Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 156 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 08-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #2326
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdogg View Post
I am new and have read this over and over it is great. I am going to the yard and getting a 231 my 249 cv is going. I gave read and am sure if I get the 96-01 XJ 231 it sounds line a direct swap. Who ever has done this if they could guide me I have to do this over the weekend and need it to at least drive in 2wd. I have a 98 grand 5.9 limited thanks.
I had to shorten my rear drive shaft about an inch and also my front.

mandrews000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #2327
Bigdogg
1998 ZJ 

http://www.areds.com/wichita/Dodge•O...20CD.pdf#page3 here is a lot of t case info. I know it is from canada but here is another one http://www.canadawideparts.com/downl...ecatalogue.pdf
Bigdogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #2328
Bigdogg
1998 ZJ 

When you shorten your d shaft can you just cut an inch of the splines? On the yoke.
Unread 08-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #2329
mrgimble
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
When you shorten your d shaft can you just cut an inch of the splines? On the yoke.
If you just cut an inch of the drive shaft yoke you will only prevent the drive shaft from hitting the transfer case. The transfer case output can still bottom out inside the yoke.
Unread 08-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #2330
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
No

you need to cut and re-weld the actual tube. easy to do with tools most already have in a decent garage. I have cut down over a dozen shafts and none have had any vibes or ill effects once done. The rear shaft in my ZJ DD was done just in my home garage with no special tools.

Best way it to cut the weld where the Yoke meets the tube, and the Yoke is actually inserted into the tube by 1/2" or so. tap it out with a deadblow hammer, cut the tube to desired length, clean up and re-insert the yoke, align it all properly and re-weld. Keep a good even weld and dont cut off any factory weights and it should be pretty well balanced.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 11:42 PM   #2331
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
No

you need to cut and re-weld the actual tube. easy to do with tools most already have in a decent garage. I have cut down over a dozen shafts and none have had any vibes or ill effects once done. The rear shaft in my ZJ DD was done just in my home garage with no special tools.

Best way it to cut the weld where the Yoke meets the tube, and the Yoke is actually inserted into the tube by 1/2" or so. tap it out with a deadblow hammer, cut the tube to desired length, clean up and re-insert the yoke, align it all properly and re-weld. Keep a good even weld and dont cut off any factory weights and it should be pretty well balanced.
I've heard to throw a shot or two of ATF in the tube to balance it. If I had a rotary setup for the driveshaft, I'd be less worried as the weld could be done in one smooth pass. But stopping, rotating, and restarting gives more opportunity for a uneven weld so I think I'm going to try the ATF trick next time
Unread 08-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #2332
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJs View Post
I've heard to throw a shot or two of ATF in the tube to balance it. If I had a rotary setup for the driveshaft, I'd be less worried as the weld could be done in one smooth pass. But stopping, rotating, and restarting gives more opportunity for a uneven weld so I think I'm going to try the ATF trick next time
Never tried the ATF trick, but i have heard of it before.

I try to minimize passes, i can usually do on in just 3 shots to keep the starts/stops to a minimum. i would love to be able to do it in just one pass, but i don't have a setup for that as most do not.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #2333
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

You can cut the splines on the driveshaft if it's only a small amount. I did it. I've driven and wheeled it pretty hard that way for a couple years now. I have 0 vibes and have had 0 issues with it. I'm not saying it will work that well for you, but don't take "no" as your final answer. You'll be making a gamble cutting it; if it gets messed up, junk yard shafts are cheap anyway.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #2334
Bigdogg
1998 ZJ 

Will the 231 speedometer gears work inplace of the 249 gears or can I put the 249 speedometer in the 231. Or did I miss this one in the write up.
Unread 08-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #2335
iann32
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Will the 231 speedometer gears work inplace of the 249 gears or can I put the 249 speedometer in the 231. Or did I miss this one in the write up.
You put the 249 spedo in the 231. Thats what i did with my 231 swap. I think it even says to do so in the write up.
iann32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #2336
Bigdogg
1998 ZJ 

That is what I thought I just picked up my 231. I found 1 with no oil on the case. Everything moved free. How much slack on the chain should there be. I have very little seems normal. It is from a 98 cherokee I looked at a 249 from a 98 and the length of the shaft looked the same also with 23 splines.
Unread 08-25-2014, 06:35 AM   #2337
thcheme
1995 ZJ 

Dropped the 249 from my 95 this weekend. That 12 o'clock bolt was a pain in the you know what. After 30 minutes of every tool in the box, finally decided to drop the transmission cross brace. Was a lot easier with access. Now for the 242 front case swap and rebuild this coming weekend!

Oh, and ATF was running from the transmission when tilted down. Definitely needs a new seal.
thcheme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #2338
Bigdogg
1998 ZJ 

Got al new seals for my swap also.
Unread 09-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #2339
Rikoshay
1998 ZJ 

In process of converting my 98GC 2wd to 4wd and got a 242 t-case. In Texas 4wd parts are a little more challenging to find in junkyards.

Found a really good tutorial on a Mustang forum on how to shorten a driveshaft at home with minimum tools. If the rear driveshaft that I got for it is slightly too long I'm going to give this a shot. Also installing an 8.8 axle so that's going to shorten the distance between yokes.

Pretty brilliant to check runout by bolting it up to the vehicle before welding, then welding it once it's set up with minimal runout.
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/tran...riveshaft.html
Rikoshay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #2340
tsargent

I'm looking to swap a 231 into my zj with a bad 249. Yes i know, half of you are thinking why? Are you stupid? No it's what I want. I'm just curious, because the shift indicator sensor will not work from the 249 in the 231 how do you go around that? Do you hardwire the 231 plug in or could you even just forget about it because it isn't really that important anyways? Thank for the help guys
tsargent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.