Transfer case swap coming soon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer case swap coming soon

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 07-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Transfer case swap coming soon

My NP249's viscous coupler has gotten so bad it's not just binding up on turns. It's making nasty grinding and growling noises, mostly at low speeds (or I just can't hear them over wind noise at high speeds).

Yes, I have read the sticky post. Just a few clarifying questions.

I have an NP231 from my 1995 ZJ. Just want to double check that I'm correct here - this transfer case won't directly swap in without changing input shafts due to the extra collar on the shaft? So in that case, no ZJ NP231 is a "direct swap" into a 96-98 since they stopped using the NP231 in 1995?

If my transfer case won't work, I'm going to go with an NP242 from the junkyard. Next thing - the sticky thread said all of the t-cases were within 1/4" of each other in length. Maybe so, but proportionally front-to-rear, they're different lengths from the center. I know because both my jeeps have had 4.5" lifts with stock front upper control arms and the old one with the NP231 had a decent pinion/shaft angle, whereas my new one with the NP249 is about 10 off. I also tried putting my front shaft from my NP249 jeep into my old jeep with the NP231 and it was too short, even fully extended, to connect on both ends.

Which shaft has the shortest front section? I'm looking to mellow out my driveshaft angle as much as possible to try to match my pinion angle without buying new parts (adjustable UCAs) if I don't have to. I realize I'm not going to be able to compensate for 10, but extending the length of the shaft will help some anyways.

The thread says I need the shift tab off the new transfer case. If the one I buy doesn't have one, and I get an NP242, is that tab the same as the one on my old NP231?

Unread 07-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

the 231 has the right input, you will just need to press the collar off the input shaft.
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
the 231 has the right input, you will just need to press the collar off the input shaft.
Does the input shaft need to be removed to do that? Doesn't say anything about it either way in the thread. I'm looking to do as little work as possible (as you can tell). I really don't care if I end up with a 231 or a 242 in my jeep and if I buy a new case for $100, I can sell my old 231 for that and make my money back. So really it's whatever involves the least amount of work. I can't have my jeep down for more than a day.
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

yes the input has to come out. its really not that hard. makes maybe 3 hours to tear down and reassemble one of these transfer cases
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
yes the input has to come out. its really not that hard. makes maybe 3 hours to tear down and reassemble one of these transfer cases
I'd rather have one that's a direct swap. 242 it is I guess.
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Hope I can get an answer on this before tomorrow...

Are the linkages for the NP242 and NP231 the same? The thread says the NP249 is longer but can be adjusted but my linkage is junk. I can get NP242 linkage for $10 but it's another hour of driving (an hour I could be working on the swap tomorrow) vs. if I can just use the NP231 linkage from my old jeep.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.