Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 100 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 01-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #1486
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GCLimited View Post
Thanks man I just went for it and bought it.

Worst case scenario I need to swap inputs, planetarys, and front case half and adjust rear driveshaft length but thinking it could possibly be a direct bolt in which would be sweet.
you can't swap a front case half from a 249 to a 231, the cases are different.

the early model has a shallow collar or ring seated into the female end of the input shaft. you need to knock that out to use that case with a later model transmission.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #1487
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
you can't swap a front case half from a 249 to a 231, the cases are different.

the early model has a shallow collar or ring seated into the female end of the input shaft. you need to knock that out to use that case with a later model transmission.
Ok, thanks for letting me know that, I didnt know.

I found that thing about the collar in this thread, but I just cant quite picture how its in there and how to get it out without seeing it myself or a picture of it. (I ordered it off the internet, so I dont physically have the case yet but I bought it already.)

Do I need to pull the case apart and take the input out to get the collar out or can it be pulled out of the input from the outside somehow and I wouldnt need to open the case?

Thanks for the help so far guys
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #1488
airwolf9090
1996 ZJ 

May be dumb thing to ask but can the output's be switched from External to internal? Like take the output housing off a 249 and put it on a 242?
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:37 AM   #1489
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9090 View Post
May be dumb thing to ask but can the output's be switched from External to internal? Like take the output housing off a 249 and put it on a 242?
That's a good question.

I actually had to put my swap that I had planned for today because I assumed my '96 MY (late '95 build date) ZJ had the ESY like the donor '97 242 t-case had. When I went under to pull the rear driveshaft I noticed my 249 had the ISY.

Can I swap outputs or am I stuck snagging the driveshaft from the donor Jeep or having my factory one shortened?

EDIT: I guess I could swap case halves correct?

DOUBLE EDIT: I eventually plan on a 3-3.5" lift, so is there any advantage to swapping driveshafts, swapping case halves or have the driveshaft shortened?

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #1490
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

No, you can't swap outputs.
Have your shaft shortened.

Unread 01-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #1491
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

I'm hoping I can find a decent donor. The wrecking yard I got the case from has several 96-98 ZJs with the 242 in it and if I go on a Wednesday a driveshaft would only cost me $14.

Would any 96-98 242 ESY rear drive shaft work regardless of engine/trans or am I going to need to find one out of an eight cylinder?

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #1492
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
I'm hoping I can find a decent donor. The wrecking yard I got the case from has several 96-98 ZJs with the 242 in it and if I go on a Wednesday a driveshaft would only cost me $14.

Would any 96-98 242 ESY rear drive shaft work regardless of engine/trans or am I going to need to find one out of an eight cylinder?
8cyl never came with the 242
you're probably not going to find a drive shaft to bolt right in. the drive train lengths and pinion positions are different between the i6 and v8 models.

Unread 01-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #1493
x10radsponge
1998 ZJ 

Ok, probably gonna get flamed here but I was at pull a part saturday and had 242's laying on the ground all around me. Problem is, not 100% on donor jeeps. I have figured out that my niner has the .840 23 spline input shaft, but what year XJ's and ZJ's are a direct fit. I think most of the 242's are from XJ's. I may have missed it and honestly have not read all 100 pages but is there a table of "this is your year, this is what fits" floating around?
x10radsponge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #1494
airwolf9090
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
No, you can't swap outputs.
Have your shaft shortened.
If i had the money i would but all the local shops want $200 to do it. And every junk yard around here lifts from the side making driveshafts unusable and the 1 place that lifts from the front don't have what i need and the one place stateboro jeep junkyard wants about $150 for a Driveshaft.... Its driving me nuts....
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #1495
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
Ok, probably gonna get flamed here but I was at pull a part saturday and had 242's laying on the ground all around me. Problem is, not 100% on donor jeeps. I have figured out that my niner has the .840 23 spline input shaft, but what year XJ's and ZJ's are a direct fit. I think most of the 242's are from XJ's. I may have missed it and honestly have not read all 100 pages but is there a table of "this is your year, this is what fits" floating around?
You could try this link it might help.

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...arts/jeep.html
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #1496
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9090 View Post
If i had the money i would but all the local shops want $200 to do it. And every junk yard around here lifts from the side making driveshafts unusable and the 1 place that lifts from the front don't have what i need and the one place stateboro jeep junkyard wants about $150 for a Driveshaft.... Its driving me nuts....
you can buy a whole new shaft for that kind of money. even the way overpriced shop around here don't charge that much for a cut and balance on a rear shaft. they want 275 for a front cut and balance though.

that's why i do my own.

Unread 01-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #1497
ghatid
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
you can buy a whole new shaft for that kind of money. even the way overpriced shop around here don't charge that much for a cut and balance on a rear shaft. they want 275 for a front cut and balance though.

that's why i do my own.
Just curious, earlier you said to only cut the shaft and not the output of the tcase, why is that?
ghatid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #1498
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Can't you cut the slip yoke on the driveshaft? I've heard numerous success stories going this route. I've heard an inch to an inch and a half is best.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #1499
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz
Can't you cut the slip yoke on the driveshaft? I've heard numerous success stories going this route. I've heard an inch to an inch and a half is best.
If you cut the slip yoke only the output shaft will still bottom out in the yoke. The best option is having your drive shaft cut down. I had mine cut down and balanced for $40 cash each. They said 80 I said I have 2 how about 40 a piece no special treatment just cut, welded and balanced... Deal!
mandrews000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #1500
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I'm hoping between my rear adjustable upper arms, my shaft, and the donor shaft, I'll get away without having to get one cut.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.