Transfer Case Rebuild Begins. Any tips? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Rebuild Begins. Any tips?

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
tnavz
1994 ZJ 

Transfer Case Rebuild Begins. Any tips?

I am going to start yanking out my 249 to replace the viscous coupler tomorrow. Is there anything I should know to make it easier?

tnavz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
a70eliminator

I've done 3 of them all withing the vehicle working from underneath, my modified set of snap ring plyers is all I need, take off the plate on top using a torx bit on a 1/4 socket and ratchet ratchet, take the bolts out of the rear housing, stick my plyers in from above and working by feel and a dental mirror, spread the reatiner ring and pull the rear howsing off, the rest is simple.
Putting it back together is easier, I wedge a tiny block of wood in the reatiner spring ring to hold it open, slip the housing back into position and pull the wood block out, done! bolt everything back up, I have it down to about a 1hr job start to finish.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
tnavz
1994 ZJ 

job is done. thanks
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnavz View Post
job is done. thanks
How was the Job? I have to replace the Sun gear since I am doing a swap. was it hard and how long of a job you think it is? Thank you and cheers
KillaJeep4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
tnavz
1994 ZJ 

The job wasn't as bad as I thought. If you are replacing the sun gear just plan on an extrs hour or so of time with the transfer case on your work bench. If you have some help and all of the tools, I think it would take around five hours. Thats just a guess though. Good luck. Oh and the only glasses I bang anymore are Becks N.A. It's not as much fun.
Unread 08-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnavz View Post
The job wasn't as bad as I thought. If you are replacing the sun gear just plan on an extrs hour or so of time with the transfer case on your work bench. If you have some help and all of the tools, I think it would take around five hours. Thats just a guess though. Good luck. Oh and the only glasses I bang anymore are Becks N.A. It's not as much fun.
I dont Bang glass haha, I use the glass for other purposes hehe....
But I should and will have the tools plus an extra hand.

How long did it take you to remove it? Any steps you recommend or do extra???

And is there anything out of the ordinary you did or need to do?

I also want to fix my Original TC. I think the Shift Fork is out of place because the 4wd Low Doesnt work, just Neutral there. I banged the TC on a Rock trying to climb over, Tire slipped and bang. What do you think?
KillaJeep4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
tnavz
1994 ZJ 

it will probably take a couple of hours to jack up the jeep and remove everything. as far as losing 4 low you probabaly just bent the linkage on the outside of the t-case. i dont know how much time i would spend on fixing up the 249 if you have something else already.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.