transfer case problem 247 J - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > transfer case problem 247 J

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Bushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 05-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
Ironworker28

transfer case problem 247 J

Hey guys. Well to start i have a 99 GC limited 4.7 V8 quadradrive. The 4 wheel has never worked since i owned it. No noises, runs and drives mint, only the rear wheels spin though. I already checked and changed the fluid, no luck. I can jack the fron off the ground and turning either tire the front drive shaft moves in both directions with no problem. I noticed a vacum line on top of the transfer case. Would this have anything to do with it? I am pretty handy and would consider taking it out and apart myself. If not a vacum problem what internal would have gone on it that lets it spin freely?? No noise coming from it at all. Thanks.......

Ironworker28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
mendelmax
2004 WJ 

I'm not sure, but as I know there is no vaccum system in 247. There is only a cable to the shifter.
You didn't mentioned how with 4Lo. Do you have front traction then or not?
mendelmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

When you say vacuum line on the TC do you mean on the diff by any chance? If so that is a vent hose, not a vacuum line. If you really meant TC then Probably one of the rare people to have their PC (Progressive Coupler) die on them. Pretty rare.
Unread 05-04-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

You are probably talking about a vent line for either the transfer case or transmission.

How do you know the 4 wheel drive doesnt work?

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
Ironworker28

Guys, no offense but im not a moron. Its a hose the size of a vacum line that runs out of the TC across the tranny and towards the front of the vehicle. Just as if it were a vacum line. I know it dosent work cause i got stuck twice. No action from front end either time in 4 low or high. It dosent matter where the shifter is. No noise in either, just rear wheel spin. Can anyone help me with this?? This progressive coupler, if it went would there be any noise, or just no action?? Thanks for your input......
Unread 05-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
Varkyl
No where near stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker28
Guys, no offense but im not a moron. Its a hose the size of a vacum line that runs out of the TC across the tranny and towards the front of the vehicle. Just as if it were a vacum line. I know it dosent work cause i got stuck twice. No action from front end either time in 4 low or high. It dosent matter where the shifter is. No noise in either, just rear wheel spin. Can anyone help me with this?? This progressive coupler, if it went would there be any noise, or just no action?? Thanks for your input......
the "vacuum" hose it more than likely the vent line that leads up into the engine compartment, that way it keeps it above the water line.

have you checked the CV joint on the front drive shaft to make sure this is intact? If it has failed it can cause the vehicle to act like it just has 2wd.

new sig coming soon
Varkyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2006, 11:46 PM   #7
mendelmax
2004 WJ 

As I remember the diagrams, PC has nothing to do with operation on 4lo- then the low range gear couples front and rear together. If AWD doesn't work in 4lo, then it's quite strange. I was thinking about the chain, but I believe that if it would be gone, it would make some noise... strange, really.
Unread 05-05-2006, 06:37 AM   #8
JeepsterLR
1999 WJ 

Put both ends up on jackstands, put it in drive and see what does and what doesn't turn. If the front drive shaft doesn't turn at all you know its something in the TC.
JeepsterLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #9
Ironworker28

jeepster did you read my post? I had it off the ground. Drive shaft turns. I have nothing in 4 low or high, and no noise.
Unread 05-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #10
mendelmax
2004 WJ 

But you said, you lifted only front wheels off the ground. Have you tried all four wheels in air and pushing the throttle? And also trying it with 4lo. Then maybe you will see, if there is any movement in front driveshaft or none. If none, it would be really, really strange, because eaven broken PC can't affect it like that. Some torque must be transferred. It's really weird.
Unread 05-05-2006, 05:07 PM   #11
JeepsterLR
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker28
jeepster did you read my post?
Throughly.
JeepsterLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2006, 08:42 PM   #12
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

http://www.neow.org/NV242j.html

^^ That guy said his 247 stopped powering the front wheels. Didnt say what caused it though.

If the front driveshaft turns with the front wheels, but you get no power to the front when driving then its obviously a transfer case problem..

Is it possible somewere in its life someone didnt use the correct fluid in the case?

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2006, 12:05 AM   #13
mendelmax
2004 WJ 

But fluid itself can damade only clutch. He says, that fornt isn't propelled eaven in 4lo. Has this clutch anything to do with transmitting torque on 4lo?
Unread 05-06-2006, 06:05 AM   #14
Ironworker28

Im not a 100% sure about the t -case fluid. I know i had checked it and it was a little low, so i went to the stealership and replaced all of it with new stuff. Heres what happened when i first noticed it wasnt working. I was pulling my boat out from underneath the deck and to get it so it was in front of my garage i had to pull out un hook it and pull the jeep on to the grass to get around it. Well this was about a month ago and the yard was pretty soupy, so wet that in drive the "rear wheels" would just spin idleing. I went to 4 low and still nothing just sat in place. I tried going back in forth 4 low/high. I tried everything. As i was doing so it was like i was on ice and kept slideing more out into the yard. No action from the front at all. I finally had to suck it up and call my bro with his 98 GC to come pull me out of my own damn yard. No matter what i did i was getting no power to the front end at all. You think if i pull the t-case ill find broken pieces? Im kinda scared to do so, just cause it is my only vehicle, and it this case sounds as if id have to order parts. If i had a spare car i would just pull it and do surgery so i can let you guys know what i find. I am truly stumped as well especially with the fact that 4 low shold at least still work. If anyone come up with an idea im open to suggestions. Thanks for your opinions and suggestions......
Unread 05-06-2006, 06:19 AM   #15
mbogosia
1987 MJ Comanche 

I think you should check it out. Make sure you have any gaskets you might need and anything else and just go for it. I had this same problem except I ended up having no fluid so it was an easy fix. Don't take it to a dealer. You can do it!
Welded rear and Aussie Front Locker
mbogosia is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.