Transfer Case problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case problem?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 09-03-2003, 01:59 PM   #1
grandjeep

Transfer Case problem?

Hey guys, I have a question about my jeep. It is a 95 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0, and it has the selec trac 4x4. recently I have noticed that when I am driving I can hear a clicking from what sounds like the transfer case. When I shift to 4 HI the whole jeep shudders and bangs. Upon shifting back to 2 HI the jeep drives fine but still clicks.
I can feel the jeep shift into 4 wheel drive and coasting everything is fine, it is just when I accelerate.

Any ideas would be very helpful.
Thanks

grandjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2003, 01:23 AM   #2
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

Humm?, Could be a bad dearing in the t-case somewhere. It could also be a few teeth are missing on the front out put shaft. Or another one of the shafts. Could be the chain is very worn/lose. It also might not be engaging properly. As you can see, there are a # of things that it could be.

How long has it been since the t-case fluid was changed? The fluid is very easy to check & change.

That's the first thing I would be doing. Then I would go from there if nothing changes.

One other ? Are you engaging it into 4X4 properly?
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics

Last edited by Colorado 5.9; 09-04-2003 at 12:50 PM..
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2003, 12:42 PM   #3
grandjeep

Thanks for the reply, I did check the fluid in the case, it was about a half quart low, I filled it up and it is still making noise. I have had the jeep for many years and have engaged the 4wheel drive before so I am pretty sure I am engaging it correctly.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into how to check the chain, because that sounds very reasonably.

-grandjeep
grandjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.