Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 03-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #316
ArmyVet717
1996 ZJ 

Ok, I had a 242 swapped in for my stock 249. I have since had issues with the linkage and the selector hitting all the gears correctly. The shop used the original linkage, and I have played with it and just can not get it to work. Growing extremely frustrated!!!

Another issue:
My VIC is not reading correctly even though I pulled it out and swapped the black and red plugs per the instructions I found on one of these forums. When I shift through what gears I can, it seems that the VIC is reading opposite what it should...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Unread 03-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #317
mark4370

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVet717 View Post
Ok, I had a 242 swapped in for my stock 249. I have since had issues with the linkage and the selector hitting all the gears correctly. The shop used the original linkage, and I have played with it and just can not get it to work. Growing extremely frustrated!!!

Another issue:
My VIC is not reading correctly even though I pulled it out and swapped the black and red plugs per the instructions I found on one of these forums. When I shift through what gears I can, it seems that the VIC is reading opposite what it should...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
I just did the swap it all works fine. what gears are hard to hit? As for the vic mine says part-time whenever its in LO !!
mark4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #318
ArmyVet717
1996 ZJ 

When I am in 2H, mine says full time. When I move the selector I hit 2 more gears which the VIC reads as part time, and I have N. So I am hitting a total of 3 gears and neutral when I beleive there should be 4 gears (2H, 4H, N, 4PT, 4L).

ArmyVet
Sent from my Android using JeepForum for Androids
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #319
mark4370

You now to get 4L you have to be in neutral.
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #320
mark4370

Mine reads part time whenever I'm in 4L. But it didn't say any thing when in 2H.
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #321
rothelb

98 zj

i have a 98 5.2 zjwith the 249 will the 242 out of my 94 cherokee i6 work for this swap on my second vicous coupler and not buying another. work great when working but suck when not and wear out quicker than my underwear...lol
rothelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #322
ArmyVet717
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark4370
You now to get 4L you have to be in neutral.
Yes, I know that! Does it change anything, no. I am completely missing 4L on the selector...

ArmyVet
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #323
ArmyVet717
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothelb
i have a 98 5.2 zjwith the 249 will the 242 out of my 94 cherokee i6 work for this swap on my second vicous coupler and not buying another. work great when working but suck when not and wear out quicker than my underwear...lol
I beleive mine was out of a 96 I6. At least that is what the shop was toldwhen they got it.

ArmyVet
Unread 03-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #324
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

If your VIC is reading wrong you either didnt change the plugs right or your switch on the t-case is bad. The linkage does take a little tinkering. When you do the swap you CAN NOT use the tab from the 249 on the 242. You must use the shfter tab that goes with the 242 of you will never get it adjusted right. By tab i mean the metal bracket thats bolted to the side of the 242 that the shifter rod connects to.
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #325
tdhampt
1993 ZJ 

I have a 1993 JGC Limited with 249 TC...The v-coupler is shot and want to put a 242 in. I have found a np242 out of a 1999 jgc. What would I have to change on this TC to make it work.??? or is there better options, using a diffrent year TC
tdhampt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #326
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Everything. Im not sure it will bolt up at all? Find a 1993-1995 242
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #327
ArmyVet717
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumNiner View Post
If your VIC is reading wrong you either didnt change the plugs right or your switch on the t-case is bad. The linkage does take a little tinkering. When you do the swap you CAN NOT use the tab from the 249 on the 242. You must use the shfter tab that goes with the 242 of you will never get it adjusted right. By tab i mean the metal bracket thats bolted to the side of the 242 that the shifter rod connects to.
Thanks for the info PlatinumNiner.
As far as I know, the switches were not changed out. As for the plugs, I followed the directions I found here. I unplugged the RED and plugged in the BLACK. Before doing this, I got a "Service 4WD Switch" warning on the VIC. Now, it will read either Full, Part, or Neutral... It just seems backwards from what it should be. The 242 sequence, from what I have read, goes:
2H-4PT-4FT-N-4L

When I attempt to run through the gears, my VIC reads:
FT-PT-N-L

The problem is I beleive because of my linkage. I am not hitting "4L". I shift into drive and it is not in gear at all. When my lever is all the way forward (2H) I am not sure it is in or not, also becuse of the linkage. I crawled underneath, and it seems that I amnot able to go all the way forward because the linkage from the TC to the pivot point on the trans is being held up by the rod that goes from the pivot point to the selector linkage. Almost as if my linkage needs to be shortened by 1/4" to 1/2".

