Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 103 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #1531
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-318-IT
hi guys now i have a 98 limited 318 with the 249 but the vc is going bad...so i'd like to swap a 242.

i have a big doubt with the 242: can i use 4wd full-time at any speed? like the 249? or do i have some limits?
Yes, the 242 has full time 4wd which works great.

zarnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 03:36 AM   #1532
Mark-318-IT
1998 ZJ 

understood thanks, so i do not have any speed limit with the "4wd mode", right?
Mark-318-IT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #1533
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-318-IT View Post
understood thanks, so i do not have any speed limit with the "4wd mode", right?
It is recommended that you don't shift over 55 MPH.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #1534
Mark-318-IT
1998 ZJ 

Ok, tell me if i'm understanding right: shifting = changing gears...for example from 2wd to 4wd full-time, correct?
This is not a limit about using that gear.
So i can't shift from to 2wd to 4wd over 55 mph, but i can use 4wd over 55 mph...correct?

thanks and sorry for my english
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #1535
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-318-IT View Post
Ok, tell me if i'm understanding right: shifting = changing gears...for example from 2wd to 4wd full-time, correct?
This is not a limit about using that gear.
So i can't shift from to 2wd to 4wd over 55 mph, but i can use 4wd over 55 mph...correct?

thanks and sorry for my english
Correct. But in my experience, if you have enough traction to safely do more than 40mph, there's no need to be in 4wd anyway.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #1536
leviharbour
1995 ZJ 

rear seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewm6097 View Post
I picked up a 242 out of a 98 grand cherokee. I'm replacing the seals but I'm having trouble finding the correct rear output seal. In the picture, left is the original, middle is national brand part #4370n, on the right is timken brand part #4370n. What gives? They're all different and both the new ones have too small of a diameter to even fit. Anyone else have this problem? Where should i get the correct part?

Attachment 568617
I had the exact same problem for about a week of looking. I eventually found mine at Carquest. I will look around for the box on mine and see if I can find the part number for you. I know it was "...118.." something. It isn't the part number they list.
leviharbour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #1537
Mark-318-IT
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
Correct. But in my experience, if you have enough traction to safely do more than 40mph, there's no need to be in 4wd anyway.
thanks
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #1538
Andrewm6097

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviharbour View Post

I had the exact same problem for about a week of looking. I eventually found mine at Carquest. I will look around for the box on mine and see if I can find the part number for you. I know it was "...118.." something. It isn't the part number they list.
The seal i found at Napa was part# 18108.

Maybe this should be added to the original post with the seal information?
Andrewm6097 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #1539
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewm6097

The seal i found at Napa was part# 18108.

Maybe this should be added to the original post with the seal information?
Nice! PM this to JrMechanic. Make sure you mention which TC you were working on.
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #1540
ghatid
1998 ZJ 

Does anyone happen to know how much the output from the tcase should overlap with the drive shaft? I got a new drive shaft that turns out is 3 inches shorter than my original one...it seems to only overlap the output spline about 2inches which doesn't seem like it's enough for me.
ghatid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #1541
Danish
1994 ZJ 

What's going on Guys, great thread about the tc swap....more information than I can take in, lol.... Anyways I am having major issues with my jeep. I have a 94 Zj v8 with a pn249 it has a rustys long arm 35s an sits with a 5.5 in lift. The problem I am running into is a loud popping noise and binding in the tc and front drive shaft, here is a video link of what it is doing:

any help or suggestions would be awesome. I currently have the transfer case torn apart and it looks like everything is in working order, other than the VC of course, but the chain and gears all look good. I am pretty new to the jeep world and I am at a loss of what I need to do.

Thanks man!
Danish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #1542
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish View Post
What's going on Guys, great thread about the tc swap....more information than I can take in, lol.... Anyways I am having major issues with my jeep. I have a 94 Zj v8 with a pn249 it has a rustys long arm 35s an sits with a 5.5 in lift. The problem I am running into is a loud popping noise and binding in the tc and front drive shaft, here is a video link of what it is doing:

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wor0D4TW3tk&sns=em

any help or suggestions would be awesome. I currently have the transfer case torn apart and it looks like everything is in working order, other than the VC of course, but the chain and gears all look good. I am pretty new to the jeep world and I am at a loss of what I need to do.

Thanks man!
Can you rotate the wheels with them off the ground and the Drive shaft disconnected? Have you opened your diff?

If there's nothing wrong with you diff your chain could be stretched.
mandrews000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #1543
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wor0D4TW3tk&sns=em

Thanks man!
So if internals of your TC case look OK, and the chain is not stretched, reinstall it, and fill it to the proper level. Now test it with no driveshafts. Just see if you can reproduce the popping with no load (I don't think you'll be able to). Then test without the front driveshaft. Remember you can only test it, do NOT drive without your front driveshaft for anything other than a test, otherwise you'll do more damage to the TC, and know that it will roll in park without both driveshafts, so make sure your on level ground. If no binding in the back, reinstall your front, and test again.
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #1544
Danish
1994 ZJ 

Thanks for the help guys. I was lucky enough to have a friend who had a rebuilt 249 just laying around, put that old girl in and no more noises. So it definitely was something bad in the original tc
Danish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #1545
lil_joe
1997 ZJ 

I think I got "swindled" on a t-case. The one I bought has a build date of 9-8-2000, 231J, but is about 1.5 inches longer than my 249, and does NOT have place to connect the speedometer, and the rear shaft is larger in diameter than mine. The labeling on the tag is correct for what I need, but all that I have read here, there is no mention of rear shafts being larger, could this be out of a Dodge?
--[.]IIIII[.]
Obsession is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated
HER's: 92 YJ 4" RC 1.5 RC Booms, 1" BL on 33's
MINE's: 97 ZJ 5.2 Upcountry Limited Project 2" RE BB on 265/75 Mud Dogs, Locked front LSD rear, 242 swapped T-Case, RC Quick Disco's
www.virtualjeepclub.com/
lil_joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.