Trans issues out of the blue. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trans issues out of the blue.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

Trans issues out of the blue.

Alright guys, been lucky so far and havent had to fix anything on my 98zj I6,, until today.
A lil preface,, live in Va. And have been getting a lil snow/ice last few days. And jeep felt like it was in full time 4x, (have had to manually shift linkage back to 2x previously ) but being wet figured just drive it like that shouldnt hurt since i have my wife drive it to work on snowy days.
Ok, yesterday took the kids about 1 1/2 round trip to the rifle range,, felt tight like in 4x but no problems. Now this morning my wife gets in the jeep to go to work and says it wouldnt shift into drive, she downshifts through a couple of times and drive began working,, not thinking much of it continues to work.
Lunchtime comes and i get a call that zj wouldnt go into gear again and now wont start.
I go up there to try to fix it but not sure where to start.
It wont start. When shifting it feels like i go into reverse, then just slide through all drive gears. Nuetral saftey switch,, tv cable,, governor solenoid? ?
Any advise appreciated.,, we do have her car but love my zj and cant have it broke down in her work parking lot......

Bear304inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

Possible shift cable? I didn't think not getting drive would stop the truck from starting,, possible nss ,,but that wouldn't stop it from going into gear, even unstarted. Confused.......
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

Bump, still broke down in the parking lot... any ideas?? HELP.........
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Is the tranny end of the shift cable moving properly while shifting...?

Make sure the cable is not damaged and the clamp is tight around the shaft.

Black cable coming in from left side. Check clamp on other end of lever where pivot attaches.

While holding the shifter button in... can you feel detents as you shift through the gears?

If shift cable is good, and you don't feel detents... could be a problem with the Manual Lever inside the tranny.

Check info... HERE

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Roskoe
1998 ZJ 

Check Fluids?

I hate when old people poke me at weddings, point and whisper, "You're next." So I've started doing the same thing to them at funerals
Roskoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

BUMP......
Koreazj was right on the money. Daughters had district swim meets last couple of nights and freezing temps afterwards but finally had time to get up there and check it out. Turns out koreazj had it peged,, shift cable had shaken loose while driving a few miles on rough grated gravel roads the day before the breakdown. Less than five minute fix (three of those spent spreading a blanket on the cold *** pavement, ,lol).
Pics were awesome help. Thanks guys you REALLY helped me not waste time or money with this fix.

Shift cable repair::
Two minutes of time =FREE
one zip tie in tool bx= FREE
Advice from jeepforum= PRICELESS
Edit; besides my awesome zip tie, is there a more permanent fix?
forumrunner_20130201_210428.jpg  
Unread 02-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

Ziptie engineering.

forumrunner_20130201_212524.jpg
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

The Shift Cable end looks rusted pretty bad. Hard to tell from the pic, but the Manual Control Lever ball stud may be worn down also.

Consider replacing both, simple to do.

New Mopar parts...
52079168AB - Manual Control Lever
$12-15

52104095 - Gearshift Control Cable
$60-90

Verify part numbers. Prices vary between online wholesalers and dealer.
I use www . mopar-wholesale . com

Or grab some good condition parts from JY.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Roskoe
1998 ZJ 

Gotta love zip ties

I hate when old people poke me at weddings, point and whisper, "You're next." So I've started doing the same thing to them at funerals
Roskoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.