I found a shorter linkage off a ZJ and was told it was off a 242. The shop told me that they used the original linkage from my 249, so I am curious if the shorter linkage will work.

You speak of a "TAB"... If I am correct, when I look at the shorter linkage, one end has a gold colored bracket that attaches to the TC. Wuld that be the tab you are speaking of??
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #328
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

my problem with linkage is the horizonal pivit point that goes from the unibody to the trans wont line up when i put my cross member in that drops the TC 1" dont know if i need to even have it drop 1" if im running a SYE ?
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 03:56 AM   #329
mark4370

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVet717

As far as I know, the switches were not changed out. As for the plugs, I followed the directions I found here. I unplugged the RED and plugged in the BLACK. Before doing this, I got a "Service 4WD Switch" warning on the VIC. Now, it will read either Full, Part, or Neutral... It just seems backwards from what it should be. The 242 sequence, from what I have read, goes:
2H-4PT-4FT-N-4L

FT-PT-N-L

The problem is I beleive because of my linkage. I am not hitting "4L". I shift into drive and it is not in gear at all. When my lever is all the way forward (2H) I am not sure it is in or not, also becuse of the linkage. I crawled underneath, and it seems that I amnot able to go all the way forward because the linkage from the TC to the pivot point on the trans is being held up by the rod that goes from the pivot point to the selector linkage. Almost as if my linkage needs to be shortened by 1/4" to 1/2".

I found a shorter linkage off a ZJ and was told it was off a 242. The shop told me that they used the original linkage from my 249, so I am curious if the shorter linkage will work.

You speak of a "TAB"... If I am correct, when I look at the shorter linkage, one end has a gold colored bracket that attaches to the TC. Wuld that be the tab you are speaking of??
The linkage has no part of your vic reading it in the switch or the vic. You can un hook the tc and move the selector your self and see its still going to read rong.
Unread 03-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #330
jlipka98zj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVet717 View Post
2H-4PT-4FT-N-4L

FT-PT-N-L

Sounds like your linkage needs to be adjusted (which is easy) AND/OR your 4WD switch may be bad. The linkage is easy to adjust. There is a bolt on the round rod that you loosen. THe linkage should be free to pivot. Get a friend to manipulate the lever while you adjust it. Keep tinkering until you get it.

If you still get the same malfunctioning readout after you are able to get into all ranges, you might try replacing the switch.

As an aside, there ARE different pieces for the linkage on the 242 than the 249 besides the selector lever on the case. I'm guessing there are different length rods and shifter gates and whatnot. Most people don't bother getting them because you CAN get your 249 linkage to work. As a last resort, you could buy the 242 pieces and give them a shot. But I just think your linkage needs adjusted for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squazz View Post
my problem with linkage is the horizonal pivit point that goes from the unibody to the trans wont line up when i put my cross member in that drops the TC 1" dont know if i need to even have it drop 1" if im running a SYE ?
Yeah, the TC drop is messing up your linkage geometry. You either need to fab a bracket to lower the linkage (popular on cheaper TJ lifts) or take the TC drop out. With an SYE, you SHOULD be okay without it. However, you may get unacceptable vibes from the FRONT DS if you take it out. Hard to say.

But, trying it is free. Take the TC drop out and see if you have any vibes. If you don't, you're golden. If you do, put it back in and then expend the effort to correct the linkage geometry with a drop bracket.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.