Transfer case fluid type - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer case fluid type

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-07-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
JohnnyCash

Transfer case fluid type

I just replaced the seal that attaches to my TC and front drive shaft and wanted to know the type of fluid I should put into the TC. Its for a 97 GC Laredo 4.0L transfer case # 242. I called Jeep and they told me I need about 2 quarts of ATF+3, but when I asked the local parts dealer, they said Mercon III. I'm confused, which is it?

JohnnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
laphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash
I just replaced the seal that attaches to my TC and front drive shaft and wanted to know the type of fluid I should put into the TC. Its for a 97 GC Laredo 4.0L transfer case # 242. I called Jeep and they told me I need about 2 quarts of ATF+3, but when I asked the local parts dealer, they said Mercon III. I'm confused, which is it?
ATF +3.........
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
ShadMan

The transfer case uses Dexron III/Mercron, not ATF+3. Everything I have ever read (including Haines) says Dexron III/Mercron for the transfer case and ATF+3 or ATF+4 for the tranny.

Capacity is 2.9 pints, or about 1.5 quarts.
Unread 09-07-2004, 07:21 PM   #4
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash

Well, since Jeep and Iaphan both told you ATF+3 and ShadMan said Mercon/DexronIII, I imagine you are still feeling confused, so I have to weigh in and support ShadMan on this one. ATF+3 goes in your transmission (1994 and later) and Mercon/DexronIII goes in your transfer case. If you get them mixed up, you'll soon know about it because your transmission will (in technical terms), puke itself.

HTH
Unread 09-07-2004, 08:26 PM   #5
laphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
Well, since Jeep and Iaphan both told you ATF+3 and ShadMan said Mercon/DexronIII, I imagine you are still feeling confused, so I have to weigh in and support ShadMan on this one. ATF+3 goes in your transmission (1994 and later) and Mercon/DexronIII goes in your transfer case. If you get them mixed up, you'll soon know about it because your transmission will (in technical terms), puke itself.

HTH

OK, I just rechecked my owners manual again (its 1998). This what the manual says:

selec-trac - 3.0 US pints / 1.4 liter

Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent labeled Dexron III or Mercon.

I guess anykind of tranny fluid should work for 242 t-case. I asked the dealership and they says ATF+3 or 4 thats what I use on mine.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2004, 08:45 PM   #6
Dalmask

I'll pitch in another vote for Mercon III. I love how Jeeps have nearly every type of fluid known to man amoung their various parts.

-Dal
Dalmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2004, 08:51 PM   #7
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laphan
OK, I just rechecked my owners manual again (its 1998). This what the manual says:

selec-trac - 3.0 US pints / 1.4 liter

Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent labeled Dexron III or Mercon.

I guess anykind of tranny fluid should work for 242 t-case. I asked the dealership and they says ATF+3 or 4 thats what I use on mine.

You know, I must have read my 1996 owner's manual about a bazillion times and still had to read it 3 more times after your post before I finally made the connection that Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid is ATF+ and picked up on the word 'or' in there.
That being the case, the next time I change my TC fluid, I'm going to use ATF+ so it matches the transmission. Unfortunately, my XJ uses Mercon/DexronIII in the transmission and TC, so I will still have to buy the stuff.

Thanks for pointing that out!
Unread 09-07-2004, 09:31 PM   #8
ShadMan

I really don't think it would make a difference either way. Owner's manual for my '94 ZJ states:

TC - Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent labeled Mercron or Dexron II.

Tranny - Mopar ATF Plus (Type 7176) is preferred.

Notice, the tranny says ATF Plus, while the TC says ATF. I really don't think it matters, though. It's only 1.5 quarts, so you're not looking at a big price difference if you want to use ATF+3. Personally, I'll just stick to what the owner's manual says.
Unread 09-07-2004, 09:48 PM   #9
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadMan
I really don't think it would make a difference either way. Owner's manual for my '94 ZJ states:

TC - Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent labeled Mercron or Dexron II.

Tranny - Mopar ATF Plus (Type 7176) is preferred.

Notice, the tranny says ATF Plus, while the TC says ATF. I really don't think it matters, though. It's only 1.5 quarts, so you're not looking at a big price difference if you want to use ATF+3. Personally, I'll just stick to what the owner's manual says.

Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid is ATF+
Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid is for Ford, Lincoln,Mercury
Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid is for General Motors

I think the way the owner's manual (fairly) consistently uses the name ATF+3, then suddenly stops and simply refers to ATF+ as Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid merely adds to the confusion.

I think DC has continued the AMC tradition of using different parts from different manufacturers in fine fashion.

Unread 09-07-2004, 09:54 PM   #10
ShadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
I think DC has continued the AMC tradition of using different parts from different manufacturers in fine fashion.
You're definitely right about that! Keep in mind that the TC is a NP/NV, not a DC, so DC stating ATF+ is just a way they can make a few extra bucks. The NP/NV 242 was not built with ATF+3 in mind.
Unread 09-08-2004, 08:07 AM   #11
JohnnyCash

I purchased the 2 quarts of Mopar ATF+3 (type 7176) from the dealer. I should be good to go.
JohnnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.