Tranny Problems!!!!!!!!!help!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tranny Problems!!!!!!!!!help!!!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-28-2004, 08:32 PM   #1
hellrazor

Tranny Problems!!!!!!!!!help!!!!!

The other day, I was driving and gave it some gas and all of sudden it reved but didnt really go anywhere. And right at that momment the check engine light came on. I proceided home very slowly and pulled in the drive way. I put it in 1st and gave it some gas and it jumped like it should. And 2nd was fine to. But when I put it in drive and gave it gas, it rev'ed up and bearly moved. Please tell me this is some kind of sensor or pressure switch, and not a screwed tranny.................Any help is greatly appreciated............

Thanx, Branden

hellrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2004, 10:30 PM   #2
boredinocala

Same Exact Tranny Problem Started Today!!!

My 02JGC 4.0 started doing the same exact thing today. Have you found anything out yet? Feels like it's starting out in 3rd gear because it never shifts. Manually goes into all gears. Most likely a valve body or governor problem.. What do you think??
boredinocala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 12:18 PM   #3
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

HR,

do you have a Haynes or Chilton's manual? If not get one and do the check engine check codes to see what is wrong. With the limited info you gave, it could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter, or the distributor and wires going bad.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 12:44 PM   #4
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

No need for a manual...it's most probably the "output torque thrust sensor". mine went out a couple months ago, and the symptoms were exactly as razor described his. I'm not certain if you can replace this yourself....it was covered under warranty on my truck, so I just let the dealership change it out.
2000 WJ Limited - 2.5" Rusty's springs ¤ WAAG 1-piece front brush guard ¤ custom built WAAG nerf bars ¤ PIAA 580 lighting ¤ Custom Paint ¤ One-off Aluminum Treadplate Door Entry Guards & Rear Bumper Step ¤
1986.5 Porsche 928S - 18" Moda MD1 ¤ Autothority Chips ¤ Rear Muffler Bypass ¤ Short-Shift Kit
Grease Monkey & HNIC @ Clasik Auto
Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 04:55 PM   #5
hellrazor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha_Kip
No need for a manual...it's most probably the "output torque thrust sensor". mine went out a couple months ago, and the symptoms were exactly as razor described his. I'm not certain if you can replace this yourself....it was covered under warranty on my truck, so I just let the dealership change it out.
I know yours was covered under warranty, but do you recall how much the parts or labor would have been???
hellrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 05:31 PM   #6
treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrazor
I know yours was covered under warranty, but do you recall how much the parts or labor would have been???

If it is stuck in third it's most likely in "limp mode" where the trans see's a problem and leaves it in third. If this is the case the problem may be electical. It's common for the solenoid pack to go haywire on WJ's . part $250 , diagnose and repair approx$300.

Good luck - Treats
treats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2004, 11:37 PM   #7
boredinocala

Mine is a 2002 4.0 automatic. OK , I figured it out. My check engine light never came on when the tranny messed up (trans trying to start off in 3rd). My problem was intermitent. Usually happened at least once a day. Didn't matter hot or dead cold, no warning, just did it. After remembering that "you can't fix it if it ain't broke" I patiently waited for it to do it constantly (I always manually shifted so I wouldn't burn it up when I felt it drop to 3rd when stopped. I could tell because it would't hardly go when you let off the brake). Last week on the way to work it did it every time, nows my chance. I pulled it in the shop and dropped the pan - clean. I figured it was a stuck shuttle valve or a clogged solenoid screen. I removed the solenoids and used a scribe to push the shuttles in the valve body back and forth -THAT"S IT!! The second one back had a tight spot, worked free manualy. Put it all back together and it has not come back yet in 200 miles. YEAY. Crap this fluid is expensive! I'm a mechanic, for Ford, but I'm not going to drive one. Jeep RULES!!! Total cost -$40.00 for 6 quarts of mopar OEM trans fluid. (pan gasket reusable)

Last edited by boredinocala; 09-11-2004 at 11:58 PM..
boredinocala is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.