Trans issues. Automatic, 5.2L. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trans issues. Automatic, 5.2L.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
timtuttlez3531
1995 ZJ 

Trans issues. Automatic, 5.2L.

Here's a weird one. Now I don't know much at all about transmissions so that's kind of why I'm here. Now I did a routine fluids check and noticed my trans fluid wasn't reading that I had any at all. Yes the vehicle was running, in neutral, while on a level surface. I did notice a small leak on the cooling lines leading up to the radiator, so far up that I had fluid on the bottom of my front bumper. Here's the weird thing. I didn't notice the fluid was low until I performed the check. The transmission hasn't been behaving weirdly at all. Shifting normal, no overheating issues/grinding or whirring noise. So my question is, is it possible that I do have adequate fluid but something could be making the reading come up wrong? I know it sounds stupid but I'm stumped. And I don't want to add any fluid yet and risk overfilling it and causing unnecessary damage. Thanks all in advance for taking time to read through all this.

timtuttlez3531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

You might have just been lucky. If it's the OEM dipstick, it should be up to the full line.

On my first ZJ many years ago, I didn't realize you had to check the level in neutral. I always checked it in park. Once I actually read the dipstick and checked in neutral, it was down about a half quart. Like you, I never had any issues or symptoms but I did top it off after that.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

If fluid didn't show up on the dipstick the transmission should have been slipping. Possibly you didn't have the dipstick seated all the way when you checked the level?

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.