Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 116 - JeepForum.com

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1726 of 3149 Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 AM
OutlawTX1
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1
Hey guys, i just purchased my first Jeep Project. It is a 1998 Jeep GC Limited w/ a 5.9. It is bone stock @ the moment. However it is getting a 6.5" BDS suspension lift ASAP. While i am doing that i am wanting to swap in a 231 TC. I have read over 50 pages so far, & i can not get a direct answer as to which year 231 i need to start looking for. I know i have a .840" 23 spline input. If someone could give me a direct answer, i would appreciate it. Thank You.

OutlawTX1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1727 of 3149 Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 AM
zarnold
Member
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Park Ridge
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawTX1 View Post
Hey guys, i just purchased my first Jeep Project. It is a 1998 Jeep GC Limited w/ a 5.9. It is bone stock @ the moment. However it is getting a 6.5" BDS suspension lift ASAP. While i am doing that i am wanting to swap in a 231 TC. I have read over 50 pages so far, & i can not get a direct answer as to which year 231 i need to start looking for. I know i have a .840" 23 spline input. If someone could give me a direct answer, i would appreciate it. Thank You.
From the first page:

All 96-98 ZJ's: .840" 23 spline input
All 96-01 XJ's: .840" 23 spline input

I've not seen one in a ZJ yet, but thy do exist.

[EDIT] Not sure if they were in 96+ ZJs
zarnold is offline  
post #1728 of 3149 Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 AM
comptiger5000
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 4,556
No 96+ ZJ came with a 231, so it'll have to come from an XJ or TJ.
comptiger5000 is offline  
post #1729 of 3149 Old 10-08-2013, 09:38 AM
dave_dj1
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: shushan, ny
Posts: 896
Painted the chrome grill black. hopefully by the end of the day she'll be sportin' some 35's

www.rok-freekz.com
Wheel it like ya stole it!
dave_dj1 is offline  
post #1730 of 3149 Old 10-08-2013, 09:42 AM
zarnold
Member
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Park Ridge
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
No 96+ ZJ came with a 231, so it'll have to come from an XJ or TJ.
Thanks for the clarification.
zarnold is offline  
post #1731 of 3149 Old 10-08-2013, 11:12 AM
98GCLimited
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LHC
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawTX1 View Post
Hey guys, i just purchased my first Jeep Project. It is a 1998 Jeep GC Limited w/ a 5.9. It is bone stock @ the moment. However it is getting a 6.5" BDS suspension lift ASAP. While i am doing that i am wanting to swap in a 231 TC. I have read over 50 pages so far, & i can not get a direct answer as to which year 231 i need to start looking for. I know i have a .840" 23 spline input. If someone could give me a direct answer, i would appreciate it. Thank You.
Adding to what was mentioned above in response to your question.

If you can find a 231 from a early 93-95 ZJ with the 4.0/42re trans it will have the .840" 23 spline input you need, you just have to remove the collar from the input. I made a couple posts about it a couple pages back with pics.

You have to take the case apart to get the input out and take the collar out of it then re-assemble but other than that it should be a direct swap. Atleast mine required no driveshaft modification since both the 249 and the 231 from an early ZJ I found were internal slip yoke cases, the only thing I swapped over from the 249 was the speedo sensor since the wiring harness plug was different and removing the collar from the input other than that all driveshafts and everything was direct bolt up and the shift position sensor matched my wiring harness clip.
98GCLimited is offline  
post #1732 of 3149 Old 10-09-2013, 04:58 AM
Snowfan2
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North of Amarillo
Posts: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawTX1 View Post
Hey guys, i just purchased my first Jeep Project. It is a 1998 Jeep GC Limited w/ a 5.9. It is bone stock @ the moment. However it is getting a 6.5" BDS suspension lift ASAP. While i am doing that i am wanting to swap in a 231 TC. I have read over 50 pages so far, & i can not get a direct answer as to which year 231 i need to start looking for. I know i have a .840" 23 spline input. If someone could give me a direct answer, i would appreciate it. Thank You.

