transfer case or axle u joints - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > transfer case or axle u joints

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 12-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
93zjgrand
1993 ZJ 

transfer case or axle u joints

Only in 4 wheel drive do I have problems.. while driving in muddy wet grass straight or turning I get this pop or chirp noise every few seconds... never in 2wd.. the dana 35 always spins in 2wd right just not engaged and I don't think it's anything on the inside.. could it be the ujoint on the axle or the transfer case... how to check each it you could/can.. the drive shift has no play and feels solid.

93zjgrand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
neonhomer
1996 ZJ 

What transfer case do you have? I'm assuming the 242. Sounds like maybe the double cardan joint in the front driveshaft might be getting worn. (From what I was told by Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts) If you take the driveshaft off, the double cardan should stay up, not just flop down.

Try changing the fluid in your t-case. Two quarts of Mopar 7176 +4 (ATF +4... DON'T USE DEXRON/MERCON or GEAR OIL!) will do it.

Your u-joints might need lubrication. If you have grease fittings, give them a shot of grease. If not, you might need to pull the shaft and check the caps to see how they rotate.
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L/42RE/242 - Rebuilt motor w/ Comp cam (4/12), 3.5" Junkyard F>R lift, 31x10.5.x15 M/T's, Spartan Locked D44a, TC & tank skids, F&R adj trackbars, V8 steering arms
Galaxy DX99V CB, 102" SS Whip, Yaesu FT-2900R 2m, Larsen 1/4w mag mount, Sony HU, Massive 3way - F Door, Pioneer 3way - R Doors, MB Quart ONX304 Subs (x2), Lanzar 1600w amp.

"No Matter Where You Go... There You Are."
"Oh me oh my a lovely day is dawning. Oh what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep on site instead of in my bed" - Daria Morgendorffer (with my twist)
neonhomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
93zjgrand
1993 ZJ 

I have the np231.. I also have to give it more throttle than normal in 4 wheel... my front drive shade spins all the time.. but don't do it in 4 wheel
Unread 12-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would start by checking the front axle U-joints. After that the front driveshaft joints. Finally it could be the chain in the t-case that has worn and stretched.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
93zjgrand
1993 ZJ 

How do you check the ones on the on axle itself.. I looked under the Jeep and the drive shift were it sides in and out and the coupler is a little loose.. but the joints feel solid
Unread 12-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93zjgrand View Post
How do you check the ones on the on axle itself.. I looked under the Jeep and the drive shift were it sides in and out and the coupler is a little loose.. but the joints feel solid
The way I do it is to jack up the front end, turn the steering wheel and then rotate the tires and watch the u-joints. You will see wobbling and binding if they are bad.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.