Trans does not shift at redline - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trans does not shift at redline

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
dirtyspitshine
1996 ZJ 

Trans does not shift at redline

Lately I've noticed that when I have the pedal all the way down it shifts smoothly from 1st to 2nd, but from 2nd to 3rd it reaches 4800RPM and then bounces between 4600 and 4800. I let off the gas and the RPMs drop and it drives normally.

I have had no trans problems and service it regularly (fluid/filter). This doesn't happen every time I accelerate hard, only once in a while.

I know very little about automatic transmissions, so I'm in the dark.

Is the ZJ transmission vacuum controlled? Could I have a vacuum leak? Could this be a problem with the shift points or the bands (I don't really know what those are...).

Overall shifting is smooth, even under load or when towing.

I appreciate your time and help!

dirtyspitshine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

I have the same problem in the 1-2 shift. I believe its the Governor Pressure sensor and Transducer. Get mopar parts for this repair.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

try adjusting the throttle valve cable before you go throwing parts at it
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
caseyliffick
1995 ZJ 

None of my GC have ever shifted at redline. Neither of my 95 Laredos or my ex's 99 V8 WJ would cone near redline, they shifted at the rpms you mentioned. Just figured it was a jeep thing.
caseyliffick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
dirtyspitshine
1996 ZJ 

Sorry for the confusion. Mine has never shifted at the redline - it get's close to 5000, around 4800, and shifts. Lately, it's been hitting 4800 and bouncing between 4600 and 4800 until I let off the throttle. It's like there isn't enough of a "signal" to shift, whether it's TV cable related or pressure related. I'll look at the TV cable. I found a couple of writeups. Any specific recommendations?
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
dirtyspitshine
1996 ZJ 

Didn't work...

I know it's been a while, but I appreciate the help. TV cable didn't seem to change anything. Any other thoughts...? I'm praying it's not a trans issue...
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyspitshine View Post
I know it's been a while, but I appreciate the help. TV cable didn't seem to change anything. Any other thoughts...? I'm praying it's not a trans issue...
It's more than likely the governor solonoid and pressure sensor combo. This is a common issue with age.

See the parts here.

I'd get the upgraded governor solonoid (I did as a matter of fact!) as it's a better part than stock.
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
dirtyspitshine
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the help. I'll do some searching on how to replace these. Feel free to recommend a thread if anyone already knows of a good walkthrough.
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
KJK
1998 ZJ 

There's a bunch of info. on YouTube.

Tags
redline , shifting issues , transmission , transmission issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.