Transfer Case Studs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Studs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Transfer Case Studs

I am replacing my NP231 with a NP242 I got from a salvage yard. I have all the studs and nuts from the one I took off, but I want to sell it (anyone want it?) and I should keep them there, but the one I got from the salvage yard only had two of the six studs in it. I can get the nuts at the hardware store, but does anyone know the size and where I can pick up the remaining 4 studs? Or should I just get the correct size bolts instead? (I figured they are studs for a reason) Thanks! - Jeremy

kb9mfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

bolts would be a major PITA. just take one of the studs you have and match it up at the hardware store. all 6 studs are the same.
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
just take one of the studs you have and match it up at the hardware store.
I tried that, the studs have a coarse thread on one side and a fine thread on the other. Also I cannot remember the exact size of the fine thread side, I assume the coarse thread side is the same size, just a different pitch. I cannot seem to find any like that. I have not tried the dealer, I am guessing they would charge a lot for them. Thanks! - Jeremy
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/n...-size-1364934/
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Most auto parts places carry those type of studs in stock. In my area the NAPA has the best selection but the others also carry them. Those are very common on cars. I believe the nuts turns easier on the fine threads than the coarse threads in their threads. That way when you torque them down you are only turning the nut so your torque is more accurate.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9mfd View Post
I am replacing my NP231 with a NP242 . . .
Why on Earth would anybody do this? Huge step backward.

I usually get these studs from Crown Automotive. Virtually any company in the Jeep part business can get parts from Crown.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Why on Earth would anybody do this? Huge step backward.
If I was using the Jeep for trails and had it lifted, I would agree, but I live in Wisconsin and during the winter I cannot be shifting in and out of 4WD every time I stop at a 4 way and the road it dry in between. I need the full time 4WD for general winter driving and this is more of a family car than a toy. - Jeremy
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
Most auto parts places carry those type of studs in stock. In my area the NAPA has the best selection but the others also carry them. Those are very common on cars. I believe the nuts turns easier on the fine threads than the coarse threads in their threads. That way when you torque them down you are only turning the nut so your torque is more accurate.
Actually here NAPA did not have them. It took me one hardware store and three auto stores to find. 3/8 - 16 on one end and 3/8 - 24 on the other. - Jeremy
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Weird, it should be a common Dorman part. I think 675-003 should work depending on how long the shoulder length is.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalo...ec17_Part1.pdf

RockAuto sells a pack of ten for $3.90.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.