Transfer case swap..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer case swap.....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 07-07-2014, 03:42 AM   #1
travisyoung

Transfer case swap.....

Now before yall jump down my throat I have done a lot of research and i think that is my problem haha.

Ill give a little background. I have a 94 gc limited 5.2 auto. After long highway driving trying to pull into a parking spot my jeep jumps and tires squeal soo that makes me think the vc is on the way out. Am i wrong?

So as far as i have read that i should get the 231 or 242?

So iv read that the input shafts matter? And there is different gear cuts? And the only way to tell is to pull it and measure it? Theres no way to tell by a serial number?

Im on a budget So which one to go with? Tbh if i wheel I'm going to be on trails in the sierra Nevadas and local mud holes. So which one? I would like to not to have to mess with DS well getting them redone but i can handle SYEs.

What else would i need to upgrade? Axles?

Im on a 2" bb lift but wont be surprised if i get up to 3-3.5.

So lets recap haha

1 Is the VC bad?

2 How to tell which input shaft and gear cut do I have?

3 what upgrades are needed?

4 Which year and T case should i get?

I know this is a beat to death topic but iv looked and am still confused. Thanks for the help and patience for a noob!

travisyoung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 04:17 AM   #2
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

1: Yes.
2: Gear cut is by year "Rule of thumb is cases with a build date of pre 94.5 will have the old style gear cut." Shaft length is also year, you should have a 1.55" input shaft.
3: Depends on the case and what you want to do with it.
4: Just replace the VC, overall the 249 is a much better case. If you really want to wheel the snot out of it then a 231 is the better choice for simplicity and ground clearance.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
1: Yes. 2: Gear cut is by year "Rule of thumb is cases with a build date of pre 94.5 will have the old style gear cut." Shaft length is also year, you should have a 1.55" input shaft. 3: Depends on the case and what you want to do with it. 4: Just replace the VC, overall the 249 is a much better case. If you really want to wheel the snot out of it then a 231 is the better choice for simplicity and ground clearance.
Hated my 249. I wanted a 242 for the full time high option for snow and rain (5.9 problems), 2wd for dry and highway cruising and locked tcase for off road. With the 249 I've been in 4lo, up to the rockers in mud while the front wheels sat motionless and the rear wheels spun uselessly. No such problems with the 242..

A new VC is expensive. Putting one in is tedious. If your jeep is a daily driver, swapping in a 242 can be done in an afternoon. Changing the VC can be a full day affair.
Unread 07-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glued2aPost View Post
Hated my 249. I wanted a 242 for the full time high option for snow and rain (5.9 problems), 2wd for dry and highway cruising and locked tcase for off road. With the 249 I've been in 4lo, up to the rockers in mud while the front wheels sat motionless and the rear wheels spun uselessly. No such problems with the 242...
You are clueless. The 249 is superior to the 242 in all respects. Under normal conditions its essentially 2wd. Only when it senses slip in the rear does the VC send torque to the front. This behavior is similar to a limited slip. By way of comparison full-time in the 242 behaves like an open differential. Its very frustrating to be sitting there in full time 4wd with ONE wheeling spinning. The 249 locks front-to-rear in 4lo.

All above comments apply to 96+ 249's The 93-95 249's which do not lock front-to-rear in 4lo ranks as one of the biggest failures in the history of Jeep.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
travisyoung

So i have the **** transfer case sense i have a 94?
Unread 07-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
MKCoconuts
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisyoung View Post
So i have the **** transfer case sense i have a 94?
Pretty much. I just swapped my 249 for a 242. I never had a problem with the 249, but I like having the 2wd option now, makes for much more fun in wet weather. I'd sell you my 249, but it's out of a '97 so the input and the gear cut are wrong.
MKCoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
94cherry
1994 ZJ 

I have a 94 and 95 zj the 94 had the 249 but the VC went bad so I swapped in the 242. I love it, its great to be able to chose what mode im in instead of the all time.
The 95 4.0 had a 231 that the gears and chain went bad in so I swapped for another 242 and it performs great also.
Unread 07-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead
You are clueless. The 249 is superior to the 242 in all respects. Under normal conditions its essentially 2wd. Only when it senses slip in the rear does the VC send torque to the front. This behavior is similar to a limited slip. By way of comparison full-time in the 242 behaves like an open differential. Its very frustrating to be sitting there in full time 4wd with ONE wheeling spinning. The 249 locks front-to-rear in 4lo. All above comments apply to 96+ 249's The 93-95 249's which do not lock front-to-rear in 4lo ranks as one of the biggest failures in the history of Jeep.
The 249 doesn't sense anything. It's mechanical. If the front and rear driveshafts are spinning at different speeds it builds up friction in the VC which causes power to go to the front drive shaft. In my first ZJ, a 98 limited, I had one wheel spinning in 4lo. Even in the 5.9 I have now with a completely shot VC, there were situations where only the rear tires were spinning in 4lo. It didn't seem to lock. Supposed to, probably, but it didn't. The 242 gives you the option to lock in 4hi and 4lo, and 4 hi full time works great with a limited slip. The jeep drives much better in 2wd also.

There is no arguing cost though. 242s go for $250. A new VC is $350 plus the hassle of taking it apart.
Unread 07-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
travisyoung

Does a 242 need new drive shafts?
Unread 07-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
94cherry
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisyoung View Post
Does a 242 need new drive shafts?
Depends on the year, newer 242/249 are external slip yokes and older ones are internal. Find the year of yours. Look for the tag on your TC then report back to us. Also read this closely.
Unread 07-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #11
travisyoung

Idk what all these mean, how can i telll?
image-3898220683.jpg

image-4096464509.jpg

image-102660682.jpg

Unread 07-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #12
94cherry
1994 ZJ 

The build date is April 18 1994 by looking at the serial number. Find a 242 or 231 that is a 93 to 6/94 then do the front shaft swap. t is an easy job.
Read this thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...-np242-685644/
Unread 07-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #13
travisyoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cherry
The build date is April 18 1994 by looking at the serial number. Find a 242 or 231 that is a 93 to 6/94 then do the front shaft swap. t is an easy job. Read this thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...-np242-685644/
Thanks!

I have read that one more than once its a lot of info to take in at once haha
Unread 07-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #14
94cherry
1994 ZJ 

When I did my swap I read the whole thread. Took me 4 hours.
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #15
travisyoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cherry
When I did my swap I read the whole thread. Took me 4 hours.
Damnnn haha i better start reading

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.