transfer case help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > transfer case help

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 07-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
AN7967
1998 ZJ 

transfer case help

i have a 98 with quadra trac.. i was thinking of trying to put a selec trac transfer case in its place cuz i dont like the all time 4wd.. and also my vicious couplers are slipping in it... i was wondering what the t case model number was like the quad trac is 249j... and also willl this work jus swaping it out and not mess with the computer??? thanks

AN7967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Coletrickle
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I think what you're looking for is a 242. I took my 249 out and swapped in a 231, they all work. There are a couple sets of wires behind the VIC that tell it what 4WD setting you're in. Yours will have the black ones connected, seperate them and connect the red wires and you'll be all set.

As for the t-case swap, look at the write-up on jeephorizons.com and read a bunch about input shafts and gear cuts before you try to find a donor case.

Adrian
Homegrown Bumper
Aussie
Coletrickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coletrickle View Post
I think what you're looking for is a 242. I took my 249 out and swapped in a 231, they all work. There are a couple sets of wires behind the VIC that tell it what 4WD setting you're in. Yours will have the black ones connected, seperate them and connect the red wires and you'll be all set.

As for the t-case swap, look at the write-up on jeephorizons.com and read a bunch about input shafts and gear cuts before you try to find a donor case.

Adrian
you're backwards, the black wire is to be connected for the 242 or 231, the red for the 249.

this is covered extensively in the faq and many threads on this board. tons of info if you'll take the time to search for it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.