I put a 231 in my 9er a few days ago. It came from a 2000 XJ. The speedo gear from your 249 will need swapped in and shift linkage adjusted.
Snowfan2 is offline  
post #1733 of 3149 Old 10-09-2013, 02:04 PM
hansshanks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: boise
Posts: 9
So a few weeks ago I swapped out my stock 249 in my zj for a 242. Well today I finally got around to crawling back under to hook up the shift position sensor. Well the 242 has 2 prong/wire hook up. The factory wire has a 4 wire/prong hook up. Does any one know which two wires i need off the factory plug. Or should i have kept the sensor off the factory 249? I went full retard and can find anything searching that addresses this matter. update.... I put a sensor in off a 249 and a zj 231 set up. and neither give me readings on the dash or VIC. I have already swapped the red and black plugs on the vic.
hansshanks is offline  
post #1734 of 3149 Old 10-09-2013, 02:07 PM
RWC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfan2 View Post
I put a 231 in my 9er a few days ago. It came from a 2000 XJ. The speedo gear from your 249 will need swapped in and shift linkage adjusted.
Ditto that. I've got a friend who put a 231 in a 5.2L '98 that he got from a 2000 TJ (case was already out when he bought it, so he is not 100% certain that's what it came from); he said it bolted right in, including the shift indicator switch, and all he had to do was adjust the linkage.

I put a 231 into my wife's '98 5.9L last month. I used the 231 from our '95 ZJ. It required disassembly to remove the bearing collar from inside the input shaft. THIS WAS NOT DIFFICULT. Once that collar was removed, it bolted in. I also swapped the bezel and shift gate for a complete OEM-style swap, and did the VIC plug. I swapped the speedo gear from the 5.9L's 249.
RWC is offline  
post #1735 of 3149 Old 10-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Matt-Barge
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 19
Hello Gents,

Brand new owner of a fantastic 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L (318) V8. I love my new Jeep. But unfortunately when I bought it the notriously bad NP249 TC was in it.

Thanks to this thread [Which is written up amazingly and I thank you for that] I was able to swap out my ****ty and siezed 249 for a 231. I purchased my 231 from a guy who had taken it out of an 88 Cherokee I6, which amazingly fit perfectly in to my jeep with the only change being the input shaft switch.

I do have an issue though, I read that you should be able to swap out the speed sensor from the 249 into the 231 but I was unable to figure out how to do so. I was hoping that someone here could link me to a write up on how to do it, or if because the 231 is from a 88 Cherokee there is some reason as to why I can't just easily switch it? If I can't switch it could someone let me know how I could go about getting a working speed sensor into my Jeep?

Jeep is drivable just without the speedo but I don't really want to be driving without knowing my current speed.

I have attached the photos of my 231 that I got.

Any and all help much appreciated to all of you.

Thanks so much

Matt
Attached Images
     
Matt-Barge is offline  
post #1736 of 3149 Old 10-10-2013, 11:36 AM
98GCLimited
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LHC
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-Barge View Post
Hello Gents,

Brand new owner of a fantastic 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L (318) V8. I love my new Jeep. But unfortunately when I bought it the notriously bad NP249 TC was in it.

Thanks to this thread [Which is written up amazingly and I thank you for that] I was able to swap out my ****ty and siezed 249 for a 231. I purchased my 231 from a guy who had taken it out of an 88 Cherokee I6, which amazingly fit perfectly in to my jeep with the only change being the input shaft switch.

I do have an issue though, I read that you should be able to swap out the speed sensor from the 249 into the 231 but I was unable to figure out how to do so. I was hoping that someone here could link me to a write up on how to do it, or if because the 231 is from a 88 Cherokee there is some reason as to why I can't just easily switch it? If I can't switch it could someone let me know how I could go about getting a working speed sensor into my Jeep?

