Transfer case buying question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer case buying question

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
PhoenixZJ
1995 ZJ 

Transfer case buying question

I'm looking to swap out my 249 transfer case to a 242. I want to know what everyone's thoughts are on buying a used one, with say around 100K miles on it? I know the new ones can cost up to 1,500 but there are plenty of junk yards that have the 242s but they have about 100K miles already on them. Is it safe to buy those or should i be looking at ******* 600-1500 for a newer one? The junk yards are only asking about 250 or so for them.

PhoenixZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

search, there's ton of threads that will help you decide if swapping is the right thing for your driving/offroad needs or if you should rebuild. For example. go read this whole thread, then search for any new questions, and if you still have questions then come back

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/231-t-case-1534257/
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
PhoenixZJ
1995 ZJ 

I see your point but I've had the select track in other jeeps and I've loved them more than what I have now. That's why since my VC is going I am thinking of just swapping out to the select track. So is getting a 242 case (the select track one) with a little over 100K on it ok or should I look at dishing out a lot more and getting a new/refurbished one?
PhoenixZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #4
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

gamble.
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I went with a jy 242 shelf unit w/90 day warranty for $275 and seems to work fine. No idea what the mileage was and it was a direct replacement for the 242 on my 96 4.0 which was fried.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I picked up a 98 242 out of a 96 ZJ at the junk yard. It was all nice and rebuilt already. The biggest thing is the chain with them. There really isn't an easy way to test to make sure it's not stretched though. Shift the transfer case and make sure you can get it into all the positions and that the outputs work properly relative to the input for each position. That's more or less the only thing you can test with it at the junk yard. I'd say picking up a JY 249 would be a bigger gamble than picking up a JY 242.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

I got a used one through Advance Auto, it was clean when I got it, discovered one stud had been tweeked a little which hung me up during the install. Easy fix. It also had a small leak where the case halves join(not enough to worry about, after 6 months it hadn't leaked enough to even notice) All new seals had been installed when I got it. Paid around 300-350, with a warranty. Performed flawlessy, still working great when I totalled the jeep :-(
YMMV.
V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

I've paid $50-$100 for 231s and 242s. Craigslist from people parting jeeps.
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Ouch. T-cases in other parts of the country are kinda spendy. Around here the going price at the JY averages about $75 plus a small $15 core charge. There's a couple of yards that do half off days, so even though I ate the core charge (didn't bring it back soon enough) I got my 242 w/bezel for only $45 with tax.

I got lucky, as there were quite a few ZJ's with 242's in the yard I went to and pretty much had my pick of 'em. I chose the one that looked cleanest on the outside and didn't leak from the case halves. It cycled through all the gears fine w/o binding and none of the mounting studs were bent, also when I drained the fluid out of it, it was a nice red color and didn't have any metal shavings in the fluid either.

I have thought about replacing the chain just to CYA, but since I haven't had a chance to run the t-case yet I'll wait to see if I get an chain slap out of it before I split the case. I did however pick up new trans output seals and t-case seals to toss in when I do finally get a chance to swap it out.

If any of you guys need/want some 242 bezels, I've got 3 or 4 that I've picked up over the past few months.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingtheZJ View Post
I've paid $50-$100 for 231s and 242s. Craigslist from people parting jeeps.

This^^

Buy a decent used one and figure an add'l $200 for a new chain and master rebuild kit. Take a day to tear it down and rebuild it.

You could be well ahead with a rebuilt 242 with ~$300 investment.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

i pulled my 242 out of a 1990 XJ. all i did was swap the input and put new fluid in it. been running great for 2000 miles so far
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
This^^

Buy a decent used one and figure an add'l $200 for a new chain and master rebuild kit. Take a day to tear it down and rebuild it.

You could be well ahead with a rebuilt 242 with ~$300 investment.
This... And ignore the 242 haters out there. They know not of which they speak.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Same can be said for 249 haters...don't be jealous because my chains thicker and case is stronger. Lol
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
Same can be said for 249 haters...don't be jealous because my chains thicker and case is stronger. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
...I'm not convinced strength is a valid argument for the 249 either. Sure, the 249 may be rated for more torque (1800 ft. lb. for 93-95 and 2030 ft. lb. for 96-98 as compared to 1486 ft. lb. for the 242), but in reality they're all rated for GVWs up to 5500 lb. Not to mention, a 5.2 has how much torque? 300 ft. lb. First gear has a ratio of what? 2.740:1. Multiply that out. What do you get? You get a max torque of 822 ft. lb. Even after you take the torque converter into consideration, you're still under the upper limits of the transfer cases.
I'll quote myself from another thread... These numbers are all taken from a NP/NV transfer case chart. The transmission ratio was obtained from numerous sites. Both the 42RE and 44RE have the same gear ratios. Strength is a moot point. Yes, it's stronger, but for what purpose?
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post

"Case" as in housing or the transfercase as a whole?

Reason I ask, i'm about to assemble a 242-249 hybrid using the 249 front housing. I'm also going to look into the possibility of using the 249's chain and associated gear/output also. Just wondering which if any parts are stronger..
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.