transfer case noise? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > transfer case noise?

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
nisilvia

transfer case noise?

I have a 2000 jgc and it makes noise from the middle to the front of the drive train. I did the axle and hub on the passenger side and the drivers side still looks good no oil leaks or anything. I changed all the diff fluids but not the transfer case yet, jeep was closed today, but could it be the transfer case? It makes a sort of a grinding noise and clicking-clanking noise, when i let it drive without stepping on the gas it doesn't make any kind of noise at all but once I step on the gas or slow down the noise comes back. any help would be much appreciated, thanks alot.

nisilvia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
kmd1776
2004 WJ 

what engine and transfer case do you have?? if you have 4 all time; N; 4 LOW thats the 247 transfer case. if you have 2wd; 4 full time; 4 part time; N; 4 LOW you have the 242 transfer case
04 wj limited; 4.7L V8, 247> 242hd swap; Hayden auxillary tranny cooler; BFG All Terrain 245/70/17; Moog Up-Country Coil Springs; Monroe Reflex Monotube Shocks; JKS BPE's; Chrome Overland tow hooks; Dynomax Ultraflow catback
kmd1776 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
cmonson

could be a u joint. Also could be the CV joint if you have that style of driveshaft. U joints are replaced very easily. CV joints can be rebuilt on the driveshaft, or a new one is around $350.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
jeremy18
1999 WJ 

If you have the CV style driveshaft look at the rubber boots on both ends of it axle end and TC end. When those boots have a small tear it lets all the grease come out and therefor dirt and all other germs get inside the driveshaft causing it to come dry and noisy
4.7L V8,20x10 Wheels,33/12.50/R20 Nitto Muddgraplers,6.5" IRO Long Arm Kit,Flowmaster 50 SUV Series Exhaust,4 10" Memphis M3 Sub's In Slot and Port Box,2000 watt Memphis Bell Amp,300 Amp Alterantor,Memphis Amp Kit,5% Tint All The Way Around,Black Projector Lights,Black Projector Fog Lights
jeremy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
nisilvia

I think it is the 247 transfer case. Is there anyway to check the fluids? Well I'm pretty sure I have to change the fluid anyway so that is a must. Is there anyway to check it without taking it apart? I tried to search but no luck. Would it lose power if it was the transfer case? Because it feels so strong after the diff change. I'm not sure if it is a u joint or cv joint driveshaft but you guys think that could be it? I could check that tomoro. If it is it do you think I could drive it to work tomorow and fix it mid week?
Unread 12-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
nisilvia

I have the 4.7 engine by the way. I also remember seeing the rear driver axle be a little bit greasy fro a leak or something. I guess Illl have to replace the too but that cant be the noise right because it doesnt sound like it comes from there. Anyway thank to everyone that replied
Unread 12-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
20jeepwj00
2000 WJ 

The 247 t-case has a viscous clutch for the all wheel drive,i have seen this cause noise issues in the t-case,if you have any acess to run the vehicle on a lift or with all 4 wheels off the ground listen around the rear of the t-case,if it is loudest in that area the clutch is probably the issue.
20jeepwj00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
nisilvia

I just checked out my driveshaft today. they looked okay and they werent cv driveshafts i think because they didnt have the rubber boots on them is that right? there was a leak on the transfer case though. do you think that could be it? My jeep does have 107 thousand miles on it.
Unread 12-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

Change out the TC fluid right away. Use only the 247 fluid from the dealer. Go from there.
Unread 12-19-2008, 12:07 AM   #10
nisilvia

well I'll update you guys with what I did. The good news is that I changed the TC fluid with the TC247 fluid from the jeep dealer, wasn't too bad 29.?? for two quarts. Well after I changed it I took it for a drive, it sounded a little bit better but the noise was definitely still there. There was still some snowy/icy areas on my street so I figured I put each side of the wheels on ice and see how my new tires perform. It helped me learn that the problem was in front of my car for sure. It slips for a little bit then as it grabs it makes a really loud noise while its gripping. So is this the diff? or the transfer case? Sorry for making everything so long just trying to help you understand my problem. As always thanks alot.
Unread 12-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #11
nisilvia

another thing I had to drive it today because the snowstorm in the northeast and the steering wheel was shaking like crazy.
Unread 12-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
naamang
2000 WJ 

Does this noise start @ around 40mph and then start getting quieter as you go faster? If so, it's most likely the transfer case. There is a chain that connects the front drive shaft to the main shaft coming out of the transmission. My Jeep had just over 100k miles when mine did this. What happens is the chain gets stretched and hangs loosely under the sprockets. When you get the truck to around 40mph, centrifugal force makes the chain disperse the slack evenly over the the entire perimeter of the chain, causing the chain to loose grip with the sprockets and jump teeth. The faster you go, the less grip it has with the top of the sprockets and the quieter the popping noise gets. Total cost to fix this is around $400 (for the 247 model) if you do the work yourself. The job is not as difficult as you might think. Here is a link to instructions on how to disassemble the transfer case: http://www.ehow.com/how_2179550_disa...sfer-case.html The trickiest part is expanding the snap ring in order to get the tail housing off. I didn't want to have to remove the transfer case from the vehicle to do the job, so I used a pair of needle nose pliers and cut the nose down as well as the handles so it would fit between the snap ring and the under-body of the vehicle. I also ground flats on the outside of the nose so it wouldn't slip off of the ring. You may be able to reuse the sprockets if you haven't been having this problem too long. The chain costs $250 at the dealer. I waited too long to fix the problem so the chain wore the sprocket teeth down. Hope this helps!
naamang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2008, 05:43 PM   #13
Igota94Grand

wondering if this is my problem. I have the all time 4x4 gc. it has 212,000 miles on it. just replaced the cv's the other day. still making the noise you described. aroung 40-45 when you hear it best
Igota94Grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
naamang
2000 WJ 

I have found a much better price of $99 on the transfer case chain (part #: 5012322AB) for the 247 model here: http://www.rigidsteel.com/y159pC3tIGk0.html Sure beats $250 at the dealer!
Unread 01-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #15
naamang
2000 WJ 

The best way to see if the chain is your problem: Secure the vehicle to keep it from rolling away, then remove both front & rear drive shafts from the differentials (leave them attached to the transfer case). Now, with the transmission in Park, rotate the rear shaft and note the amount of play. Now do the same with the front drive shaft. If the front has a considerable amount more play than the back, the chain is your problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.