Jeep is drivable just without the speedo but I don't really want to be driving without knowing my current speed.

I have attached the photos of my 231 that I got.

Any and all help much appreciated to all of you.

Thanks so much

Matt
The speedo sensor is on the tail cone side of the t-case where that length of cut cable is.

Take the bolt out that is holding down that half circle shaped retaining bracket that holds the speedo sensor in place then grab the big nut there at the base of the cable and twist it back n forth slightly while pulling it out.

Then do the same thing on your 249 and put the 249 sensor into the 231, dont force it too hard might need to slightly twist back n forth a hair or wiggle as you put the sensor in so the gear meshes with the corkscrew gear grooves on the t-case main shaft. Then reinstall the retaining clip and bolt that holds the sensor in place, you may need to rotate the sensor slightly for the grooves to line up with the retaining clip and bolt it down. Its really simple to do.
98GCLimited is offline  
post #1737 of 3149 Old 10-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Matt-Barge
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 19
Thanks for that. I'll do it tonight and post if I run into any snags.
Jeeps photos coming up soon(ish)

Matt


Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GCLimited View Post
The speedo sensor is on the tail cone side of the t-case where that length of cut cable is.

Take the bolt out that is holding down that half circle shaped retaining bracket that holds the speedo sensor in place then grab the big nut there at the base of the cable and twist it back n forth slightly while pulling it out.

Then do the same thing on your 249 and put the 249 sensor into the 231, dont force it too hard might need to slightly twist back n forth a hair or wiggle as you put the sensor in so the gear meshes with the corkscrew gear grooves on the t-case main shaft. Then reinstall the retaining clip and bolt that holds the sensor in place, you may need to rotate the sensor slightly for the grooves to line up with the retaining clip and bolt it down. Its really simple to do.
Matt-Barge is offline  
post #1738 of 3149 Old 10-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Snowfan2
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North of Amarillo
Posts: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-Barge View Post
Hello Gents,

Brand new owner of a fantastic 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L (318) V8. I love my new Jeep. But unfortunately when I bought it the notriously bad NP249 TC was in it.

Thanks to this thread [Which is written up amazingly and I thank you for that] I was able to swap out my ****ty and siezed 249 for a 231.

Matt
The 249 transfer case is in no way 'bad'. It is one of the best ever made for ice and snow and its very HD. No 2wd and no aftermarket options does not make it a bad case.
Snowfan2 is offline  
post #1739 of 3149 Old 10-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Platinum5nine
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Middle Island
Posts: 510
The only bad part about them is the fact the stock VC lasts about 100K miles, aftermarket VC lasts half that if your lucky, and they cost more than its worth to replace. For what a new VC costs you could buy 2-3 good used 242 cases.

Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Platinum5nine is offline  
post #1740 of 3149 Old 10-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Matt-Barge
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfan2

The 249 transfer case is in no way 'bad'. It is one of the best ever made for ice and snow and its very HD. No 2wd and no aftermarket options does not make it a bad case.
When I pulled out my 249 my viscous coupler was completely seized. Literally welded to the main output shaft.

Which I guess doesn't really give me the right to call the case 'bad' but from what I've read they're notorious for doing this if not used.

Just call me Barge
'94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Slow Build-------> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/new-jeep-owner-offroader-build-1675137/
Matt-Barge is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
NP231 vs. NP242 vs. NP249 offroader156 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 28 06-12-2016 07:40 PM
NP249 to NV249 Transfer case swap CDRFunkmeyer ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 8 10-30-2009 12:39 PM
NP249 T-case dying & want to swap to a NP242 or NP231 IMin4Low ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 15 10-02-2009 04:01 AM
UK NP249 Transfer Case Swap (+ PICS) UK Cherry ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 4 07-12-2009 06:09 AM
NP249 to NP242 SWAP tb007 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 2 11-30-2004 11:50 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome