Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 107 - JeepForum.com

 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1591 of 3301 Old 05-16-2013, 10:12 PM
Zakimations
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kaysville
Posts: 144
Sorry to interrupt.

My 249 to 242 conversion is complete, found a pre-modified 242 nearby for $200. Long story short (no pun intended): The rear donor shaft was too short, and my current rear shaft is too long.

I am having my original shaft cut down an inch or so, in the meantime I have a spare one that would work on a conversion if you aren't lifted like me.

If you went from an internal slip yoke to a external, and don't have a shaft; PM me. I will send it to you if you pay the shipping.

Spreading the love.

Zakimations is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1592 of 3301 Old 05-16-2013, 10:36 PM
StridAst
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Clearfield
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakimations View Post
Sorry to interrupt.

My 249 to 242 conversion is complete, found a pre-modified 242 nearby for $200.

Hello there. I'm curious, where did you find a pre-modified 242 nearby? I'm in Clearfield, also looking to swap out a 249 on a zj (if you don't mind my asking) I'm at the stage of trying to decide where to get a 242 from, and who to have swap the inputs for me. With a 94 and the 5.2 engine, swapping inputs is a given.
StridAst is offline  
post #1593 of 3301 Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Zakimations
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kaysville
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by StridAst View Post
Hello there. I'm curious, where did you find a pre-modified 242 nearby? I'm in Clearfield, also looking to swap out a 249 on a zj (if you don't mind my asking) I'm at the stage of trying to decide where to get a 242 from, and who to have swap the inputs for me. With a 94 and the 5.2 engine, swapping inputs is a given.
I found the modded 242 from someone who was parting out their ZJ on KSL (In South SLC). I was just looking for a replacement 249, and got lucky when he told me it was a modded 242.

My old 249 is sitting in my driveway if you want it. You would save me the hassle of storing it. It's a good T-case.

You know you can swap the inputs yourself, right? The write-up is pretty solid.

If you are looking for a 242 I would recommend South Bountiful Auto, or the junk yard. Personally I hate junk yards and will pay the price to avoid crawling through urine.
Zakimations is offline  
post #1594 of 3301 Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 PM
StridAst
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Clearfield
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakimations View Post
I found the modded 242 from someone who was parting out their ZJ on KSL (In South SLC). I was just looking for a replacement 249, and got lucky when he told me it was a modded 242.

My old 249 is sitting in my driveway if you want it. You would save me the hassle of storing it. It's a good T-case.

You know you can swap the inputs yourself, right? The write-up is pretty solid.

If you are looking for a 242 I would recommend South Bountiful Auto, or the junk yard. Personally I hate junk yards and will pay the price to avoid crawling through urine.
Hmm, I'll pass on the 249 thanks. I'm pretty much set on a 242 transfer case. I will look into South Bountiful Auto though. As for junk yards, I totally hear you on that one.

As for swapping inputs, I'd be paranoid I would mess something up. Auto work is sadly something I have little experience in. I am hopeful that will change as I maintain this zj, but I am not comfortable diving in headfirst into a transfer case. Just trying to decide on buying a remanufactured 242, or just taking chances on a used, and deciding where to take it for the swap.
StridAst is offline  
post #1595 of 3301 Old 05-17-2013, 08:28 AM
speedbucket
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: chesapeake
Posts: 3,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by StridAst View Post
Hmm, I'll pass on the 249 thanks. I'm pretty much set on a 242 transfer case. I will look into South Bountiful Auto though. As for junk yards, I totally hear you on that one.

As for swapping inputs, I'd be paranoid I would mess something up. Auto work is sadly something I have little experience in. I am hopeful that will change as I maintain this zj, but I am not comfortable diving in headfirst into a transfer case. Just trying to decide on buying a remanufactured 242, or just taking chances on a used, and deciding where to take it for the swap.
Take his 249 and steal the input. Then you can swap inputs at your leisure when you find a 242 and have a fully assembled case so your jeep will only be down for an hour or two when you swap the case, Dont have to wait on rtv to set up etc....


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V8 zj at 6" . Double tri rear and true 3 link front. Stretched to 108"
speedbucket is offline  
post #1596 of 3301 Old 05-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Zakimations
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kaysville
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket

Take his 249 and steal the input.
Agreed. It's all yours if you want it.

PM me if you are interested in doing that.
Zakimations is offline  
post #1597 of 3301 Old 05-17-2013, 08:57 AM
StridAst
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Clearfield
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakimations View Post
Agreed. It's all yours if you want it.

PM me if you are interested in doing that.
I've got the V8 engine in my 94, unless I am mistaken that means I must have the 1.55" input shaft length, where as your 96 would have the .840" input. so unless I am missing something (quite possible) it wouldn't work as I would still have to swap the input from my 249 over Also I would have to swap more then just the input shaft, as the date on my door is febuary of 94, so I probably have the old style cut gear on the input, where as your 249 would have the newer style cut?
StridAst is offline  
post #1598 of 3301 Old 05-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Zakimations
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kaysville
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by StridAst

I've got the V8 engine in my 94, unless I am mistaken that means I must have the 1.55" input shaft length, where as your 96 would have the .840" input. so unless I am missing something (quite possible) it wouldn't work as I would still have to swap the input from my 249 over Also I would have to swap more then just the input shaft, as the date on my door is febuary of 94, so I probably have the old style cut gear on the input, where as your 249 would have the newer style cut?
Not positive. Instead of speculating I will just take a pic when I get home and post it. Cool?
Zakimations is offline  
post #1599 of 3301 Old 05-17-2013, 09:11 AM
StridAst
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Clearfield
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakimations View Post

Not positive. Instead of speculating I will just take a pic when I get home and post it. Cool?
Sounds good.
StridAst is offline  
post #1600 of 3301 Old 05-17-2013, 10:19 AM
smorris1969
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posts: 1
Transfer Case Swap

Holy Cow! I guess I just needed to know what to search for! I've been to shops who can't figure out what is causing my issue and it seems to be a common issue with my '98 Grand Cherokee. Reading through this forum, it looks like there are a TON of people who know what they're talking about. I don't have a problem getting my hands dirty but I'm not even sure where to start!

Without going into the symptoms that everyone here knows about, I'll jump right in with a few questions - hopefully someone can help.

I've got a '98 Grand with the 5.2L V8. It's a 249 TC since I've got All-Time 4wd, N, and 4wd Low.

What things do I need to do/know/find/get to swap out? I've read through the first part of the forum (Thanks, by the way!) and it seems to be everything I need to know when I start, however at the point I'm at, I don't even know where to start. Where can I get the part? Are they available new? Where? The 242 swap-out would be more cost effective, correct? I really don't want to swap the VC if it's going to cost me more.

Sorry for the noob questions - just wanting to figure out where to start without reading over 100 forum pages. Just a little bit advice would be awesome!
smorris1969 is offline  
post #1601 of 3301 Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Zakimations
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kaysville
Posts: 144
You can get one from anywhere you would normally get parts (junk yard, people parting out their jeeps on the classifieds, rebuilt ones from the Internet or transmission shops, etc..)
Zakimations is offline  
post #1602 of 3301 Old 05-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Zakimations
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kaysville
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by StridAst

Sounds good.
StridAst,

Here is a pic of my input shaft.

FYI: I'm rocking the 5.2 V8... And the premodded 242 had the same length.
Attached Thumbnails
image-536183303.jpg  
Zakimations is offline  
post #1603 of 3301 Old 05-17-2013, 08:13 PM
StridAst
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Clearfield
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakimations View Post
StridAst,

Here is a pic of my input shaft.

FYI: I'm rocking the 5.2 V8... And the premodded 242 had the same length.
Well, looks like that input shaft wouldn't fit =/ With the 94 and the v8 I would have the 1.55" input which would most definitely be longer I do thank you for the offer though.

I've actually decided what I am doing for my new transfer case. I'm ordering one from Transfer Cases Unlimited. Seems that he's selling pre modded rebuilt transfer cases, so I can just pull my old one and put this one in, and not have to worry about swapping inputs.
StridAst is offline  
post #1604 of 3301 Old 05-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Zakimations
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kaysville
Posts: 144
Sounds good,

If your shift linkage doesn't match up with the new one I know how to modify it to work.
Zakimations is offline  
post #1605 of 3301 Old 05-23-2013, 11:54 PM
StridAst
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Clearfield
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakimations View Post
Sounds good,

If your shift linkage doesn't match up with the new one I know how to modify it to work.
Thanks, I'll let you know My new transfer case should be arriving the middle of next week judging by the tracking number. I'm hoping to get to try installing it next weekend. More then a little apprehensive about trying this. I've never done any auto work more complicated then changing battery cabless before, but I'm determined to figure this sort of thing out No time like the present.
StridAst is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
NP231 vs. NP242 vs. NP249 offroader156 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 28 06-12-2016 08:40 PM
NP249 to NV249 Transfer case swap CDRFunkmeyer ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 8 10-30-2009 01:39 PM
NP249 T-case dying & want to swap to a NP242 or NP231 IMin4Low ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 15 10-02-2009 05:01 AM
UK NP249 Transfer Case Swap (+ PICS) UK Cherry ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 4 07-12-2009 07:09 AM
NP249 to NP242 SWAP tb007 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 2 11-30-2004 12:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome