Trans Shudder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trans Shudder

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Trans Shudder

Ok, so I recently replaced the Governor pressure sensor and solenoids on my '96 5.2 Limited. Also tossed in a new filter and fluid.

It seems to have fixed my issue with not automatically shifting into 1st when coming to a stop. The Jeep still takes a bit of throttle to get moving, but I attribute that to either being a high mileage trans (223k), the fan clutch is failing, or a combination of both.

During my test drive after the repairs I noticed a couple things:

1- When accelerating between 25 MPH and 40 MPH if I get on the throttle 50% or more, I get a shudder/vibration throughout the vehicle. This was not an issue before the parts were replaced.

2- The trans won't downshift from 3rd or 2nd into first if I floor it. I would expect it to downshift into first if I'm crusing around 30 MPH, correct?

Any ideas on the shudder/vibration problem?

I assume my downshift issue could be related to the TV cable needing adjustment, or should I look elsewhere?

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Ok, so here's a little more info after driving it today for lunch:

Trans fluid was about half a qt. low, I topped it off, but it did not help the issue.

Now that the roads are clear of snow, I can get a better feel for what the standstill accelerration. Now it feels like the replacement parts I put in did not fix the problem. Putting the shifter into 1st makes the trans feel more responsive.

The engine will not rev above 2K RPM when starting from a standstill, when cruising between 30 and 40 MPH, it will downshift into 2nd and the RPMs will go above 2K, but that's the only time.

I pulled the CEL codes (light NOT on) using the key trick and I got code 45 twice. Obviously my engine is not turbocharged, so I assume this is a trans code.

My searching online indicates that trans code 45 could be the trans temp sensor, which is built into one of the solenoids I replaced. I did not get an over temp warning on my VIC.

Any ideas?

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.