Transfer case issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer case issues

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
aagill225
1999 WJ 

Transfer case issues

I am having a humming sound that I think might be the t case. My 98 5.2l has 214k miles and I've never had and issues. We replaces the from ring/pinion because that corrected the problem in the past. This time no go. The sound only occurs when the front drive shaft is installed and goes away when it's removed. Does the VC in the t case make a humming/whirling sound when it's bad?

'89 YJ 2.5L, 5-spd, Borla header, dynomax super turbo muffler, Big-O XT 30x9.5r15
2004 Jeep Liberty Renagade 3.8L 2wd
'86 XJ 2.8L V6, 5-spd manual tranny (My 1st)
aagill225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

To test if the VC is bad put the front shaft back in and drive it in tight figure 8's with the steering wheel turned all the way. If it feels like it's binding and hopping and you need to give it some gas to get it moving then the VC is bad. It will also leave tire marks on the pavement because the front tires are being dragged.

A bad VC can lead to a bunch of other front steering problems, tire wear, diff issues, ect.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Another possibility is that the transfer case's front output bearing is worn out and making the noise.
Unread 04-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
Another possibility is that the transfer case's front output bearing is worn out and making the noise.
I'm betting that it is if the VC was allowed to go bad for a while before the shaft was removed. Could be the reason the diff was messed up too.
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
aagill225
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
I'm betting that it is if the VC was allowed to go bad for a while before the shaft was removed. Could be the reason the diff was messed up too.
Yeah I think it's the third time we've had the diff rebuilt. Is it easy to swap a 2wd t care?
'89 YJ 2.5L, 5-spd, Borla header, dynomax super turbo muffler, Big-O XT 30x9.5r15
2004 Jeep Liberty Renagade 3.8L 2wd
'86 XJ 2.8L V6, 5-spd manual tranny (My 1st)
aagill225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aagill225 View Post
Yeah I think it's the third time we've had the diff rebuilt. Is it easy to swap a 2wd t care?
No, there is a very large thread at the top of the page about swaps. It's safe to remove the front drive shaft until you get it sorted out but go test to see if it's bad first to be sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.