Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #196
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Not sure what tranny you have but the 8.25 was never used in the ZJ. You have a dana 35 rear and dana 30 front

PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #197
anderob
1980 CJ7 

That's terrible news. I have gone through a few dana 35s in some XJs and YJs.
I thought that only the 8.25s had the rubber plug in the cover.
anderob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #198
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderob View Post
That's terrible news. I have gone through a few dana 35s in some XJs and YJs.
I thought that only the 8.25s had the rubber plug in the cover.
Nope, D35's have the rubber plug. As long as you don't wheel it too hard you'll be fine.

Your swap should be relatively easy as well. As you said, the transfer case will bolt right up. The rear drive shaft will be too long. I couldn't tell you if your XJ shafts would work, but it couldn't hurt to measure/hold them up and check.

If not, a shaft from a 96-98 4.0/NP242 (external slip yoke) ZJ will fit perfectly.

And you have a 42RE.
Unread 11-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #199
anderob
1980 CJ7 

Thanks! Both of the XJs had the Chrysler 8.25s in them. At least I think they did.
anderob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 01:33 AM   #200
JustinLupyan
1997 ZJ 

please help

I have a 97 zj 5.2 v8. I am wanting to swap the current quadra trac transfer case np249 with a 242. I know I will have to swap the input shaft. I plan on going to pullapart to pull the transfer case. But does it matter what year xj I pull it out of. Being that mine is a 97 and is obd2. Will I have to swap the sensors as well, or just the shaft. I want to do this swap and avoid annoying check engine lights or the vic beeping at me. Thank you in advance.
JustinLupyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #201
Lubo
1994 ZJ 

Hi I have a 94 Grand Cherokee 4.0, tran. 42re, tc is 249J.
I had same problems with it .
Tha car startrs slowing down alot after the first 300fit it also pulls to the right side and when is about 5 ml per hr. I can hear the tires slip. This was a working 249J from 93 v8 grand Cherokee. My original 249J start clicking very loud when I go down hil and after few days was clicking all the time so I replaced it. I also instal a new transmission and torque convertor, new axel drives, new brackes new disks inspected diferential boxes.
I am runing out of ideas. If some one can help . Thanks
Lubo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #202
Lubo
1994 ZJ 

I just tried driving whit out the front d.s. it works fine no problems, but as soon as I put it back on the car starts to: when I pres the accelerator pedal starts to pull to the right side and as soon as I let go starts to slow down .
I have no idea can it be the front differential box or you think it is the TC?
Unread 12-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #203
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Probably a bad transfer case. Sounds like the VC is shot and causing everything to bind up
Unread 12-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #204
Oli
1994 ZJ 

Hello,
I think my last question was lost with all the new posts, so here I go again:
Can I use the 4 prong plug 4wd switch that came out of my np249 to replace the np242 2 prong plug 4wd switch? I know Jr say in the OP that the np249 switch will work in the np242, but is it still true if the switch do not have the same connectors?

I have to lengthen the wires to reach the location of the switch on the np242, so before cutting thoses I would like to know if it will work.

Thanks !
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #205
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

You need to use the 242 switch or the VIC wont display the proper gear selection. The only thing i had to swap over on my swap was the speedo sending unit. Plug was different and gear was different for different axle radios
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #206
Oli
1994 ZJ 

I wish my swap was as easy as yours...

I just realised than the younger np242 has the 4wd switch on the front case, engaged by the shift sector just like the np249. My np242 was pulled from a XJ 92, and the 4wd switch is located on the rear half, near the vehicule speed sensor, and is engaged by the shift rail.

I have looked at the schematic of the switch in the service manual of the 93 zj (page 8w-91) and it show a serial switch with 4 positions (N, 2wd, pt, ft) connected with the 4 prong connector. The problem is there is a single schematic and they make no distinction between np242, np249 and np231 switches. This is not really convenient if the switches are different.

If I look at my np249 and np242 switchs side by side, they look the same, except for the connector. So I guess my question is : is there a way to get the VIC to work with what I have? If not, can I get a switch that would work in my situation?

Thanks again !
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #207
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
I wish my swap was as easy as yours...

I just realised than the younger np242 has the 4wd switch on the front case, engaged by the shift sector just like the np249. My np242 was pulled from a XJ 92, and the 4wd switch is located on the rear half, near the vehicule speed sensor, and is engaged by the shift rail.

I have looked at the schematic of the switch in the service manual of the 93 zj (page 8w-91) and it show a serial switch with 4 positions (N, 2wd, pt, ft) connected with the 4 prong connector. The problem is there is a single schematic and they make no distinction between np242, np249 and np231 switches. This is not really convenient if the switches are different.

If I look at my np249 and np242 switchs side by side, they look the same, except for the connector. So I guess my question is : is there a way to get the VIC to work with what I have? If not, can I get a switch that would work in my situation?

Thanks again !
Honestly, I've never tried to get the VIC to work with the older 242 case. In theory, it shouldn't be too hard.

If you switch looks the same, try installing it and see what happens. You may not be able to get 4 low to illuminate, but you may at least get part time to.
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #208
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Well guys I added this to the original post:

****Currently, I am gauging interests for complete transfer case assemblies. I'm pretty flexible on what I can do, so shoot me a PM with your needs. Examples of services could include the location and shipping of complete used transfer cases intended to be a direct bolt in,
complete built to order transfer cases with new bearings, seals, shift pads, chains, VC's, and even the correct length input shaft for your application.

Used transfer cases will be inspected and guaranteed to be free of defects upon arrival with no implied warranty thereafter. Rebuilt transfer cases will carry an industry standard 18 month/unlimited mileage warranty

Installations are most definitely available as well!****

This is something I've been wanting to do for awhile now and I think I can make it happen. Once I get this up off the ground I'll take it up with the forum and make sure JF gets taken care of
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #209
Lubo
1994 ZJ 

I just install 242 from a 97 and switched my old 249. Tomorrow I will do my road test hope all the problems are gone
Thank you for some of your ideas.
Unread 12-02-2010, 11:07 PM   #210
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Make sure its filled with fresh fluid!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.