tranny swap 97 to a 94 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > tranny swap 97 to a 94

Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 04-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
chevyguy111

tranny swap 97 to a 94

i HAVE A 94 JEEP WITH A BAD TRANNY AND I HAVE A 97 DONOR JEEP BOTH LIMITEDS WITH 5.2 QUADRA TRAC WILL IT BOLT RIGHT UP?

chevyguy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
dethfat
1996 ZJ 

it should, call and a local dealer, talk to the parts dept. and ask them to fax you copies of both build sheets, i called and got mine today, it took them 1min to look it up. There you can see what mopar put in both of the jeeps and it will be easier to search for faq or walkthroughs online.
dethfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
dethfat
1996 ZJ 

and do you know exactly what is wrong with your bad tranny?
dethfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

bolt up? yes, work in any way resembling correct? not a chance.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

It will bolt up, but the '97 is a 44RE and the '94 has a 46RH. The 46 is stronger, and has a purely hydraulic governor that controls the shift timing. The engine computer controls the application of the OD and TCC solenoids.

The 44 has an electronic governor. Basically, it has a speed sensor that reads off the park gear, and then uses a solenoid to control and generate the proper governor fluid pressure. The controls for this were incorporated into the engine computer from '96 to '98. Your '94 won't have the capacity to control it, and you can't just swap in a later computer without swapping over all the wiring and doing some custom work.

'93-'95 4.0l models had a 42RE transmission that also used the electronic governor, but used a standalone module to control it. If you really want to use the '97 tranny, you could try and wire up one of these TCMs to work. But it would probably just be easier to rebuild or replace your 46RH with another 46RH.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.