Transfer case fluid type - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer case fluid type

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 09-07-2004, 04:45 PM   #1
JohnnyCash

Transfer case fluid type

I just replaced the seal that attaches to my TC and front drive shaft and wanted to know the type of fluid I should put into the TC. Its for a 97 GC Laredo 4.0L transfer case # 242. I called Jeep and they told me I need about 2 quarts of ATF+3, but when I asked the local parts dealer, they said Mercon III. I'm confused, which is it?

JohnnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2004, 06:08 PM   #2
laphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash
I just replaced the seal that attaches to my TC and front drive shaft and wanted to know the type of fluid I should put into the TC. Its for a 97 GC Laredo 4.0L transfer case # 242. I called Jeep and they told me I need about 2 quarts of ATF+3, but when I asked the local parts dealer, they said Mercon III. I'm confused, which is it?
ATF +3.........
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2004, 07:44 PM   #3
ShadMan

The transfer case uses Dexron III/Mercron, not ATF+3. Everything I have ever read (including Haines) says Dexron III/Mercron for the transfer case and ATF+3 or ATF+4 for the tranny.

Capacity is 2.9 pints, or about 1.5 quarts.
Unread 09-07-2004, 08:21 PM   #4
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash

Well, since Jeep and Iaphan both told you ATF+3 and ShadMan said Mercon/DexronIII, I imagine you are still feeling confused, so I have to weigh in and support ShadMan on this one. ATF+3 goes in your transmission (1994 and later) and Mercon/DexronIII goes in your transfer case. If you get them mixed up, you'll soon know about it because your transmission will (in technical terms), puke itself.

HTH
Unread 09-07-2004, 09:26 PM   #5
laphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
Well, since Jeep and Iaphan both told you ATF+3 and ShadMan said Mercon/DexronIII, I imagine you are still feeling confused, so I have to weigh in and support ShadMan on this one. ATF+3 goes in your transmission (1994 and later) and Mercon/DexronIII goes in your transfer case. If you get them mixed up, you'll soon know about it because your transmission will (in technical terms), puke itself.

HTH

OK, I just rechecked my owners manual again (its 1998). This what the manual says:

selec-trac - 3.0 US pints / 1.4 liter

Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent labeled Dexron III or Mercon.

I guess anykind of tranny fluid should work for 242 t-case. I asked the dealership and they says ATF+3 or 4 thats what I use on mine.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2004, 09:45 PM   #6
Dalmask

I'll pitch in another vote for Mercon III. I love how Jeeps have nearly every type of fluid known to man amoung their various parts.

-Dal
Dalmask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2004, 09:51 PM   #7
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laphan
OK, I just rechecked my owners manual again (its 1998). This what the manual says:

selec-trac - 3.0 US pints / 1.4 liter

Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent labeled Dexron III or Mercon.

I guess anykind of tranny fluid should work for 242 t-case. I asked the dealership and they says ATF+3 or 4 thats what I use on mine.

You know, I must have read my 1996 owner's manual about a bazillion times and still had to read it 3 more times after your post before I finally made the connection that Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid is ATF+ and picked up on the word 'or' in there.
That being the case, the next time I change my TC fluid, I'm going to use ATF+ so it matches the transmission. Unfortunately, my XJ uses Mercon/DexronIII in the transmission and TC, so I will still have to buy the stuff.

Thanks for pointing that out!
Unread 09-07-2004, 10:31 PM   #8
ShadMan

I really don't think it would make a difference either way. Owner's manual for my '94 ZJ states:

TC - Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent labeled Mercron or Dexron II.

Tranny - Mopar ATF Plus (Type 7176) is preferred.

Notice, the tranny says ATF Plus, while the TC says ATF. I really don't think it matters, though. It's only 1.5 quarts, so you're not looking at a big price difference if you want to use ATF+3. Personally, I'll just stick to what the owner's manual says.
Unread 09-07-2004, 10:48 PM   #9
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadMan
I really don't think it would make a difference either way. Owner's manual for my '94 ZJ states:

TC - Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent labeled Mercron or Dexron II.

Tranny - Mopar ATF Plus (Type 7176) is preferred.

Notice, the tranny says ATF Plus, while the TC says ATF. I really don't think it matters, though. It's only 1.5 quarts, so you're not looking at a big price difference if you want to use ATF+3. Personally, I'll just stick to what the owner's manual says.

Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid is ATF+
Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid is for Ford, Lincoln,Mercury
Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid is for General Motors

I think the way the owner's manual (fairly) consistently uses the name ATF+3, then suddenly stops and simply refers to ATF+ as Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid merely adds to the confusion.

I think DC has continued the AMC tradition of using different parts from different manufacturers in fine fashion.

Unread 09-07-2004, 10:54 PM   #10
ShadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
I think DC has continued the AMC tradition of using different parts from different manufacturers in fine fashion.
You're definitely right about that! Keep in mind that the TC is a NP/NV, not a DC, so DC stating ATF+ is just a way they can make a few extra bucks. The NP/NV 242 was not built with ATF+3 in mind.
Unread 09-08-2004, 09:07 AM   #11
JohnnyCash

I purchased the 2 quarts of Mopar ATF+3 (type 7176) from the dealer. I should be good to go.
JohnnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.