Is the trans go shift kit the way to go on high mileage trans? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is the trans go shift kit the way to go on high mileage trans?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
crashcraddock
2000 WJ 

Is the trans go shift kit the way to go on high mileage trans?

I have a 00 WJ 4.7 with 117K and was wondering if it would be ok to put the trans go shift kit in? Are the shifts going to be much harder with normal driving, or only WOT? The torque converter, when on the highway, sometimes jumps out of "lock up" when I hit a bump, so I'm hoping a good fluid change with the shift kit will help my problem. What do you guys think?

crashcraddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldnt touch a tranny with 117K miles on it. Not worth doing al the work unless your going to rebuild it at the same time.
jeep95xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep95xj View Post
I wouldnt touch a tranny with 117K miles on it. Not worth doing al the work unless your going to rebuild it at the same time.
What?

If you are going to do a fluid/filter change might as well do the shift kit too. The shift kit ups the line pressure and makes for firmer, faster shifts which results in cooler tranny temps. Last I checked the shift kit only required dropping the valve body to install.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Right unless the fluid and filter haven ever been changed. That would make for some real nice toasty fluid. Once changed you will be in for a rebuild anyway.
jeep95xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Go for it. You'll not only have better shifts from the kit, but also because of a clean vb and servos. You tcc lock up issue is probably a brake switch getting funky though.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
mrese
1999 WJ 

I spoke with a trans rebuild shop and they said if it is working DO NOT add the shift kit as thhe higher line pressures have a good chance of messsing things up and you WILL be driving it harder there by hasteninng the tranny's demise.
I do think it is a very solid transmission keep the fluid clean and you will be good to go.
'99 WJ Limited 4.7 K&N Filter CB 3" IRO
302, 000 miles
mrese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
crashcraddock
2000 WJ 

The fluid was changed by the previous owner at 82K. I thought the reduced slippage would make the tranny last longer. I'm not installing the kit to make the tranny shift hard or for racing applications, but just for the reduced slip and firmer tcc lock up. I've also read on some dakota forum that under normal driving you wouldn't notice the kit was installed, e.i. the tranny still shifts the same, just quicker.
Unread 07-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #8
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrese View Post
I spoke with a trans rebuild shop and they said if it is working DO NOT add the shift kit as thhe higher line pressures have a good chance of messsing things up and you WILL be driving it harder there by hasteninng the tranny's demise.
I do think it is a very solid transmission keep the fluid clean and you will be good to go.
Mark, I don't follow. How will the higher line pressures mess things up? I wouldn't hesitate to install the kit, I have one in my ZJ and think it's great. The firmer & faster shifts are just an added benefit compared to the lower tranny temps IMO.
Unread 07-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Not to thread hijack, but how tough are these shift kits to install once the trans pan is off?
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
volvite
1999 WJ 

Agreed, don't know to much about these shift kits
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrese View Post
quicker shifts(harder) and higher line pressure will make a transmission last longer. those soft shifts are because the stock programming lets the clutches slip more between gear engagements.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #12
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
quicker shifts(harder) and higher line pressure will make a transmission last longer. those soft shifts are because the stock programming lets the clutches slip more between gear engagements.
Less clutch slip = less clutch wear. I have my TV cable pulled out all the way for the same reason, though it only does a fraction of the good of a shift kit.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Here's another perspective before you go modding the tranny; I've got 100 K on my tranny and I just recently did the tranny firmware upgrade to get 5th gear added. Significant difference in how it behaves. My rpm at 60mph is down 450 rpm and mileage went up.

Now this upgrade is only available to the 99 & 00 models as the rest already had it from teh factory, but what it did was put in a "taller" final drive ratio....which means (to me) that on the highway, if encountering slight hills, it may be downshifting or coming out of lockup to compensate for the taller gear more then you like.... That makes sense to me at least...

So do this first...look to see if the upgrade has been done by looking for the modification sticker in your engine compartment. If it's there, you might consider asking the dealer to downgrade the firmware (if that's even possible).

Otherwise, I'm assuming that you've already cleaned out your TB for a better throttle response. At 100K miles, mine was NASTY and i could see how it might cause the engine not to have that small bit more breathing ability that makes the tranny come out of lockup for slight grade changes....
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #14
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
Less clutch slip = less clutch wear. I have my TV cable pulled out all the way for the same reason, though it only does a fraction of the good of a shift kit.
Yup. Less clutch slip also = lower tranny temps.
Unread 07-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
crashcraddock
2000 WJ 

The kit is easy to install. There is a good write-up on it at http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33521 . Also I have a 99 4.7 that has the TCM flash and the 00 4.7 doesn't, the 99 shifts much better. At 70mph my 99 with stock tires is about 2000rpm the 00 with 32" tires at 70 mph is closer to 2450rpms. Lastly why fix, rebuild, something if it isn't broke? These trannys can last a long time with the proper maintance, I think at 117K, it's just about half way into the life of my tranny. Even if it goes out at 130K that's another year I can save my cash.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.