Transfer Case Confusion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Confusion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-03-2004, 03:05 AM   #1
djorkboy
1996 ZJ 

Transfer Case Confusion

I have a 96 Limited that comes (here in Australia at least) standard with the Quadra-Trac transfer case. I cannot find any detailed info on this transfer case.

Web searches found me lots of info on the 'Quadra-Trac I' and 'Quadra-Trac II' transfer cases fitted to WJ models, but are either of these the same as the Quadra-Trac as fitted to the ZJ Grand Limited??

Is my Quadra-Trac permanent 4x4 or is it on-demand? how does it distribute power?

Any info anyone could provide will be greatly appreciated.

djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2004, 04:00 AM   #2
Interloper

this may help, clicky

You have a NP or NV 249, it's more of a progressive 4wd system where power is transfered when slippage occurs, never had one myself so I can't be of much help there.

P.S. 242's ROCK!

"nobody cares what's underneath," ...Dieter Zetsche
Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2004, 04:22 AM   #3
djorkboy
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for that info, it helps to clarify things a bit. I'm still searching for more info. Does my transfer case distribute power to the diff with the most traction or is it not that advanced?

I had heard that there was a better transfer case for real off-road stuff, the 242 sounds like the one. From the info I can find about the 242 it has 2x4, 4x4, 4x4 locked and 4x4 low. Is that correct?

From everything I can see the 242 will just pretty much bolt in without modification?
djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2004, 02:43 PM   #4
Harald

Quote:
Originally Posted by djorkboy
Thanks for that info, it helps to clarify things a bit. I'm still searching for more info. Does my transfer case distribute power to the diff with the most traction or is it not that advanced?
I had heard that there was a better transfer case for real off-road stuff, the 242 sounds like the one. From the info I can find about the 242 it has 2x4, 4x4, 4x4 locked and 4x4 low. Is that correct?
From everything I can see the 242 will just pretty much bolt in without modification?
Hello down under! Have a look at this site: http://www.jeep.com/4x4/index.html?c...epage&type=tab

If you want to swap a TC, pls. look here:
http://www.duff.ws/grand_central/tc_..._case_swap.htm

Think what you are looking for is the 242.
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2004, 10:44 PM   #5
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Here is a writeup I did on the 242 swap.. Its not very hard ...
I did it in one afternoon... Literally I started at 12:30 and finished it at about 7 pm... With one person helping...

242 swap linky...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.