Transfer case (249) question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer case (249) question

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
Crispy505
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Transfer case (249) question

Greetings, I am new to this forum and a new jeep owner. I bought my 98 GC a couple weeks ago and have been working on it constantly so that it can be drivable once again. I have some experience as a mechanic and have been doing everything myself. Lately, I've noticed a bad transmission fluid leak coming from the shaft seal where the transmission connects to the transfer case. My first question, will I have to drop the tranny to replace this seal?

Now, as I was preparing to work on the transmission, I pulled the drain plug from the transfer case and much to my surprise nothing came out. So imagine the last person who owned the jeep has been driving around with no fluid in the transfer case. My question is, should I go ahead and replace this transfer case or seal it up and hope for the best? Is there a way to tell if the case is going bad? It shifts fine and doesn't have any noticeable problems. The jeep has 213K miles on it.

Crispy505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Dodgeram1989
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

You need to drop the transfer case to change that seal. Wouldn't hurt to crack the tcase open why you have it out and inspect it
Dodgeram1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

You're looking at either the transmission output seal or the transfer case input seal. Drop the transfer case, and replace both at the same time. It's not a bad job, but not much fun either.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Like others said. Im betting since the transfercase has no atf in it and your seeing some kind of leak between the TC and transmission that the seal on the tc side is bad.

You have to take the transfercase off and you can just pop the transmission seal out and put a new one in, and the transfercase i think you might need to take apart for its seal on that side im not sure
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Correct - you have to remove the seal housing. It's just a plate held by 5-6 bolts (been a while, can't remember how many bolts). I think it's clocked, so take note of where the markings are.

Use RTV to reseal the seal plate when you reinstall.

Unread 07-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Crispy505
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, I got that thing out and cracked it open. There was just enough oil in it to keep the chain wet. Put new seals on and RTV'd the seams. I hope the RTV I used is all right for this. Lock-tight on all the seal of course.

Unread 07-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
Crispy505
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Have another question. I looked inside the transmission for the output seal and didn't see anything. The transmission is a 42RE. The only seal I could find was the one on the transfer case with the housing attached with four bolts. It doesn't appear to have a seal for keeping tranny fluid inside the transmission.
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

It's most definitely there. Looks almost identical to what you put in the transfer case. If it wasn't there, your Jeep would be marking it's territory right up to the skid marks

Unread 07-06-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
Crispy505
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I found it. It was so worn it didn't even look like a seal anymore.
Unread 07-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #10
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy505 View Post
Ok, I got that thing out and cracked it open. There was just enough oil in it to keep the chain wet. Put new seals on and RTV'd the seams. I hope the RTV I used is all right for this. Lock-tight on all the seal of course.
The orange sealant unless it says its ok for tranny fuild, the tranny fluid will break it down, and you might get a leak. I just caught some info on that.
Is it worth it to take everything back apart, clean it up, and reseal it with some tranny fluid safe stuff? I have no fa king clue. I'd probably run it

I used the orange stuff when I did my tcase swap and now a little less then a year later I can see the seepage and leakage from the tcase. I used a good amount, so I know that I did seal it correctly.

I am planning a tcase rebuild here in the next few months(hopefully by fall) and then I will be using the black rtv which ok for tranny fuild.
Unread 07-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Next time you do any TC maintenance, get yourself a can of Permatex "Right Stuff". It cures before you can even get the ATF in there. I've used it all over the place, and the shop that did my emergency teardown in Moab does too.

It can be a little more spendy than the stuff in a tube, but it's worth it. All temps, all fluids as far as I know.

Unread 07-07-2011, 02:32 AM   #12
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z71tbi View Post
The orange sealant unless it says its ok for tranny fuild:
Looks red ... btw

I have used orange in the past and it works just fine on a TC. I would not mess around with rtv on the tranz pan though,too risky if your not very careful.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #13
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virmagicus View Post
Looks red ... btw

I have used orange in the past and it works just fine on a TC. I would not mess around with rtv on the tranz pan though,too risky if your not very careful.
It look like a good match in color to the orange extension cord that is in the pic

I never said that it would not do the trick to seal up the tcase. If added to soon the tranny fluid just messes up the curing process. Now if you wait 24+ hours for the rtv to cure, then add the tranny fluid, the problems will be less likely.

Hasn't anyone noticed how the rtv has a kinda slimy/ weird rubbery feel to it when exposed to tranny fluid?
Unread 07-07-2011, 04:10 AM   #14
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

If you ever need to weld dissimilar metals permanently, just use "right stuff".

Hate that stuff.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #15
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

You'll be fine using silicone that way. It's honestly a bit much with the concern being the same size overflow bead inside, able to break free, but it's fine. Just a note for the next time.

For what it's worth there's a WONDER TOOL made by valco, called a tube gripper. Pistol grip for silicone. Apply like a pro. Speaking of pros I don't know any mechanics that use colors other than black. From what I see there's no applications on a car where silicone is used, and the special conditions exist for the colors to be required. You know what they say about going black. Auto manufacturers went black a long time ago.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak , seal , transfer case , zj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.