Transfer case help NP249 kinda long, sorry.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer case help NP249 kinda long, sorry..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
airtraffic

Transfer case help NP249 kinda long, sorry..

Need advice guys ... Here's the deal.

I recently bought a '98 JGC. When the transmission/transfer case is cold in the morning, no binding. After the fluids heat up .. of course she binds in the turns. The truck's got 126K on it, so I suspected of course that the viscous coupling was worn. After reseaching cost of a new VC and installation, (stealer says 5 or 6 hours of labor to tear into transfer case and replace VC .. 2 hours to R&R the transfer case.) I found a remanufactured case on E-bay from high gear tranmissions out of Memphis for $799 shipped. So they ship it up .. they had me give them the tag numbers off the case to match up the right part. The numbers on the tags were different, but High Gear says they cross reference to the part they sent. I get the case take it to the stealer .. he calls me and says the new one won't fit! Turns out the female input shaft extension where the T/Case mates to the transmission is approx. 1 5/8" long on the new one where the one they pulled from my truck extended only about 3/4". I took some digital photos, I called High Gear and sent them photos of the two shafts. They said it seemed that someone either swapped tags on my T/case or swapped transmissions and cases or something else that sounded just as silly. They insisted their numbers were showing they sent the right part. They said the T/case should have had a long input shaft on it, but that they would make one up with a short shaft on it and send ot out.
Now, I owe the shop for an hour or so ($100) of labor for the time to take out my case and another hour to try to put the T/case that would not fit into the truck. Does anyone know if High Gear's statement that it "should have had a long shaft" is correct? I want to know if I should ask them to cover the cost of the labor for trying to install the wrong T/case. I don't want to rant a them is there is a chance they're right .. although it sounds ridiculous that someone would swap tags .. but perhaps it could have had a trans or case swapped before I got it. I don't know if the build sheet would have T/case ser. number?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Eric S.

airtraffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

I highly doubt somebody would have swapped in a 249 tcase. Shaft length changed at some point during the years, maybe somebody else will know exactly when. Swapping a transmission shouldn't matter since there's really only two that would bolt up to the V8s, and they'd both use the same shaft.

Should have gone with George at TCU. He knows his ****.
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
airtraffic

I wish I knew about George ... Sorry I should have mentioned I've got the I-6.
Unread 03-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
jfowlzj95
1995 ZJ 

This was posted on Mallcrawlin by DJJordache.

"this should help ya... the only one I don't know about are the ones that came with the AX15.....
ZJ 93-93.3 4.0L aw4 = short
ZJ 93-95 4.0L = medium with internal collar
ZJ 96-98 4.0L = medium without internal collar
ZJ 93-95 v8 = long
ZJ 96-98 v8 (both) = medium without internal collar
short = .750" exposed
medium = .840" exposed
long = 1.55" exposed"

Heres the full link if you want : http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...&highlight=231
Unread 03-29-2007, 05:53 AM   #5
airtraffic

Thanks JFowlz,

That was helpful! HighGear said that the sharft was "short" in my phone conversation with them ... I don't know exactly what they'll send me ... I'll have to talk with them later today. if they send me the short (.750 exposed) instead of the medium (.840 exposed) will the loss of .090 in legnth make a difference, or will I be good to go... it's just a daily driver ... no stressin' it in the mud or anything like that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.