Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 46 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #676
David1054
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_driver View Post
Alot of 91'-95' XJs had the .750" input like your 93'/4.0 does. The chances are good it'll swap right in, but you will need to measure the exposed part of the input shaft to be certain.
So the only way to know for sure is to actually remove the transfer case from the XJ?? Or is there another possible way to find out? Since the transfer case is still on the XJ at the junkyard.

David1054 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #677
ny_driver
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1054 View Post
So the only way to know for sure is to actually remove the transfer case from the XJ?? Or is there another possible way to find out? Since the transfer case is still on the XJ at the junkyard.
Probably will be the same.
If not, sounds like it's a pretty simple job to do the swap.

I don't know if there is a way to tell for certain without measuring. With the 93' ZJ/4.0/AW4.......it was always .750".

Just drop the crossmember(4x15mm bolts...bring a breaker bar for this)......then it's 6x14mm nuts to remove the t-case from the transmission, and some 8mm bolts holding the driveshafts to the U-joints which you should probably remove first. You will need to grab the rear output shaft/driveshaft and move it back and forth with some force to break the seal, once you get the 6 nuts removed.
That's how I did it.
It's pretty easy.
Took me a little over an hour the first time. Just go for it. I found a 95 Grand Cherokee with a 231, pulled it out and got lucky it was .750".
ny_driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #678
David1054
1993 ZJ 

Alright then guess ill drop by the Junk yard tomorrow and see if i pick it up... Sadly. I dont have the tools for doing the swap but it costs me like 100$ in mex to do with fluids and labor ect..
besides i need a new trany mount
David1054 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #679
ny_driver
1993 ZJ 

Do it David, and don't forget to grab the t-case shifter linkage and the bezel from inside.
Those fittings in the linkage just pop out if you pry hard enough in the right direction....so bring a small pry-bar or big flat-head screwdriver.
Unread 09-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #680
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

ok, in the middle of the 249 > 242 swap. droppin my 249 input shaft into the 242 case and I cant seem to get it to go in far enough to get the groove for the snap ring to come out the front.

do i not have it lined up just right? do i need to swap the bearing from the 249? do i just use the 249 case half?

all tips appreciated
[SIZE="1"][B]'95 ZJ:[/B] 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump[/SIZE]

[B][I]It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.[/I][/B]

[size="1"][I]R.I.P. 2000 TJ[/I][/size]
[size="1"][I]R.I.P. '95 YJ[/I][/size]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="3"][FONT="IMPACT"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sskillas-build-thread-1408321"][COLOR="Black"]Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #681
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

If the gear cuts are the same then it will drop in, just play with it, its not the easiest thing, might have to spin it a bit and work it, and then it'll drop in.

If the gear cuts are different then you have to use the front case half from your old case (the one that input shaft came out of)
If you do have to swap the front half, you will have to drill a small hole to put the roll pin back in the shifter rail. It has to be drilled next to the shifter tab on the outside of the case (right next to the front yoke), its not too hard to line up, just make sure you get all the shavings out of the case afterwards. Then reinstall everything else from the 242 (I had to use my front output/yoke from the 249, as well as the gear on the mainshaft running through the case from the input to the rear output shaft due to the chain width differences from the 249 & 242). Everything else should line up and fit fine. Just make sure to run it through all the settings before you put it back in
Unread 09-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #682
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

ahhh ok awsome. i think when i read that id have to use the "front case half" from my 249 I just assumed that it meant the guts from the front half, not the actual front half of the case.

thanks man
[SIZE="1"][B]'95 ZJ:[/B] 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump[/SIZE]

[B][I]It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.[/I][/B]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="3"][FONT="IMPACT"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sskillas-build-thread-1408321"][COLOR="Black"]Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 09-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #683
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Yup, actually the only part you need is that gear that the planetary set for the input sets in to, but its pressed in the case (ask how I know ). Easier to just switch the front halfs
Unread 09-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #684
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

Clarification

Hope everything worked out ok sskilla!

