Transfer case gear grinding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer case gear grinding

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Compgeek789
1994 ZJ 

Transfer case gear grinding

It seems like right after I fix one problem with my ZJ another shows up. I always hear random growling and have random vibrating coming from the front end. I have the quadra-trac model transfer case so I never really switch it out of 4 all time. Today I was cruising at about 30 mph and the transfer case made a deafening grinding noise. I had to limp my jeep home while holding the case shifter forward in 4 AT (i don't know if it helped or not). Was it just a simple case slip or is there any possible failure?

Compgeek789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
02Lightning
1995 ZJ 

The random vibrating coming from the front end sounds like the death wobble to me. Also when that transfer case fails it defaults to locking all four wheels together and it shouldn’t make a deafening grinding noise when it fails unless you broke the chain inside. If you think it’s your transfer case I would check the fluid level. Also does it jump and buck when turning corners?
Unread 08-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

I had a KJ with a 231 case that made grinding noises. I just replaced it with a 242. When I finally got around to taking it apart to see what was wrong, I discovered a retaining clip had broken off the main shaft & got sucked into the low range gears, causing all sorts of damage.

You may want to rebuild or replace.
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Compgeek789
1994 ZJ 

It does kind of handle funny when turning sharp, but no bucking. I found out I was driving for a long time with absolutely no fluid in the transfer case and feel very stupid right now and hope that I did not do too much damage to it (i had to drive at 20 mph up a highway in 4 low to a service center)
Unread 08-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
02Lightning
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compgeek789 View Post
It does kind of handle funny when turning sharp, but no bucking. I found out I was driving for a long time with absolutely no fluid in the transfer case and feel very stupid right now and hope that I did not do too much damage to it (i had to drive at 20 mph up a highway in 4 low to a service center)
That would do it.
Unread 08-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Make that REPLACE!
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
sskilla

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Lightning View Post
The random vibrating coming from the front end sounds like the death wobble to me.
not DW. DW is unmistakable and is far beyond a random vibration.

it sounds like your vibration is linked to your TC problem.

and i also vote replace if its feasible. if not expect some down time while you pull the case and see whats what inside that thing.

good luck man.
'95 ZJ: 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump

It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.

R.I.P. 2000 TJ
R.I.P. '95 YJ

sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Compgeek789
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskilla

not DW. DW is unmistakable and is far beyond a random vibration.

it sounds like your vibration is linked to your TC problem.

and i also vote replace if its feasible. if not expect some down time while you pull the case and see whats what inside that thing.

good luck man.
Now that you mention it, what is death wobble? (n00b question)
Unread 08-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
sskilla

1995 ZJ 

DW is when your front suspension components get worn or damaged and end up with a little bit of play in them causing normal road vibration to increase in frequency and intensity.

in short, your worst F'n nightmare lol.

should you ever experience it, it is in fact unmistakable. you're first thought might be something like, "holy $hi#, im gonna die." as the jeep feels like its going to shake itself into another dimension.

do a youtube search and you can see some videos to get an idea.
'95 ZJ: 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump

It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.

R.I.P. 2000 TJ
R.I.P. '95 YJ

sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
Compgeek789
1994 ZJ 

Thanks. I know that must have been one of the noobiest questions ever asked on the forum

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.