Transfer Case Confusion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Confusion

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 04-03-2004, 02:05 AM   #1
djorkboy
1996 ZJ 

Transfer Case Confusion

I have a 96 Limited that comes (here in Australia at least) standard with the Quadra-Trac transfer case. I cannot find any detailed info on this transfer case.

Web searches found me lots of info on the 'Quadra-Trac I' and 'Quadra-Trac II' transfer cases fitted to WJ models, but are either of these the same as the Quadra-Trac as fitted to the ZJ Grand Limited??

Is my Quadra-Trac permanent 4x4 or is it on-demand? how does it distribute power?

Any info anyone could provide will be greatly appreciated.

djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2004, 03:00 AM   #2
Interloper

this may help, clicky

You have a NP or NV 249, it's more of a progressive 4wd system where power is transfered when slippage occurs, never had one myself so I can't be of much help there.

P.S. 242's ROCK!

"nobody cares what's underneath," ...Dieter Zetsche
Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2004, 03:22 AM   #3
djorkboy
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for that info, it helps to clarify things a bit. I'm still searching for more info. Does my transfer case distribute power to the diff with the most traction or is it not that advanced?

I had heard that there was a better transfer case for real off-road stuff, the 242 sounds like the one. From the info I can find about the 242 it has 2x4, 4x4, 4x4 locked and 4x4 low. Is that correct?

From everything I can see the 242 will just pretty much bolt in without modification?
djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2004, 01:43 PM   #4
Harald

Quote:
Originally Posted by djorkboy
Thanks for that info, it helps to clarify things a bit. I'm still searching for more info. Does my transfer case distribute power to the diff with the most traction or is it not that advanced?
I had heard that there was a better transfer case for real off-road stuff, the 242 sounds like the one. From the info I can find about the 242 it has 2x4, 4x4, 4x4 locked and 4x4 low. Is that correct?
From everything I can see the 242 will just pretty much bolt in without modification?
Hello down under! Have a look at this site: http://www.jeep.com/4x4/index.html?c...epage&type=tab

If you want to swap a TC, pls. look here:
http://www.duff.ws/grand_central/tc_..._case_swap.htm

Think what you are looking for is the 242.
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2004, 09:44 PM   #5
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Here is a writeup I did on the 242 swap.. Its not very hard ...
I did it in one afternoon... Literally I started at 12:30 and finished it at about 7 pm... With one person helping...

242 swap linky...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.