Trans swap...how much time? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trans swap...how much time?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Dumpy
1972 J-Series Truck 

Trans swap...how much time?

42RE is going out and time to swap. I have a trans jack and everything else ready to go, just no garage and a lot of rain in the forecast. About how long should I expect the swap to take, and is there anything I need to look out for or take into consideration?

Also, and problems removing the exhaust?

Unread 07-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

i have the 46RH, but probably not much different other than its bigger. pulled it to replace the pump seal. i had access to a lift. took me around 6 hours. it was my first time pulling and installing a trans.
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
KBUCK
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Be sure to take out the crank sensor before removing the bell housing bolts or you could break it. The crank sensor is on the top of the bell housing at the block mating surface and just to the right of center. It has 2- 13 mm headed bolts holding it in. After you take the bolts out lift it straight up its about 3 inches long. I have put 5 transmissions in my 97 and it now takes me about 1.5 hours to complete the job. I found it is easier to take the transfer case off before removing the trans. I actually don't use a jack for it, it only weighs about 30 lbs.
KBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Dumpy
1972 J-Series Truck 

Cool, thanks. I have the crank sensor down to an art form. Was thinking about pulling with the tcase off. I've done manuals but only installed one auto in a Wagoneer. This thing is way heavier than a 727!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.