Transfer case buying question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer case buying question

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 06-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
"Case" as in housing or the transfercase as a whole?

Reason I ask, i'm about to assemble a 242-249 hybrid using the 249 front housing. I'm also going to look into the possibility of using the 249's chain and associated gear/output also. Just wondering which if any parts are stronger..
you could be onto something here. i still have my 249 from when i did the swap. i would be very interested in beefing up the 242 with parts from the 249., if it will work. can anyone clarify?

Unread 06-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I'm fairly positive the answer is no. It's been gone over before.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think you can do a chain swap, or was that into the 231, with the 249 chain and some other parts, but that's it IIRC
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The 242 HD for the WJ has the same chain as the 249 I think. From what I have read you should be able to swap some parts between the 242HD and 242 to make it stronger.

If I was going to buy one it would be from George http://www.transfercase.com/
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #20
chetzar
1994 ZJ 

I just bought one from George, he's a great guy answered all my questions and never once pressured me to make an order. I'm planning on swapping in my 242 this weekend (he specifically does 249-242 or 249-231 for ZJ's, and requires no core return).
I'll post some pictures of mine this weekend, I opened the box and it looks like used case half's, but new internals.
chetzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #21
StridAst
1994 ZJ 

I bought one from george as well. Installed it a couple weeks ago. Really simple to do when he sends it with the input shaft already swapped. Internals are largely from the wj 242. So you aren't getting the weaker 242 chain. A bit pricy though. Around 830 shipped iirc and no core return.
StridAst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:34 AM   #22
chetzar
1994 ZJ 

Also, if you want to keep the 249, but want it to function better, he builds a 249/247 Hybrid.
chetzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #23
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
The 242 HD for the WJ has the same chain as the 249 I think. From what I have read you should be able to swap some parts between the 242HD and 242 to make it stronger.

If I was going to buy one it would be from George http://www.transfercase.com/

Is this George somebody here? jrmechanic maybe?
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #24
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

^ George is the guy who runs the transfercase.com website IIRC.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #25
StridAst
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
^ George is the guy who runs the transfercase.com website IIRC.
Yep. Definately the best place to go, if you choose to spend more that you would spend at a junkyard.
StridAst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #26
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
Same can be said for 249 haters...don't be jealous because my chains thicker and case is stronger. Lol
I'm not, because it isn't! Don't be jealous of my custom built 242hd with a stronger chain than a 249, 6 planetary input, 32-spline output with a SYE. ;-)

And I don't hate the 249. They're a good case if the operator wants to put up with the disadvantages.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #27
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
I'll quote myself from another thread... These numbers are all taken from a NP/NV transfer case chart. The transmission ratio was obtained from numerous sites. Both the 42RE and 44RE have the same gear ratios. Strength is a moot point. Yes, it's stronger, but for what purpose?
That's very sensible, and far more pragmatic than most people who get in to these weeds ever will admit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.