Transfer Case Swap 98 ZJ: 249 Out, 242 In - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
daphne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Posts: 48
Transfer Case Swap 98 ZJ: 249 Out, 242 In

OK so I'm about to do this. As you all recommended, I'm dumping the 249 and installing a 242.

There's only one 1998 in my local junkyard with Selec-Trac but there are plenty of other model years with Selec-Trac. Rather than having to deal with the spline matching issue, my mechanic will have my 98 on one lift and a donor ZJ on the other. He will take the shafts and transfer case from the donor vehicle and install them in mine.

Please advise me what model years will be OK for this complete swap so I can get a better (selec)tion at the yard. Thank you!

daphne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 06:07 AM
Area.3.Fiftyone
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kingston, Pa. 18704
Posts: 3,469
Not again......

SEARCH God damn it!

79' CJ7 - 82' CJ8 - 94' YJ - 96' ZJ
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.......
Area.3.Fiftyone is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
daphne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Posts: 48
O My!

Jeese, IronMaiden! I HAVE been searching all morning and have not been able to find the answer. There's a LOT of information about matching splines and making a selection between 242 and 231 and where to go to get the proper shafts but THERE'S NOT ONE definitive answer to my question that I thought was pretty simple. Perhaps instead of screaming at me you would answer it?

For someone who's really an expert I think this is a one-sentence no-brainer.
daphne is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 07:51 AM
KHoff90
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tulare
Posts: 964
Any year ZJ will work, but I believe 96+ is your best bet.
KHoff90 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
daphne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Posts: 48
Thank you, bball128. So I can swap all the parts from a 98 selec-trac at the yard into my 98 quadra-trac without worrying about splines and length of shafts? That sure would be a blessing!
daphne is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 08:24 AM
KHoff90
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tulare
Posts: 964
You should be fine if you're swapping from a 98 to another 98. I think all you need is the rear drive shaft though when swapping transfer cases - at least I did. The rear output shaft was about an inch longer on the 242 than my 249.

Any 96+ should work ok for this too; there's something about the 93-95 that is different, but I can't remember exactly what. I'll try and look this up for you. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge can tell you for sure.
KHoff90 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 08:29 AM
gbauer
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Frederick
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball128 View Post
there's something about the 93-95 that is different, but I can't remember exactly what. I'll try and look this up for you. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge can tell you for sure.
TC input spline length is different.

I had to swap my input shafts from my d-e-d 247 to the 242 when I did mine.
gbauer is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 08:46 AM
rugermack
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sonoita
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball128 View Post
You should be fine if you're swapping from a 98 to another 98. I think all you need is the rear drive shaft though when swapping transfer cases - at least I did. The rear output shaft was about an inch longer on the 242 than my 249.

Any 96+ should work ok for this too; there's something about the 93-95 that is different, but I can't remember exactly what. I'll try and look this up for you. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge can tell you for sure.
The 93-95 have a 46rh tranny which requires the longer 1.55 inout shaft.

95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 AM
KHoff90
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tulare
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermack View Post
The 93-95 have a 46rh tranny which requires the longer 1.55 inout shaft.
Ahh that's it, thanks! And there you go daphne
KHoff90 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Yardman Harry
O
 
Yardman Harry's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
OK so I'm about to do this. As you all recommended, I'm dumping the 249 and installing a 242.

There's only one 1998 in my local junkyard with Selec-Trac but there are plenty of other model years with Selec-Trac. Rather than having to deal with the spline matching issue, my mechanic will have my 98 on one lift and a donor ZJ on the other. He will take the shafts and transfer case from the donor vehicle and install them in mine.

Please advise me what model years will be OK for this complete swap so I can get a better (selec)tion at the yard. Thank you!
Hey dude, you should fill out your profile so that we know what we are dealing with here. (not like ill see whether or not its a zj or wj... since i have trouble with that... LOL)

As said before, 98 to 98 should be a direct bolt in. You may need to shorten the rear ds...

Yard

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. V8 - 5.2 litre 242 SelecTrac. SURCO Safari Roof Rack
Hunter Green


1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 10-25-2009, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
daphne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Posts: 48
Thank you, all! I'm going to try to coordinate this for this coming week. I'll post afterwards.
daphne is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
transfer case swap slinger129 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 4 03-20-2009 12:57 PM
transfer case swap nicks5.2 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 5 01-18-2008 10:22 PM
transfer case swap my94cherokee ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 4 09-05-2006 05:38 PM
transfer case swap my94cherokee ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 2 09-01-2006 10:37 PM
'94 - '95 249 - 242 Transfer Case Swap gcjeeper ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 5 08-22-2005 11:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome