minutes. thats how i would do it, if i did it again.
Unread 09-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #695
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

Any special type of screw extractor?

I'm thinking it would probably have to be something like a lefty spiral extractor, not the ones meant for stripped screw heads.

OK, 3 more questions:
1. the refill and empty plugs are 30mm? They're on pretty tight, anything special about removing them. I was gonna get a socket or wrench, my adjustable just won't do it.

2. the front yoke nut. what size is that... 1 1/8"?

3. the FSM says to replace both the nut and washer seal under it. Is this necessary?
Unread 09-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #696
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediokrates View Post
Any special type of screw extractor?

I'm thinking it would probably have to be something like a lefty spiral extractor, not the ones meant for stripped screw heads.

OK, 3 more questions:
1. the refill and empty plugs are 30mm? They're on pretty tight, anything special about removing them. I was gonna get a socket or wrench, my adjustable just won't do it.

2. the front yoke nut. what size is that... 1 1/8"?

3. the FSM says to replace both the nut and washer seal under it. Is this necessary?
Screw extractor I just used one like this:

I litterally just lined it up, give it two or three light hits with the hammer, gave it a few twists with a wrench and then pulled it out with a pair of vice grips.

I dunno what size the fill hole plug is, but i just used a big *** crescent wrench (it has a 2" opening and is the better part of 2' long) and I still had trouble opening mine. Just use some elbow grease and it should come off. Just DONT heat it. Case is aluminum and you'll end up melting it if your not careful, just use a wrench/socket and some muscle and you'll be fine.

Dunno on the yoke, I just used the socket under the label "big ***" in my drawer

And I reused the nut and seal with mine and have no problems
Unread 09-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #697
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

Thanks Dyn0mitemat,

Did you have any problems getting it back in? Or did you find any tricky places in the entire process that might be good to know?

I just measured the plug bolts, and they appear to be 30mm (on the 242, I think it's the same size on the 249).
Did the same thing with the yoke nut (a little trickier, b/c it's still inside the yoke), but it looks like it is 1 1/8.

Anyone confirm this?

I put some liquid wrench around the plug bolts, but no luck. The only tool I have at hand big enough is my adjustable wrench. Though I don't think it's tough enough, the plug started to dent the jaw.

Asking around now for some brobdingnagian tools.
Unread 09-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #698
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

yeah, 30mm plug. i just used a 2" adj as well

i think the yoke nut is 1 1/8", but not 100%. i had to use a pipe wrench on the yoke and 3/4 bar on the nut. it was on there good.
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #699
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

I thought I read 30mm and 1 1/8" somewhere, but can't find the thread or webpage now.
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #700
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Whats this about a roll pin Being an issue to remove? Iv bin inside a 231 with no issue but never opened a 242or249 got any pics of the issue part so i can understand?
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #701
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

ok, update!

it seems someone upstairs was listening to me yesterday and took pity on me.

i was able to get the roller pin out with the #1 screw extractor. hell.. once you do that the rest is cake. i know i tried the big screw drivers at first because i didnt want to mess with finding a new rollerpin should i shred this one but now i wish i had just gone straight for the screw extractor :

however, i have just this moment finished torquing the bolts for the case halves back together, a satisfying squish of ultra black.

i had it together once to test the function of each position and all was good before the RTV for good measure (scraping off last nights RTV was totally lame...)

hopefully ill get it back in the jeep tomarrow after work to give it the real test... wish me luck ya'll, im really hoping the broken section of the shift rail provision doesnt come and bite me real hard in the arse.
[SIZE="1"][B]'95 ZJ:[/B] 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump[/SIZE]

[B][I]It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.[/I][/B]

[size="1"][I]R.I.P. 2000 TJ[/I][/size]
[size="1"][I]R.I.P. '95 YJ[/I][/size]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="3"][FONT="IMPACT"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sskillas-build-thread-1408321"][COLOR="Black"]Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #702
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

awesome! glad to hear it went well
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #703
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squazz View Post
Whats this about a roll pin Being an issue to remove? Iv bin inside a 231 with no issue but never opened a 242or249 got any pics of the issue part so i can understand?
not sure about the but in the 242 the rollerpin (little tube that holds the shift rail to the range fork) prevents you from easily aligning the range fork and mode fork pins into the shift selector at the same time. removing it allows for you to set the forks in place and then slide the shift rail into the two assemlies.
[SIZE="1"][B]'95 ZJ:[/B] 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump[/SIZE]

[B][I]It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.[/I][/B]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="3"][FONT="IMPACT"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sskillas-build-thread-1408321"][COLOR="Black"]Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #704
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediokrates View Post
I thought I read 30mm and 1 1/8" somewhere, but can't find the thread or webpage now.
yes, correct. make sure you pick up that pipe wrench. the chunkier the better

Unread 09-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #705
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingtheZJ View Post
awesome! glad to hear it went well
thanks! if it survives the real test ill be real juiced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.