Tranny Problem! Works in reverse only! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tranny Problem! Works in reverse only!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 04-05-2004, 03:49 PM   #1
vedder99

Tranny Problem! Works in reverse only!

Hey everyone. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 V8. Recently the jeep would only go in Reverse. If I put it in D, 3, 2, 1 it kinda revs up but doesnt do anything as far as going anywhere. The shifter is working fine and underneath I can see it shiffting gears. Why would a tranny work in Reverse and not in any other gears???? Do I need to have it fully rebuilt? It gave me error code 12 which is an OUtput Shaft Speed Sensor. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Tyler

vedder99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
RockPaws

Tyler.. Welcome to the Jeep Forum !
First check your transmission fluid level. Check your owners manual and see if its checked in "Neutral" or "Park" shifter position. It will probably say "Neutral" position.
With the engine running and in neutral, check the fluid level in the transmission. When cold it should be just above the hatched mark or lower position of the 2 indication dots or lines. If thats ok, first try changine the filter and fluid. If you don't feel comfortable with doing it, have it towed to a transmission shop. And have them check it out. If you don't know which shop to go to.. interview at least 3 and go with the best one.

Frank
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2004, 05:45 PM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I have a 94 GC I6 with Quadratrac. My FSM states six possible reasons for all drive gears slipping and reverse gear OK. They are as follows:
1- Fluid level. For the Quadratrac check with engine at operating temperature, on level surface & with the trany in neutral.
2- Gearshift linkage out of adjustment
3- Rear trany clutch failure
4- Transmission overrunning clutch failure
5- Valve body malfunction
6- Input shaft seal rings worn or damaged.
Hope this helps...good luck I had my trany replaced last year for slippage in 2nd & third gears. Cost me $ 1,800 at the dealer.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.