Transfer Case Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Help

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 11-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
nwzj_jeeper
1997 ZJ 

Transfer Case Help

I have a 97 jeep grand cherokee. I'm having problems with my transfer case. When I go to put it in part time or full time 4wd or even 4 lo or anything but 2 wheel. Only the front wheels light up and when it's in 2wd nothing lights up every once in awhile they'll all light up and I can go into 4wd.

image-3367488111.jpg

but it's the Vic that lights up to tell you what your in. Don't know if its a electrical problem or tcase.. Thanks

image-1216020428.jpg

nwzj_jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the tcase shifting is 100% mechanical. you should be able to tell if you're in or not without the dummy light module telling you.
the lights have absolutely nothing at all to do with where power is being sent. they are controlled by a switch on top of the case. since the switch still triggers the part time light, it's the lights in the gdm that are the problem. nothing at all to do with the case.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
nwzj_jeeper
1997 ZJ 

Okay. When all the lights are on all for move but now only 2 move then if all the lights are on then they all move
Unread 11-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Are you saying that you only have front wheel drive when those are lit up?
Frankly, that can't happen as the case does not work like that.

Unread 11-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
nwzj_jeeper
1997 ZJ 

Yes seems like it. Or 2 wheels going. If it just the lights how do I fix that
Unread 11-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

if that's what is actually happening(please go out and test in a slippery field or something for wheel spin), then you have a major mechanical problem in the case or one of your axles.

the graphic display module CAN NOT TELL WHAT INDIVIDUAL WHEELS ARE DOING. you need to ignore the thing and actually test what the wheels are really doing if you think you aren't getting power to the correct wheels when shifted into 4hi and full time.

Unread 11-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
nwzj_jeeper
1997 ZJ 

Yes I checked in the snow and mud and only when the lights light up thoughts tires are engaged. I never get stuck unless this happens.
Unread 11-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
nwzj_jeeper
1997 ZJ 

When it's all engaged I can hear it slip out of the right gear. Ill hear like a thud or just a pop and then I look at the thing and only the front 2 are lit up.
Unread 11-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the front tires only are engaged? again the FRONT TIRES NOT THE REAR?
frankly it's impossible the way the case works to only have the front tires engaged, so your rear axle is broken or your transfer case is broken...but since you have power to the back in 2wd it's neither of those....

can you get someone a little more familiar with vehicles to help you troublshoot here? this isn't going well.

Unread 11-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Seems like you don't understand. What the lights say isn't always whats happening. There is NO WAY the power is going to only the front wheels, unless you've removed your rear drive shaft.
If you don't believe me, put the jeep up on jackstands or if you have access to a lift and get all four tires off the ground. Put it in 2wd and observe what the wheels are doing. now put it in 4wd and observe.
dnuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
nwzj_jeeper
1997 ZJ 

So my tcase does work. I checked I pulled out the Vic and the connecter is loose I pushed it in and lights work all of them and I let go and they don't. Could this be bad soldering points or what?
Unread 11-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwzj_jeeper View Post
So my tcase does work. I checked I pulled out the Vic and the connecter is loose I pushed it in and lights work all of them and I let go and they don't. Could this be bad soldering points or what?
either the harness wires are loose in the connector, or the connector is loose on the VIC.
Unread 11-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
nwzj_jeeper
1997 ZJ 

How do to fix that? Do I just need to get a new connector?
Unread 11-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
not sure how its all put together, someone with more electrical experience will have to chime in
Unread 11-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
could be a loose board or something. i'm not familiar with the graphic display module you have. most people just toss them out and install the full vehicle information center when something goes wrong on them.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.