Transfer case was empty, should I be bracing for it to fail? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer case was empty, should I be bracing for it to fail?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
runge17
1997 ZJ 

About two weeks ago after a two hour drive, I noticed a whirring/clicking on acceleration coming from beneath the vehicle. Process of elimination, I replaced u joints and then replaced the front drive shaft. Bone head move to just do this today, but I check t case fluid and put my finger in, did not feel a thing. So I've filled it back up and the clicking/rattling noise has dissipated! Now no noises, just fairly smooth driving. Should I be concerned about the fact that I drove about 800k with no fluid? Of course it's not good, but should should I just consider myself lucky? All seems to be functioning correct, was the noise indicative of a failed bearing or just the fact that there was dry contact?

runge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i'd imagine dry contact. Keep an eye on your fluid levels over the next couple weeks. Can you shift through all the options? Idk if you have the 249 or 242 but for example on the 249 can you shift into 4lo?

You might be screwed, you might not. It could decide to grenade on you parts were damaged and they will eventually break. Hard to say without looking inside ya know?
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It may have had just enough oil in it to not ruin it. Just drive it if it's working now. The 249 is a pretty tough case.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.