Trans fluid change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trans fluid change

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Trans fluid change

my 98 v8 has 197,000 miles and the trans has started acting up lately. the fluid is burnt and reeks to hell and back. i've had it since mar of this year and dont know any of the service records. im an ase certified master tech working on certs for heavy duty diesel so i know my way around cars. i know once it gets to a certain point you shouldnt change the filter, just the fluid. i'm just lookin for some other jeep lovers advice on what to do.

big98tnzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Why would you not change the filter? Ive never heard of that before.
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

If the jeep trans is the same as gm trans are, then if you dont change the filter every 50,000 miles like you're supposed to then it will mess it up i've seen too many of them come into shops where i have worked because they didn't change the filter when it came due and when they finally did it ripped the torque converter out of it because it got used to the old filter where it was clogged up from debris that it started engaging early or too late
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Hmm well my jeep has about 487500 kms and about 15-20 000 kilometers ago I did my filter and it runs like a top no adverse effects. And I had absoutly no idea of previous history. And to be honest I wouldn't think twice about doing it again. In fact my dad is an HD mechanic of about 15-20 years and he was right there while I did my fluid change and the filter.
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
ieattacos
1993 ZJ 

Im also a mechanic n never heard that before i thought it was jus bad to flush....i always change oil n filter when its due thats for any make or model
ieattacos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post
If the jeep trans is the same as gm trans are, then if you dont change the filter every 50,000 miles like you're supposed to then it will mess it up i've seen too many of them come into shops where i have worked because they didn't change the filter when it came due and when they finally did it ripped the torque converter out of it because it got used to the old filter where it was clogged up from debris that it started engaging early or too late
That's about as stupid as saying if you get past certain point on engine oil changes, you shouldn't change the oil filter or the engine will blow up. Clogged filter does restrict fluid flow, but the main reason for the tranny to let go after a fluid & filter change isn't exactly related to that. It would die fairly soon anyways even if you kept running the old filter. Tranny failure happens because of not changing fluid/ filter at certain designed intervals - in other words it's already ruined because of the clogged filter and bad fluid.

Change the fluid & filter, drive a couple dozen miles and redo fluid change. If you have a welder, I suggest welding in a fluid drain plug to the tranny oil pan. Makes your life a lot easier on next fluid changes. I don't know who was the mastermind behind the great idea of not installing one to the pans in the factory

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Toyotas have a drain plug in their trans I wonder why jeep did not. Toyotas also have drain plugs in their diffs man I wish lol.
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
JColee
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj View Post
my 98 v8 has 197,000 miles and the trans has started acting up lately. the fluid is burnt and reeks to hell and back. i've had it since mar of this year and dont know any of the service records. im an ase certified master tech working on certs for heavy duty diesel so i know my way around cars. i know once it gets to a certain point you shouldnt change the filter, just the fluid. i'm just lookin for some other jeep lovers advice on what to do.
I've actually heard this multiple times here and there. Even this weekend at the local Autozone, I mentioned it to the associate and he had heard something similar. I never really knew why it would have adverse effects.
JColee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

So what happens if you have to pull the valve body off do you reuse the old filter?
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

You may prolong the life of the tranny a little not changing the filter if it's been neglected for years, but it won't keep it from failing for too long. I prefer having clean fluid & filter inside the transmission, if it fails then it does. It must've been going bad anyway in that case..

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Unread 10-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #11
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

B&M has a bolt on drain plug kit....just drill the hole and bolt it on.... I know that there are some in-line trans filter kits now-a-days...Makes life easier, and cleaner....
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #12
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba974 View Post
B&M has a bolt on drain plug kit....just drill the hole and bolt it on.... I know that there are some in-line trans filter kits now-a-days...Makes life easier, and cleaner....
One of the shows on Spike's Power Block showed them installing one of those bolt in drain plugs last week. I think that's the way to go as long as the outer part doesn't leak.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 04:05 AM   #13
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
Toyotas have a drain plug in their trans I wonder why jeep did not
The AW4 trans, used in the 1993 4.0L ZJ, has a drain plug as standard equipment. It's one of the ways of identifying the AW4.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #14
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

the whole thing started the other night when i was coming home. i can get up to 55 mph and let off the gas and it kinda jerks then starts slowing down like something is gearing me down it kicks into od and shift fine and accelerates fine but only does it when above 55 i checked the fluid it was a little low so i added about half a quart and went to work tues checked the fluid wen i got home and it was brown and burnt so i figured i would pull pan and valvebody this weekend and clean everything but before i did i was wanting some extra advice
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #15
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

My tranny was acting a bit like that, also felt like it was slightly slipping on 1st to 2nd shifts. I drained the fluid, replaced filter and adjusted both bands (front band is a PITA to adjust), and the tranny has been pretty much fine ever since. Shifts are a lot better now, no slipping. I do suspect the clutches and bands are a bit worn though, so I'm looking at a probable tranny rebuild within 10-20k miles.

***Under construction***

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.