3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1756 of Old 10-13-2013, 08:17 PM
smccloud
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Becker, MN
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sextiva View Post
I got my 231 for $70 at pullapart. It was from a 98 and bolted directly in.
No pullapart around me Not that popular in MN

smccloud is offline  
post #1757 of Old 10-14-2013, 12:10 PM
OverlandZJ
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bristol
Posts: 985
About to install the rebuilt/SYE'd 242 into my 98, I thought the current 242 had the rubber plug above linkage tab.. it does not.

Anyone have a good part# for it?
OverlandZJ is offline  
post #1758 of Old 10-14-2013, 12:32 PM
zarnold
Member
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Park Ridge
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ
About to install the rebuilt/SYE'd 242 into my 98, I thought the current 242 had the rubber plug above linkage tab.. it does not.

Anyone have a good part# for it?
Hmm.... Need a little more description.

You can try quadratec.com

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replac...s/xj-np242.php
zarnold is offline  
post #1759 of Old 10-14-2013, 01:39 PM
OverlandZJ
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bristol
Posts: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarnold View Post
Hmm.... Need a little more description.

You can try quadratec.com

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replac...s/xj-np242.php

Access plug for the shift fork roll pin. Screw it.. RTV'd a penny over it, last one lasted since 2000.

I believe it's dealer only, the Q'Tec link shows the hole but no part for it. Look above the front output bearing in diagram (#5).

Thanks though.. appreciated.
OverlandZJ is offline  
post #1760 of Old 10-14-2013, 02:14 PM
smccloud
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Becker, MN
Posts: 417
Found a couple 242s near my parents for $100. 2 are from '98 Grand Cherokees & one is from a '99 Cherokee. Wondering which would be the better one to look at. Once I have one, I will let you guys know where they are.
smccloud is offline  
post #1761 of Old 10-14-2013, 02:33 PM
StPaul59
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St Paul
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
Found a couple 242s near my parents for $100. 2 are from '98 Grand Cherokees & one is from a '99 Cherokee. Wondering which would be the better one to look at. Once I have one, I will let you guys know where they are.
Id say its a tie between the 241 and the 2.42
StPaul59 is offline  
post #1762 of Old 10-14-2013, 02:37 PM
smccloud
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Becker, MN
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
Id say its a tie between the 241 and the 2.42
I will call them tomorrow and get some more info on them. Hopefully they have the drive shaft for GCs still.
smccloud is offline  
post #1763 of Old 10-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Platinum5nine
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Middle Island
Posts: 510
All 96-98 ZJ c242 ases or 96-01 XJ 242 sases will swap in place of a 249 case on a 96-98 ZJ as a direct bolt in.

Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Platinum5nine is offline  
post #1764 of Old 10-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Muzramp
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 93
If im swapping a 97 np249 5.2 to a 242 from a 97 4.0. It is a direct fit? Do I need to change anything in either case? Or just simply unbolt and rebolt up? Im starting this project next week. So I'm building a list of what needs to be done and exactly what tools I will need to accomplish the job.
Also would I need to hack a wrench?

Ive read many times it they say its a direct bolt up. But never seen a how to lol. Its always different years
Muzramp is offline  
post #1765 of Old 10-16-2013, 08:26 PM
98GCLimited
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LHC
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzramp View Post
If im swapping a 97 np249 5.2 to a 242 from a 97 4.0. It is a direct fit? Do I need to change anything in either case? Or just simply unbolt and rebolt up? Im starting this project next week. So I'm building a list of what needs to be done and exactly what tools I will need to accomplish the job.
Also would I need to hack a wrench?

Ive read many times it they say its a direct bolt up. But never seen a how to lol. Its always different years
Should be a direct bolt in since it should be same input lengths and being both 97s probably dont even have to swap speedo gears since the plugs are probably the same. Might need to shorten the rear driveshaft or you might not.

You could hack a 9/16" combo wrench in half or if you have a Lowes nearby they have a "stubby" 9/16" combo wrench that is about half the length of a normal combo wrench or a little less and works wonderfully to get the top two nuts off, especially the top passenger side nut which is the hardest to get to of the 6 nuts that hold the transfer case to the transmission.

The stubby 9/16" combo wrench was a Kobalt brand (Lowes store brand for tools) and cost like $5-6, worth the cost. If you dont have a Lowes nearby you could possibly find one elsewhere locally or just hack a wrench if you have to if you have a spare 9/16.

Heres a pic of the stubby combo wrench its like 4 inches long.



Other than that you will most likely need to adjust the linkage to shift into all gear ranges properly but thats simple to do as long as your linkage adjuster isnt seized like mine was from rust.

Might want to think about putting a new transmission output seal in while the case is off its a very common failure and would suck to have to pull it back apart to replace a leaking seal when you can just put a new one in now.
98GCLimited is offline  
post #1766 of Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 PM
zarnold
Member
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Park Ridge
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzramp
If im swapping a 97 np249 5.2 to a 242 from a 97 4.0. It is a direct fit? Do I need to change anything in either case? Or just simply unbolt and rebolt up? Im starting this project next week. So I'm building a list of what needs to be done and exactly what tools I will need to accomplish the job.
Also would I need to hack a wrench?

Ive read many times it they say its a direct bolt up. But never seen a how to lol. Its always different years
It's a direct bolt on, but as already stated you will most probably have to have to shorten your driveshaft.

No need to hack a wrench, buy the shorty, or use a 1/4" ratchet. You will need to lower the transmission so you can reach around to get the top two nuts. The exhaust makes this a pain, but it's not all that bad.
zarnold is offline  
post #1767 of Old 10-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Muzramp
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 93
Awesome thanks
Muzramp is offline  
post #1768 of Old 10-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Muzramp
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarnold View Post

It's a direct bolt on, but as already stated you will most probably have to have to shorten your driveshaft.

No need to hack a wrench, buy the shorty, or use a 1/4" ratchet. You will need to lower the transmission so you can reach around to get the top two nuts. The exhaust makes this a pain, but it's not all that bad.


So if I can get the drive shaft from the donor jeep. I wouldnt have to shorten?
Muzramp is offline  
post #1769 of Old 10-17-2013, 01:31 PM
zarnold
Member
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Park Ridge
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzramp

So if I can get the drive shaft from the donor jeep. I wouldnt have to shorten?
It will most probably be to short, I tried the same thing, but only had 1/2" or so of yoke on the splines. I drove it like this for a week or so, but in the end had mine shortened. If you go this route be very careful, loosing a driveshaft would not be good.
zarnold is offline  
post #1770 of Old 10-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Muzramp
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarnold View Post

It will most probably be to short, I tried the same thing, but only had 1/2" or so of yoke on the splines. I drove it like this for a week or so, but in the end had mine shortened. If you go this route be very careful, loosing a driveshaft would not be good.

Ah okay. Ill just get it shorten then.
Muzramp is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
NP249 to NV249 Transfer case swap CDRFunkmeyer ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 8 10-30-2009 12:39 PM
NP249 T-case dying & want to swap to a NP242 or NP231 IMin4Low ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 15 10-02-2009 04:01 AM
UK NP249 Transfer Case Swap (+ PICS) UK Cherry ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 4 07-12-2009 06:09 AM
NP231 vs. NP242 vs. NP249 offroader156 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 27 03-25-2007 06:17 PM
NP249 to NP242 SWAP tb007 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 2 11-30-2004 11:50 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome