Transfer Case Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
furz4
1994 ZJ 

Transfer Case Problems

Looks like I blew transfer case. It was getting a bit noisey in front, had fluid in diff and transfer case. I thought my noise was the front wheel bearing but it seems it must have been in transfer case. Started to growell and just kept gettiong louder, then I smelled the gear oil and I knew I had a problem. Appears the transfer case had been filled with 90 wt and it oiled me down good underneath. Front wheels will not move when you back up. Looks like I will have to pull driveshaft and hopefully I will be able to move it into garage. what other issues should I be looking for here? Am hoping I didn't mess up the front diff. It was realy lugging down and shaking right before I had to stop. Didn't think 90w was usauall transfer case lube either.

furz4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

jeeps use ATF3..........
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
furz4
1994 ZJ 

That's what I thought, should be interesting to see what kind f carnage is in there once I get it out.
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

It didn't happen unless we get pics
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I've seen those t-cases run for months bone dry. If it really was filled with gear oil then I doubt that caused your problem. Perhaps the more serious concern it what else did the bonehead who filled it with gear oil do wrong?

Good luck.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
furz4
1994 ZJ 

Yea she was full of gear oil alright. I am suspecting it had some bearing issues and the 90 wt was an effort to quiet it down some. Am hoping it didn't take out more stuff when it went. Never heard of one going and leaking oil all over fast like this one did. I suspect I will probably find more wrong the deeper in I get. I'll get some pics once I get it back home and into the garage.
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
furz4
1994 ZJ 

Well it's been a while since I posted this and I have finally got it home and into the shop. The good news is the transfer case looks to be ok. The bad news is the front differential pinion bearings are the problem and the cause of the oily mess. Looks like the ring and pinion may be usable, the carrier got chewed a little by the end of the pinion gear but looks like it will clean up ok. I am thinking of just replacing the bearings and races and reassembling with the existing shims and running a pattern and back lash check and see how it looks. I am wondering what my chances of being in the ballpark will be? I could borrow the pinion depth gauge if needed. I would rather not remove the housing if I don't have to. I have messed with gears before with pretty good results but mostly Mopar 8 3/4 stuff which is a lot easier as the center section is removable. I would like to hear from some jeep people in the know as this looks an a lot like the little Mopar 7 1/4 unit and slant sixes would blow them.
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
furz4
1994 ZJ 

Or should I just go ahead and install everything new and be done with it.
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Just go get a new axle from s salvage or part out. Gonna be much cheaper and faster to swap the whole axle.

On a side note....do you have joint axle shafts or CV axle shafts?
If you need to drive it and have the u joint shafts....remove the joint and use only the outer stub shafts. The lack of inner shafts will keep anything from moving in the housing (with driveshaft disconnected of course). But the outrrz have to be installed to keep the unit bearings together
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by furz4 View Post
Well it's been a while since I posted this and I have finally got it home and into the shop. The good news is the transfer case looks to be ok. The bad news is the front differential pinion bearings are the problem and the cause of the oily mess. Looks like the ring and pinion may be usable, the carrier got chewed a little by the end of the pinion gear but looks like it will clean up ok. I am thinking of just replacing the bearings and races and reassembling with the existing shims and running a pattern and back lash check and see how it looks. I am wondering what my chances of being in the ballpark will be? I could borrow the pinion depth gauge if needed. I would rather not remove the housing if I don't have to. I have messed with gears before with pretty good results but mostly Mopar 8 3/4 stuff which is a lot easier as the center section is removable. I would like to hear from some jeep people in the know as this looks an a lot like the little Mopar 7 1/4 unit and slant sixes would blow them.
if the gears came out enough to lock up while driving, they're pretty much trashed now.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.