Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 45 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #661
tinow
1995 ZJ 

Front and rear output and input.

tinow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #662
Jeep12Maniac
1994 ZJ 

Do I Need to Match the Input Shaft?

I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 5.2L with a NP249J TC. I have removed the front driveshaft due to the TC going ka-fluie with clunk-clunk-clunk during turns. So I have begun the process of finding out how to correct the situation. I read this thread and I have been searching for a replacement TC. I have read early in this thread that the NP249J TC has a 1.55" input shaft.

Recently I purchased a NP231J TC that has a 0.840" input shaft out of a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I know I can bolt the TC to my 46RH tranny.

BUT... will the 0.840" input shaft engage the 46RH tranny input shaft?

If not can I exchange the input shaft in my NP249J TC with the input shaft with my NP231J TC? Will the NP231J TC operate correctly with the 1.55" input shaft in it?

I read that the NP249J and NP242J input shafts can be exchanged successfully. Where does all of this leave me with the NP231J TC?
Jeep12Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #663
Jeep12Maniac
1994 ZJ 

Do I need to match the input shaft?

I can and need to swap the input shafts. I found another thread (np 231swap, diff tranny???) that answered my question in this zj forum.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/n...ranny-1022041/

I throughly enjoy the zj forum. Keep it rollin!

Last edited by Jeep12Maniac; 09-24-2011 at 06:23 AM..
Jeep12Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #664
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

Hey Jeep12Maniac,

I'm certainly not an expert, and I haven't even performed this swap yet, but I've read the opening post to this thread a few times.

According to everything I've read and discussed with other members, you should not have a problem swapping the 1.55" input shaft from your 249 into your 231.

The problem I think you might run into is the annulus gear cut change which apparently occured mid-94. You wrote that you have a 94 GC but have a replacement 2000 231 t/c. I couldn't find anything in the post discussing whether a front case swap would be possible btw 249 and 231.

In addition, JrMechanic notes that the shift indicator sensor from the 249 will not work in the 231.

I almost lost the 242 that I was planning to use, and started even considering getting a 231. Thankfully, I'll be getting my 242 in 3 days. I have a 93 5.2 Ltd, and was lucky to find a 242 built in jan 94. All in all, I would think this thread indicates that it is a much more difficult swap to the 231.
Mediokrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 06:20 AM   #665
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

Rear Yoke

OK,

Here's a question I don't think has been directly addressed, which I now need answered.

The 242 I'm looking at getting is an ISY, but doesn't have the actual rear yoke (i'm referring to the clamp thingy which looks like a robot's hand. Is yoke the right word?). It has the front output only. I've seen them with and without the rear (mostly without)

From what I gather from the FSM, the front yoke is attached to it's mate on the front drive shaft by 4 bolts, which face the t/c. Located here 3 1/4" from the t/c:

I assume these are unbolted and the front driveshaft will then be disconnected.

As for the rear, I don't see any bolts which marry the yokes together:

It would seem to me then, that the rear drive shaft must slide in & out of the rear housing of the t/c, for installation and removal. If so, where does the room come from to do this, without disconnecting it completely from the axel? The FSM only mentions disconnecting the driveshafts at the t/c.

Am I way off?

@ tinow, where exactly does the rear ouput seal go (haha)? I couldn't find it in the FSM. Is it the red bit located 7 3/4" on the external housing of the ISY where the rear driveshaft meets the t/c?

Also, regarding refilling the transmission and t/c after installation. Is this just as easy as topping up the level for the trans in the engine compartment, and filling the t/c up to the bottom of the fill hole plug?

Thanks
Unread 09-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #666
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

Hi again,

Since I'm going to look at 242's in a few days, I should probably ask this question:

How do you make sure it will engage into all gears? Is it just a matter of turning the shifter linkage? How easily should it move? Should the outputs spin freely? What should I be looking for? etc...

On a related vein, is it absolutely necessary for me to unseize my current 249 before swapping out? It's been in 4Hi all year, and is seized. What's the procedure for this?

Thanks,
Unread 09-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #667
RivetHD
1997 ZJ 

@ mediokrates
You will have to remove the rear drive shaft from the rear differential and then slide it out of the transfer case. Yes that is the rear output seal of the transfercase at the 7 3/4" mark, but when you swap to a 242 transfer case, it has an external slip yoke which you will want to get a drive shaft that will correctly work. Yes topping off the trans fluid as putting fluid down the pipe from the engine compartment but do it while the engine is running and fairly well warmed up, and yes you just fill the transfer case up through the fill hole until it comes out. As far as looking at used transfer cases, as long as you can shift through each mode and the input shaft turns the outputs you should be fine, you'll know if doesnt feel right. I'd wouldn't worry about it being stuck in 4hi right now until you swap in the 242 and just make sure all the linkage freely moves once you dis-connect it from the transfer case.
RivetHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #668
tinow
1995 ZJ 

Ditto what RivetHD said...
tinow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #669
hayes429
1997 ZJ 

np231 swap

Just wanted to say: This is the best forum with the nicest and most patient members i've seen, and I'm proud to be a member. Next this thread BLOWS my mind! It's soooo good and years long too. We can all use it and Jr Mechanic gave us better info than anyone could ever hope for. Like to advise new folks to this thread to PLEASE start at pg. 1 its all there for real. This info could easily be sold and we would all buy it. God bless
hayes429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #670
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

Yes, all thanks to Jr and everyone else!

@ RivetHD and tinow,

Ok, so from what I can see, the rear driveshaft attaches to the rear differential, much the same as the front DS attaches to the t/c.

(I have a small leak in the rear differential, but I'll open a new thread and address that there. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/f.../#post12215508

4 bolts would then unattach the DS, whereupon it could be slid to the rear of the vehicle, freeing it from the rear housing of the t/c.

Now that makes sense.
Unread 09-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #671
Mediokrates
1993 ZJ 

I know I keep asking questions, but like I said I like to cover my bases.

This is for all those you have done this job already, or other work under their jeep.

I'm curious how you lifted and supported your jeep. I've never lifted a jeep before, as this is my first, and when I switched out the starter I parked the jeep with one side on the curb

Anyway, the owner's manual doesn't mention anything about jacking by the frame under the front doors near the wheel well. It only mentions jacking up using the axels.

Would you then put the stands beside the jack under the axel?

I've got 4 stands, a floor jack, and 2 scissor jacks.

Thanks again
Unread 09-24-2011, 03:21 AM   #672
David1054
1993 ZJ 

I have a 93 I6 ZJ with the AW4 .750" 23 spline input

from what i read on the first page my question is if i get a 242 out of a 93 Cherokee Sport
is it a direct swap?? Or would i have to change some stuff?
David1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #673
ny_driver
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1054 View Post
I have a 93 I6 ZJ with the AW4 .750" 23 spline input

from what i read on the first page my question is if i get a 242 out of a 93 Cherokee Sport
is it a direct swap?? Or would i have to change some stuff?
Alot of 91'-95' XJs had the .750" input like your 93'/4.0 does. The chances are good it'll swap right in, but you will need to measure the exposed part of the input shaft to be certain.
ny_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #674
RivetHD
1997 ZJ 

@mediokrates
The simplest way is to use the floor under the center or pumpkin of the differential to jack it up and place the jack stands under each side of the differential axle tubes.
RivetHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #675
Travis873o
1996 ZJ 

I have an extra 231 zj bezel...pm me if ya want one
Built not Bought #170
My build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1295705/
FOR SALE: ZJ 231 bezel,
PM me if you need one.
Travis873o is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.