Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 107 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #1591
Zakimations
1996 ZJ 

Sorry to interrupt.

My 249 to 242 conversion is complete, found a pre-modified 242 nearby for $200. Long story short (no pun intended): The rear donor shaft was too short, and my current rear shaft is too long.

I am having my original shaft cut down an inch or so, in the meantime I have a spare one that would work on a conversion if you aren't lifted like me.

If you went from an internal slip yoke to a external, and don't have a shaft; PM me. I will send it to you if you pay the shipping.

Spreading the love.

Zakimations is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #1592
StridAst
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakimations View Post
Sorry to interrupt.

My 249 to 242 conversion is complete, found a pre-modified 242 nearby for $200.

Hello there. I'm curious, where did you find a pre-modified 242 nearby? I'm in Clearfield, also looking to swap out a 249 on a zj (if you don't mind my asking) I'm at the stage of trying to decide where to get a 242 from, and who to have swap the inputs for me. With a 94 and the 5.2 engine, swapping inputs is a given.
StridAst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #1593
Zakimations
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StridAst View Post
Hello there. I'm curious, where did you find a pre-modified 242 nearby? I'm in Clearfield, also looking to swap out a 249 on a zj (if you don't mind my asking) I'm at the stage of trying to decide where to get a 242 from, and who to have swap the inputs for me. With a 94 and the 5.2 engine, swapping inputs is a given.
I found the modded 242 from someone who was parting out their ZJ on KSL (In South SLC). I was just looking for a replacement 249, and got lucky when he told me it was a modded 242.

My old 249 is sitting in my driveway if you want it. You would save me the hassle of storing it. It's a good T-case.

You know you can swap the inputs yourself, right? The write-up is pretty solid.

If you are looking for a 242 I would recommend South Bountiful Auto, or the junk yard. Personally I hate junk yards and will pay the price to avoid crawling through urine.
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #1594
StridAst
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
I found the modded 242 from someone who was parting out their ZJ on KSL (In South SLC). I was just looking for a replacement 249, and got lucky when he told me it was a modded 242.

My old 249 is sitting in my driveway if you want it. You would save me the hassle of storing it. It's a good T-case.

You know you can swap the inputs yourself, right? The write-up is pretty solid.

If you are looking for a 242 I would recommend South Bountiful Auto, or the junk yard. Personally I hate junk yards and will pay the price to avoid crawling through urine.
Hmm, I'll pass on the 249 thanks. I'm pretty much set on a 242 transfer case. I will look into South Bountiful Auto though. As for junk yards, I totally hear you on that one.

As for swapping inputs, I'd be paranoid I would mess something up. Auto work is sadly something I have little experience in. I am hopeful that will change as I maintain this zj, but I am not comfortable diving in headfirst into a transfer case. Just trying to decide on buying a remanufactured 242, or just taking chances on a used, and deciding where to take it for the swap.
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #1595
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StridAst View Post
Hmm, I'll pass on the 249 thanks. I'm pretty much set on a 242 transfer case. I will look into South Bountiful Auto though. As for junk yards, I totally hear you on that one.

As for swapping inputs, I'd be paranoid I would mess something up. Auto work is sadly something I have little experience in. I am hopeful that will change as I maintain this zj, but I am not comfortable diving in headfirst into a transfer case. Just trying to decide on buying a remanufactured 242, or just taking chances on a used, and deciding where to take it for the swap.
Take his 249 and steal the input. Then you can swap inputs at your leisure when you find a 242 and have a fully assembled case so your jeep will only be down for an hour or two when you swap the case, Dont have to wait on rtv to set up etc....
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #1596
Zakimations
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket

Take his 249 and steal the input.
Agreed. It's all yours if you want it.

PM me if you are interested in doing that.
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #1597
StridAst
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Agreed. It's all yours if you want it.

PM me if you are interested in doing that.
I've got the V8 engine in my 94, unless I am mistaken that means I must have the 1.55" input shaft length, where as your 96 would have the .840" input. so unless I am missing something (quite possible) it wouldn't work as I would still have to swap the input from my 249 over Also I would have to swap more then just the input shaft, as the date on my door is febuary of 94, so I probably have the old style cut gear on the input, where as your 249 would have the newer style cut?
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #1598
Zakimations
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StridAst

I've got the V8 engine in my 94, unless I am mistaken that means I must have the 1.55" input shaft length, where as your 96 would have the .840" input. so unless I am missing something (quite possible) it wouldn't work as I would still have to swap the input from my 249 over Also I would have to swap more then just the input shaft, as the date on my door is febuary of 94, so I probably have the old style cut gear on the input, where as your 249 would have the newer style cut?
Not positive. Instead of speculating I will just take a pic when I get home and post it. Cool?
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #1599
StridAst
1994 ZJ 

Quote:

Not positive. Instead of speculating I will just take a pic when I get home and post it. Cool?
Sounds good.
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #1600
smorris1969

Transfer Case Swap

Holy Cow! I guess I just needed to know what to search for! I've been to shops who can't figure out what is causing my issue and it seems to be a common issue with my '98 Grand Cherokee. Reading through this forum, it looks like there are a TON of people who know what they're talking about. I don't have a problem getting my hands dirty but I'm not even sure where to start!

Without going into the symptoms that everyone here knows about, I'll jump right in with a few questions - hopefully someone can help.

I've got a '98 Grand with the 5.2L V8. It's a 249 TC since I've got All-Time 4wd, N, and 4wd Low.

What things do I need to do/know/find/get to swap out? I've read through the first part of the forum (Thanks, by the way!) and it seems to be everything I need to know when I start, however at the point I'm at, I don't even know where to start. Where can I get the part? Are they available new? Where? The 242 swap-out would be more cost effective, correct? I really don't want to swap the VC if it's going to cost me more.

Sorry for the noob questions - just wanting to figure out where to start without reading over 100 forum pages. Just a little bit advice would be awesome!
smorris1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #1601
Zakimations
1996 ZJ 

You can get one from anywhere you would normally get parts (junk yard, people parting out their jeeps on the classifieds, rebuilt ones from the Internet or transmission shops, etc..)
Unread 05-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #1602
Zakimations
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StridAst

Sounds good.
StridAst,

Here is a pic of my input shaft.

FYI: I'm rocking the 5.2 V8... And the premodded 242 had the same length.
image-536183303.jpg  
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #1603
StridAst
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
StridAst,

Here is a pic of my input shaft.

FYI: I'm rocking the 5.2 V8... And the premodded 242 had the same length.
Well, looks like that input shaft wouldn't fit =/ With the 94 and the v8 I would have the 1.55" input which would most definitely be longer I do thank you for the offer though.

I've actually decided what I am doing for my new transfer case. I'm ordering one from Transfer Cases Unlimited. Seems that he's selling pre modded rebuilt transfer cases, so I can just pull my old one and put this one in, and not have to worry about swapping inputs.
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #1604
Zakimations
1996 ZJ 

Sounds good,

If your shift linkage doesn't match up with the new one I know how to modify it to work.
Unread 05-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #1605
StridAst
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Sounds good,

If your shift linkage doesn't match up with the new one I know how to modify it to work.
Thanks, I'll let you know My new transfer case should be arriving the middle of next week judging by the tracking number. I'm hoping to get to try installing it next weekend. More then a little apprehensive about trying this. I've never done any auto work more complicated then changing battery cabless before, but I'm determined to figure this sort of thing out No time like the present.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.