I just picked up my 242. It's a Jan 94 to fit my GC Ltd 93. Not much to look at, but I got everything: t/c, wiring, shift linkage assemby, shifter, shifter case, bezel etc.. Great price! Hopefully, I can clean it up real pretty.

The shift was a little stuck, but some elbow grease got it moving, and it will go into every gear. The outputs seem to move appropriately, depending on the gear. (Didn't realize it would be rear-wheel drive in 2WD, but makes sense.)

Anyway, I know we've talked about removing the t/c, tearing it down and swapping inputs and doing front case swaps, reinstalling, and even how to reconfigure the VIC.

Without having tried yet, I'm puzzled over how to actually remove the shift linkage:

It seems that some sort of rubber seal holds it onto the linkage arm. I'm at a loss at how this would be removed, and them attached to the existing linkage assembly without damaging that seal or whatever.

Additionally, am I also swapping the speedsensor from the 249 into the 242?

Thanks,
Mediokrates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #685
ny_driver
1993 ZJ 

Just pry hard on it with a big flathead if you have nothing better. You won't hurt it.

I think you really just needed the case/linkage/and bezel unless you are converting a 2WD.

Nice work though!
Unread 09-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #686
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

So i as well just picked a 242 out of a 98-4.0 zj and the input shaft length is under 1inch on the tape measure and from my understsnding 94-4.0 zj will be the same so heres to hoping this is gonna be easy
and when you put it manualy in 4fulltime do it not engage as 4parttime almost like it's in nutral except the.input shaft spins?
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #687
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squazz
So i as well just picked a 242 out of a 98-4.0 zj and the out put shaft length is under 1inch on the tape measure and from my understsnding 94-4.0 zj will be the same so heres to hoping this is gonna be easy
and when you put it manualy in 4fulltime do it not engage as 4parttime almost like it's in nutral except the.input shaft spins?
Should be the same. I think the old 42re's used the .840" inputs too.

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #688
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

ooooohh buddy...

so i get this thing all taken apart right. im readin through the write up and as the OP opted to do, I decided to try the "pry it out" method. it works, i get that SOB right outa there. cake.

i overcome the minor obstacles along the way, didnt have this tool here, that tool there, need some more brake cleaner and canned air, you know the usual. I go to slap this thing back together and the "pry it" method starts to fight back... damn.

its ok, (i tell myself), I got this. several choice words later, (believe me, I have some good ones), it seems ive got the shift rail and mode forks back in place... sweet! little ultra black and im home free!

struggling... cant seem to get the case halves together... wiggle wiggle.. push.. wiggle... push... very loud exhale in the form of words... my mother blushed three states away...

pull them back apart and the whole shift rail / mode fork assembly comes out... clearly something is amiss... after utilizing the "pry it out" method once more... hold on #$$%$%^%^#%$%@#@#@$@#@!!!!!!!.... a string of obsinities and a skyward challenge so foul it almost demands a celestial reprimand... the provision in the front case half for the shift rail has a 1/4 chunk broken out of it.

now im unsure. ive placed the rail back in and played with the shifter and it seems to hold the shift rail... but i dont know. do i go ahead with this swap or do i go to the pick'n pull for another 249 front case half?

btw, when ive cooled down a bit i will approach the project with the "extract the rollerpin" method as i cant fathom how the "pry it out" method hasnt just banished me to hell...

/rant.. thanks for listening ill be here all week lol

Unread 09-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #689
ny_driver
1993 ZJ 

I hope you aren't referring to the pry it out method I mentioned......that was only for the shifter linkage rubber grommets.
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #690
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_driver View Post
I hope you aren't referring to the pry it out method I mentioned......that was only for the shifter linkage rubber grommets.
no no. its in the write up.

"I wanted to avoid removing the roll pin from the shift rail, so I had to pry the pin holding the mode fork into the shift sector away from the shift sector and pull the mode fork up and out. It takes a little prying, but it works."

i guess i just pried too hard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.